Wood Burning Stove

Started by nrico2006, March 15, 2013, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Anyone know of anyone in the Craigavon/Portadown/Lurgan area with a good reputation for quality and cost when it comes to installing stoves?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

I have been thinking of installing one of these stoves too. If I get any joy, I'll pass on the details.

Onion Bag

Why don't you get the supplier to install it?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

lawnseed

killeen hardware on the newry road outa armagh seem to have a good selection. for quality buy 'stanley' they are a bit more expensive but you have good back up for parts,advice etc. by the way dont bother with a wood burning stove unless you have loads of crap to burn eg pallets/hedge timber and time to saw it and petrol for your chainsaw. because if your gonna buy coal/logs you wont save a penny. it simply isnt economic because the stoves are less efficient at creating heat. your better just buying more oil and spending more on insulation.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Gaffer

Don t buy an insert stove. Buy a free stander if you buy anything.

Insert I bought last year ---------  RUBBISH & EXPENSIVE
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

comethekingdom

Beware of Stanley stoves - all their castings come from China now. I bought a Charnwood and there's deadly heat out of it just burning pallets etc.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on March 16, 2013, 07:51:01 AM
killeen hardware on the newry road outa armagh seem to have a good selection. for quality buy 'stanley' they are a bit more expensive but you have good back up for parts,advice etc. by the way dont bother with a wood burning stove unless you have loads of crap to burn eg pallets/hedge timber and time to saw it and petrol for your chainsaw. because if your gonna buy coal/logs you wont save a penny. it simply isnt economic because the stoves are less efficient at creating heat. your better just buying more oil and spending more on insulation.
Less efficient than what? A cast iron stove releases heat for hours after the fire has gone out so are much better than an open fire.

The supplier can install or recommend an installer. There isn't much to it and me and the bror in law did mine.

Hereiam

Has anyone got a stanley recently. Was thinking if getting one for the new house. Had heard that they are made in china now. Have heard good reports about charnwood but I like the look of the stanley

nrico2006

I have a multi fuel stove, a relative paid big money for it and sold it for a good price. Lit 5 or 6 times as neighbours crying about smoke. Need it put in properly. Currently have a cast iron insert fireplace. Got a quote of 1250 to put it in and have chimney lined, can't be that dear really?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 16, 2013, 10:12:11 PM
I have a multi fuel stove, a relative paid big money for it and sold it for a good price. Lit 5 or 6 times as neighbours crying about smoke. Need it put in properly. Currently have a cast iron insert fireplace. Got a quote of 1250 to put it in and have chimney lined, can't be that dear really?
What the f**k?!  Ring me at work on Monday.

Ulick

The big money there is cost of lining the chimney, though you may not need to have it done. If your house is in NI and built since the mid-60s the chimney is already lined. In that case all you have to do is put the stove in the fireplace, put flue up the chimney and seal the gap around the entrace to the chimney - Molloys on Kilvergan Rd in the 'Kesh cut me a mm accurate piece of plate iron for less than £20. Cut a 5mm grove around fireplace above stove and slide the plate into it. Seal around edges with fire cement and you good to go. Total cost of fitting mine was about £40.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on March 16, 2013, 11:31:42 PM

The big money there is cost of lining the chimney, though you may not need to have it done. If your house is in NI and built since the mid-60s the chimney is already lined. In that case all you have to do is put the stove in the fireplace, put flue up the chimney and seal the gap around the entrace to the chimney - Molloys on Kilvergan Rd in the 'Kesh cut me a mm accurate piece of plate iron for less than £20. Cut a 5mm grove around fireplace above stove and slide the plate into it. Seal around edges with fire cement and you good to go. Total cost of fitting mine was about £40.
Listen to this man. If the house is relatively modern it is unlikely that you need a liner. I didn't line mine - I fitted a piece of fireboard inside the chimney with a hole cut out for the flue pipe, set the stove in place put one end of the flue pipe up through the fireboard and the other into the top of the stove. Fire cement on top of the stove and heat resistant silicone at the join with the fireboard. Would reckon less than 20 quid all in.

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 16, 2013, 06:02:42 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 16, 2013, 07:51:01 AM
Less efficient than what? A cast iron stove releases heat for hours after the fire has gone out so are much better than an open fire.

The supplier can install or recommend an installer. There isn't much to it and me and the bror in law did mine.
Less efficient than oil..

lawnseed

Quote from: Hereiam on March 16, 2013, 09:23:51 PM
Has anyone got a stanley recently. Was thinking if getting one for the new house. Had heard that they are made in china now. Have heard good reports about charnwood but I like the look of the stanley

they might be made in china but its to irish spec and theyre designed here so they should be ok. dont buy a welded stove

nrico2006

I like the sound of your method Baloney but why such an emphasis on lining the chimney etc and at thon cost.  Don't want a delboy job.