Declan O'Sullivan hangs the boots up.

Started by orangeman, November 19, 2014, 09:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Was never the same player after he got the belt of the handbag.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Kerry, like Kilkenny, are in the habit of attacking their opponents strengths rather than their weaknesses. If this is successfully early on, they run out easy winners.

We should know. In 2004 & 2006 aside from the high ball, Declan O'Sullivan was the main weapon for Kerry running at our best athlete, James Nallen. It worked and it worked early in both games. But it took a player like O'Sullivan to do it.

Class player.
MWWSI 2017

An Fhairche Abu

Fabulous player, my favourite from Kerry over the last decade, it's a shame that his knees have given up to the extent that he mightn't be even able to line out for his club, but all the best to him in a well earned retirement.

Quote from: longballin on November 19, 2014, 07:26:24 PM
Only for Tyrone and Derrytresk he'd have four more All Ireland medals... ho hum...  :P

Actually Derrytresk didn't even win that Junior final afterwards, no guarantee Dromid would have either.

blanketattack

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 21, 2014, 03:39:42 PM
Fabulous player, my favourite from Kerry over the last decade, it's a shame that his knees have given up to the extent that he mightn't be even able to line out for his club, but all the best to him in a well earned retirement.

Quote from: longballin on November 19, 2014, 07:26:24 PM
Only for Tyrone and Derrytresk he'd have four more All Ireland medals... ho hum...  :P

Actually Derrytresk didn't even win that Junior final afterwards, no guarantee Dromid would have either.

Only for Tyrone he might have less medals. Tyrone and Armagh caused a change of manager, training and tactics for Kerry that without they mightn't have beaten Armagh in 06, Monaghan and Dublin in 07, and 3 or 4 of the games in 09.

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2014, 01:28:36 AM
Kerry, like Kilkenny, are in the habit of attacking their opponents strengths rather than their weaknesses. If this is successfully early on, they run out easy winners.

We should know. In 2004 & 2006 aside from the high ball, Declan O'Sullivan was the main weapon for Kerry running at our best athlete, James Nallen. It worked and it worked early in both games. But it took a player like O'Sullivan to do it.

Class player.

They were pretty poor Mayo teams. It's always going to be a black mark against that Kerry team that they had a poor Mayo team in the final.

tyssam5

Quote from: orangeman on November 19, 2014, 09:44:48 AM
I suppose when you're as successful as Kerry are and have been it is easier to do, but they do show class when it comes to most things :

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1735&full=y

Apart from losing...

saffron sam2

This thread now has more posts than the Brian Roper retires thread.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

muppet

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2014, 10:07:27 PM

Thank f**k someone is keeping track of these things.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2014, 10:07:27 PM
Had a nightmare trying to mark roper in a game once.
Declan Osullivan half cut did his best to mark my missus as he was doing his best to chat her up one New Year's Eve in Waterville in front of me a decade or so ago.
Wonder if that Meehan bird from Galway I shifted nearly 20 years ago was any relation to Michael ?!

Hope Declan Osullivan gets his knees right enough to play a wee bit more for dromid. No matter the future pain, yer a long time retired!
Great player. Rolls Royce of a forward - scoring and creating !

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2014, 01:28:36 AM

Class player.

In fairness Nallen was far from our best Athlete in 04-06, maybe circa 96-99. He was well in decline at this stage and if anything it was a weak spot for us.

rodney trotter

An outstanding player. Good luck to him.

rrhf

He brought the war to Tyrone many times. Very skillful runner  in the donellan mode.

orangeman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/declan-osullivan-walking-away-into-the-pantheon-of-kerry-greats-30857905.html

"Declan O'Sullivan had a radical, rebellious mind. The more you try to dominate him, the more dominant he becomes. (He) is the most stubborn of all" - Paul Galvin, In My Own Words.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on December 23, 2014, 10:37:47 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/declan-osullivan-walking-away-into-the-pantheon-of-kerry-greats-30857905.html

"Declan O'Sullivan had a radical, rebellious mind. The more you try to dominate him, the more dominant he becomes. (He) is the most stubborn of all" - Paul Galvin, In My Own Words.

That quote has to be up there with Haughey & Bertie in the pantheon of pot/kettle quotes.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on December 23, 2014, 11:51:11 AM
Quote from: orangeman on December 23, 2014, 10:37:47 AM

That quote has to be up there with Haughey & Bertie in the pantheon of pot/kettle quotes.

Up there alright. Surprised to see Marc Sé in a 3 way tussle for being pig ignorant alongside Galvin and O'Sullivan. I'd have thought Tomás might have run them close.

Good article all the same.