The Edward Carson trophy

Started by dec, July 20, 2010, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Gerry Adams hurls tribute at unionist icon Edward Carson with GAA trophy

A new GAA trophy has been named after the founding father of unionism.

Competitors in the first hurling event in the Stormont estate in Belfast will be playing for the Edward Carson trophy.

On face value, the Dubliner who led the campaign against Irish independence a century ago is an unusual choice for anyone looking to christen a prize for the nationalist sport.

But Sinn Fein MP Gerry Adams, who has helped organise the inaugural 'Poc ar an Cnoc' (Puck on the Hill) which will take place below Carson's famous statue in Stormont next month, thought otherwise.

"I discovered, much to my surprise, that Carson was a hurler in his days at Trinity College (Dublin)," he explained at Parliament Buildings yesterday.

He added: "He got an honourable mention in the Irish Sportsman (journal of the day) as having distinguished himself on the field, so we thought it would be a great idea to have an Edward Carson trophy."

The Poc Fada (long puck) will see hurlers hitting sliotars (hurling balls) up the mile-long Prince of Wales Avenue.

orangeman

Boys a boys ............     ::)

Rois

A historian and Gerry were both on Radio Ulster this morning and the historian basically said that Gerry was wrong, that Carson in fact played "hurley" which was a forerunner to the hockey club in Trinity, not hurling.

Poor Gerry - but he recovered well enough from it.

armaghniac

Is it not also said that Carson played (in his youth) hurling in Athenry. Whatever about the club in Trinity, the Athenry version (before founding of GAA and codification) was hurling. The Trinity club version really being hockey, but called Hurley sounds a bit revisionist to me. More likely that the game was proto hurling but when the nationalist GAA codified the rules, TCD redirected towards the Hockey rules. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on July 20, 2010, 02:53:26 PM
Is it not also said that Carson played (in his youth) hurling in Athenry. Whatever about the club in Trinity, the Athenry version (before founding of GAA and codification) was hurling. The Trinity club version really being hockey, but called Hurley sounds a bit revisionist to me. More likely that the game was proto hurling but when the nationalist GAA codified the rules, TCD redirected towards the Hockey rules.

Sounds about right. The rugby club in Trinity is called Dublin University FC. By the historian's logic, they played 'football' yet I don't think anyone would suggest today that they played anything other than rugby union

pintsofguinness

A GAA trophy?

Gerry names a trophy for hurling and it becomes a "GAA Trophy?"
How does that happen?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Pangurban

Good question Pints, obviously nothing to do with GAA

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 20, 2010, 07:09:25 PM
A GAA trophy?

How does that happen?
SF Publicity Stunt
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Orior

Quote from: Rois on July 20, 2010, 02:18:30 PM
A historian and Gerry were both on Radio Ulster this morning and the historian basically said that Gerry was wrong, that Carson in fact played "hurley" which was a forerunner to the hockey club in Trinity, not hurling.

I thought that the historian was disagreeing with the content of the Trinity Hockey club website, not with G Adams.

By the way Rois, when are we going to see you on the New and Improved Hot Ladies Thread?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

Quote from: Orior on July 20, 2010, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 20, 2010, 02:18:30 PM

I thought that the historian was disagreeing with the content of the Trinity Hockey club website, not with G Adams.

By the way Rois, when are we going to see you on the New and Improved Hot Ladies Thread?

have to agree with rois, gerry was told it had more in common with  hockey and came to dublin from the uper crust english.  it would be nice for sammy wilson to win it though

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Frank Casey

From the TCD site

http://www.gaa.tcdlife.ie/Hurling/history.html

Cumann Iománaíochta Coláiste na Tríonóide is one of the oldest clubs in the history of GAA. Trinity College Hurley Club predates the G.A.A and their activities and attitudes in that time were important factors in stimulating Michael Cusack to initiate the establishment of An Cumann Lúthchleas Gael in 1884.

In 1879, the first meeting of the Irish Hurling Union was held in House 17 of Botany Bay in Trinity College. The college Hurling Club had played hurling in College Park as early as 1810. The club colours were originally green and black. Trinity College Hockey Club was founded out of the hurling club, and they continue to wear green and black. The original Hurling Club counted amongst its members one Edward Carson, later to make his name in an entirely different field.

There was also reference to this in The GAA: A People's History – Mike Cronin, Mark Duncan and Paul Rouse (Collins Press). I cant find my copy (borrowed by little brother) right now but the Trinity Hockey connection is covered.
KERRY 3:7

Nally Stand

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 20, 2010, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 20, 2010, 07:09:25 PM
A GAA trophy?

How does that happen?
SF Publicity Stunt

If any other party did that you would be praising it as a "wonderful step forward" or some other waffle! Me thinks you wouldn't even be happy with a SF press release if you were allowed write it yourself.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

bottlethrower7

Edward Carson was prosecuting counsel in the trial of Oscar Wilde that ultimately brought about his demise.

He doesn't deserve to have shit named after him, whatever about the other stuff he was involved with.

johnneycool

Quote from: dec on July 20, 2010, 02:13:36 PM
Gerry Adams hurls tribute at unionist icon Edward Carson with GAA trophy

A new GAA trophy has been named after the founding father of unionism.

Competitors in the first hurling event in the Stormont estate in Belfast will be playing for the Edward Carson trophy.

On face value, the Dubliner who led the campaign against Irish independence a century ago is an unusual choice for anyone looking to christen a prize for the nationalist sport.

But Sinn Fein MP Gerry Adams, who has helped organise the inaugural 'Poc ar an Cnoc' (Puck on the Hill) which will take place below Carson's famous statue in Stormont next month, thought otherwise.

"I discovered, much to my surprise, that Carson was a hurler in his days at Trinity College (Dublin)," he explained at Parliament Buildings yesterday.

He added: "He got an honourable mention in the Irish Sportsman (journal of the day) as having distinguished himself on the field, so we thought it would be a great idea to have an Edward Carson trophy."

The Poc Fada (long puck) will see hurlers hitting sliotars (hurling balls) up the mile-long Prince of Wales Avenue.

Point of order; This will not be the first hurling competition played on the estate grounds of Stormont.

There was a 7 aside interfirms tournament played in 2000 I think between Northern firms. There was also a gaelic football tournament played at the same time..

nrico2006

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on July 22, 2010, 10:04:24 AM
Edward Carson was prosecuting counsel in the trial of Oscar Wilde that ultimately brought about his demise.

He doesn't deserve to have shit named after him, whatever about the other stuff he was involved with.

Well said.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'