More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Surely with them being a big Orange family they wouldnt be 'allowed' to have Catholics attending the funeral anyway?
or have I missed something

Not commenting on the rights or wrongs of any attedance/ invitation accepted or declined

camanchero

Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2012, 11:29:51 AM
I have never heard of people who wanted to show solidarity and sympathy with a grieving family be turned down.  I'm not a republican so my my opinions are not linked to politics, but unchristian was my initial thought and I can't apologise for it now, despite being demonised for it by screenexile. 

My friend in work was murdered by her husband about two years ago.  Her family welcomed and appreciated the support and sympathy from his family.  Those are the lines I'm thinking along. 

(perhaps my naive assumption is that the motives for wanting to go to the funeral are Christian rather than political themselves) 
I'd agree with your point Rois.

I think I also see what Glens abu also means.
though the debate between he and others seems to have taken a more aggressive tone due to misunderstanding.
I'd have thought that a Catholic/SF politician other than McGuinness could have attended the funeral if McGuinness wasnt welcome.
SF didnt kill mr black. Most (nearly all) republicans are not in favour of the dissidents and their actions.
I still have yet to hear what the reason/motive was to kill mr black - was it an indiscriminate killing or as some have hinted in earlier pages (I think) was it maybe a reaction to his actions as a prison guard towards certan prisoners?

glens abu

Quote from: NAG1 on November 06, 2012, 12:00:26 PM
Surely with them being a big Orange family they wouldnt be 'allowed' to have Catholics attending the funeral anyway?
or have I missed something

Not commenting on the rights or wrongs of any attedance/ invitation accepted or declined
Missed the point Orangemen cannot attend a Catholic Mass but nothing to stop Catholics attending an Orangemans funeral.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tonto on November 06, 2012, 05:45:04 PM
Mr McGuinness accepted the families wishes.  He showed a certain level of class in doing so without a fuss. 
Indeed, and class is something that has been lacking on a number of posts here today.

bennydorano

Well said Tonto.  Some people really need to wise the f**k up, such a nonsensical pitiful side argument to be having.

The Worker

Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2012, 11:29:51 AM
I have never heard of people who wanted to show solidarity and sympathy with a grieving family be turned down.  I'm not a republican so my my opinions are not linked to politics, but unchristian was my initial thought and I can't apologise for it now, despite being demonised for it by screenexile. 

My friend in work was murdered by her husband about two years ago.  Her family welcomed and appreciated the support and sympathy from his family.  Those are the lines I'm thinking along. 

(perhaps my naive assumption is that the motives for wanting to go to the funeral are Christian rather than political themselves) 

Good post.

J OGorman

question for Ulick, Glens Abu, Nally Stand et al....(heaven forbid) a family member in your household, be it a grown up son / daughter. Your mother / father, brother / sister is brutally murdered by a loyalist mob. Would you welcome Peter Robinson  / Ian Paisley to the funeral?

glens abu

Quote from: J OGorman on November 06, 2012, 08:31:55 PM
question for Ulick, Glens Abu, Nally Stand et al....(heaven forbid) a family member in your household, be it a grown up son / daughter. Your mother / father, brother / sister is brutally murdered by a loyalist mob. Would you welcome Peter Robinson  / Ian Paisley to the funeral?

If he asked to come Yes with open arms

Maguire01

Yes, but important to note just how few posters are out of step with the thinking of the rest.

All of a Sludden

Has any group claimed responsibility for this murder yet?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Myles Na G.

I don't agree that this thread should be closed. I think it's good that people on here can see the level of hatred and bigotry that some people from within the nationalist / republican community are capable of. Bit of an eye opener for a few.

Tubberman

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 06, 2012, 10:38:42 PM
I don't agree that this thread should be closed. I think it's good that people on here can see the level of hatred and bigotry that some people from within the nationalist / republican community are capable of. Bit of an eye opener for a few.

It certainly has. A depressing one as well. Thankfully I've never come across people with that viewpoint in the 'real world'.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

nifan

QuoteMourners yesterday included the First Minister Peter Robinson and leading members of the SDLP, UUP, DUP, Secretary of State Theresa Villiers, Shadow Secretary of State Vernon Coaker, the Republic's Justice Minister Alan Shatter with Stormont Justice Minister David Ford and senior prison officers from England, Scotland and the Republic.

camanchero

why could sf not send a different rep - if McGuinness was unpalatable for the black family?

wouldnt have thought religion would have mattered to people going to attend a funeral - I suppose you have to credit sf for at least asking rather than have mcguinness turn up and annoy the family.
sf conspicuous by their absence at the funeral. it give rise to the old dup/oo chestnut that sf are indeed the IRA etc - when clearly they are not (though some ex IRA are in the organisation).

After having asked twice on here already , I take it that no reasons have come up about why mr black was killed? Was it a random selection of a prison warder - are all prison warders now at risk again?
practically all republicans apart from those supporting the dissident faction, are against this killing - including the named and maligned posters on this thread (from what I am reading).

Ok so there are a few banged up in prison that may not deserve to be there, but dont think that is a reason to go postal on prison warders. Even if mr black was part of the murky practices of the past, the GFA and road to reunification was supposed to wipe the slate clean of all this - I know that I have and there were many relations of my own tortured and physically abused in prisons around the six counties. Thats over and forgotton - but maybe not by the fecking dissidents ...though I think that one or a few of them had an old score to settle with the unfortunate mr black rather than open season being declared on prison guards.
yez are agruing about nothing imo. everyone on here is against the mans killing.

trueblue1234

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I personally believe that if they had let MMG, as an elected politician go to the funeral it would have been a bigger gesture and would have shown the intent to try and move away from the past. Of course they had the right to ask him not to attend, that's they're decision. The fact that I believe it wasn't the right thing to do doesn't make me a bigot no matter the comments that some people on here wish to throw out. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit