Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Orior

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 11:41:10 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 13, 2018, 11:32:45 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 11:23:27 PM
Astounded that McAreavey is still on the St. Colman's Board of Governors.

St Colmans are doing everything in their power to put this behind them, and identify any other victims or perpetrators.
They can't do both and it's nor is it the point. Similar to Sean Brady he knew what was going on and is using the same excuse that he told his superiors. I'm sure he's a good man and they were different times etc. but sitting on the BoG is a bit dicey imo.

In my experience, the BoG of many schools are usually hand picked and completely ineffectual.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Some strange set ups with Boards of Governors,  in some cases it's like a status symbol that is doled out to those who have pleased the local Clergy. Is there not some sort of pre-requisite?

Minder

Quote from: Orior on February 14, 2018, 09:35:47 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 11:41:10 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 13, 2018, 11:32:45 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 11:23:27 PM
Astounded that McAreavey is still on the St. Colman's Board of Governors.

St Colmans are doing everything in their power to put this behind them, and identify any other victims or perpetrators.
They can't do both and it's nor is it the point. Similar to Sean Brady he knew what was going on and is using the same excuse that he told his superiors. I'm sure he's a good man and they were different times etc. but sitting on the BoG is a bit dicey imo.

In my experience, the BoG of many schools are usually hand picked and completely ineffectual.

He will be easy to replace then
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: bennydorano on February 14, 2018, 09:43:42 AM
Some strange set ups with Boards of Governors,  in some cases it's like a status symbol that is doled out to those who have pleased the local Clergy. Is there not some sort of pre-requisite?

Yes,
be nice to the local PP and maybe have a nice generic job like work in a bank or a teacher.

rosnarun

anyone old enough would not be at all surprised by the physical abuse . it was not even hidden and in the majority of cases the parents were fully aware and they was in all schools national secondary vocational etc. as it was just the way things were done up until the early 80's .
I would not confuse this with sexual abuse at all which a lot of people could not even comprehend let alone implicitly approve of.
I often wonder did priest see it as more normal than other people from their secret knowledge gain in the confessional . though it becoming clearer that abuse by priest is similar to abuse in all other area of society with family members being the largest offenders by a mile.
it was more the handling of the cases that's the real black stain on the church.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

TheOptimist

Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
Anyone else think it a bit strange one of Finnegan's victims took phone calls from him every Saturday and payments when Finnegan was in England supposedly getting therapy and resumed a sexual relationship with him when he came back to Ireland?

What I found strange was the Church were sending him to be "corrected" in England and not to the police.

I also find your post strange!

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: TheOptimist on February 14, 2018, 01:36:54 PM
Anyone else think it a bit strange one of Finnegan's victims took phone calls from him every Saturday and payments when Finnegan was in England supposedly getting therapy and resumed a sexual relationship with him when he came back to Ireland?

What I found strange was the Church were sending him to be "corrected" in England and not to the police.

Is this your first time encountering Tony?

TheOptimist

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 14, 2018, 01:39:24 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on February 14, 2018, 01:36:54 PM

Is this your first time encountering Tony?

First time engaging him just. Doesn't make it any less strange though. Maybe he should speak to a nun about it.

Owen Brannigan

This shows your complete ignorance of the power of the abuser this situation.  The abuser has groomed the victim, abused him, convinced the victim that it is he who is doing wrong and made it impossible to break away.  Abuse is about power over the victim and on the evidence of last night's programme Finnegan was well practised in controlling the victim.

Owen Brannigan

None at all. All appointments to the Board are at the gift of a number of different parties.  On a 9 person Board, 4 will be appointed by the trustees and in a Catholic school trustees will be Church based; one will be voted on by the teachers; one will be voted on by the parents; and the remaining three by either the Education Authority or in the case of grammar schools the Minister for Education.

Many appointed do not understand the legal responsibilities they have assumed either individually or collectively and for the actions of previous Boards that are reconstituted every four years.  Will the diocese of Dromore continue to take the hits for any other abuse claims coming to the fore as a result of recent developments or will the Board of Governors of the school become the focus of legal action by victims?

Orior

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 14, 2018, 02:14:09 PM

None at all. All appointments to the Board are at the gift of a number of different parties.  On a 9 person Board, 4 will be appointed by the trustees and in a Catholic school trustees will be Church based; one will be voted on by the teachers; one will be voted on by the parents; and the remaining three by either the Education Authority or in the case of grammar schools the Minister for Education.

Many appointed do not understand the legal responsibilities they have assumed either individually or collectively and for the actions of previous Boards that are reconstituted every four years.  Will the diocese of Dromore continue to take the hits for any other abuse claims coming to the fore as a result of recent developments or will the Board of Governors of the school become the focus of legal action by victims?

I.... I...... I......  no, I'd better not. Let it go Orior.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl

You should get one of your favourite pedo hunter groups to investigate it

longballin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 14, 2018, 06:19:42 PM
You should get one of your favourite pedo hunter groups to investigate it

Tony's loyalist heroes investigating his catholic church heroes...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 14, 2018, 02:01:52 PM

This shows your complete ignorance of the power of the abuser this situation.  The abuser has groomed the victim, abused him, convinced the victim that it is he who is doing wrong and made it impossible to break away.  Abuse is about power over the victim and on the evidence of last night's programme Finnegan was well practised in controlling the victim.

Bullshit.The victims allegedly were scared of him.But one travelled some distance every Saturday to take his phone calls and a weekly £10 payment when he had the opportunity to sever all connections.Bizarre bordering on complicity.
Tony again blaming the victims.

Taylor

Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 14, 2018, 02:01:52 PM

Bullshit.The victims allegedly were scared of him.But one travelled some distance every Saturday to take his phone calls and a weekly £10 payment when he had the opportunity to sever all connections.Bizarre bordering on complicity.

Complicity.....shame on you. Shame on you