Official Laois Gaa Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 18, 2007, 05:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Gonna start a fresh with this as the last one I started was in the first username i had before someone deleted my account
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Laois GAA Results for weekending 18/06/07

IHC: Mountmellick 1-13 The Harps 2-4.
ACHL Div 1: Clough/Ballacolla 4-13 Ballyfin 0-9; Harps 4-9 Camross 2-14; Mountrath V Ballinakill off; Rathdowney/Errill 1-22 Abbeyleix 0-7; Camross 3-11 Ballinakill 0-8; The Harps 1-16 Clough/Ballacolla 2-12.
ACHL Div 2:
Borriss in Ossory 1-10 Clonad 0-7; Rathdowney/Errill 1-11 Colt 0-12; Camross 0-20 Portlaoise 0-7; Shanahoe V Tinnahinch off; Tinnahinch 4-12 Borriss in Ossory 2-11; Camross 2-12 Shanahoe 2-9; Trumera 3-10 Rathdowney/Errill 1-5; Trumera W/O Castletown scr.
ACHL Div 3 Mountmellick 1-13 The Harps 2-4
ACHL Div 4 Play off: Ballypickas 4-5 Timahoe 1-13.
Div 4 semi-finals: Ballypickas 2-11 Camross 1-8; Rosenallis 2-11 Mountrath 1-13.
ACHL Div 5: Timahoe 1-10 Ballypickas 1-10.
IFC: Park/Ratheniska 0-9 Portlaoise 0-8.
JFC: Mountmellick 4-6 Camross 2-6; The Heath 1-10 Spink 0-8; Barrowhouse 0-10 St. Josephs 0-6.
ACFL Div 1: The Rock 1-9 Mountmellick 1-8; The Heath 1-9 Graiguecullen 0-12;
Portlaoise 0-10 Arles/Kilcruise 0-8; Arles/Killeen 1-8 O'Dempseys 1-5.
Div 2: Killeshin 1-13 Annanough 1-9; Saint Manmans 0-10 Portarlington 0-8; Timahoe V Kilcavan off.
Div 3: Graiguecullen 1-14 Arles/Kilcruise 3-5.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Kearns admits Laois not finished article

Laois boss Liam Kearns does not feel that the current crop of players under his guidance are genuine All-Ireland contenders unless they improve significantly.

''You can have all the underage success you like. They are not serious All-Ireland candidates at the moment unless they can progress it further and start to challenge the big teams on the big stage. All they are is serious Leinster candidates,'' Kearns said.

But Kearns has admitted that his side have been cursed with injuries and believes that the O'Moore County would give Tyrone a good run for their money in the injury stakes.

''Tyrone have gotten more publicity but we've been plagued throughout the year. We had ten players in civvies for our last league match when we drew with Kildare. Tom Kelly, Noel Garvan, Aidan Fennelly, Beano McDonald, Garry Kavanagh and Barry Brennan are all on the injury list at the moment,'' Kearns remarked
You'll Never Walk Alone.

cavan4ever

Are u the only Laois poster on the board ?

Heshs Umpire

No he's not. He just posts more than the rest of us. ;)
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

The Real Laoislad

Kelly thrilled as minors continue to excel

LAOIS minor manager Eddie Kelly doesn't seem like someone who gets carried away too easily and even after watching his immensely talented minor side beat near neighbours Offaly by 11 points he was quickly worrying about keeping heads level and feet on the ground.
Steven Miller reports

Carlow are next up in the Leinster final but the main thing about winning Saturday night's game was that Laois now have a second chance should they do they unthinkable and lose in their next outing.
"Yeah we're very happy," he said outside the winning dresssing room. "It was a local derby and you'd expect it to be close. They gave us a big fright at the start and we thought we were really going to be up against it but we settled down and got back with points which was good - we didn't need a goal to get back into the game."
Offaly's early goal was something that might have shaken lesser teams but Laois hardly even took notice and kicked a string of spectauclar points to have the game as good as wrapped up when they were going in for half time.
"A goal into the wind was a bit of a shock but it happened in the first minute - I looked at the watch and there was less than a minute - so there was plenty of time for us to respond.
"I was very worried (coming into this game). Offaly had beaten us at U-16 and they won out the U-16. Now it wasn't as organised a championship as this but at the same time I was worried the same thing would happen.
"It was a good win alright but we have to keep the lads' heads level now because we're still only in a Leinster final. It was the most important game of the year to win as far as I'm concerned because you get two chances in the Leinster final. When you get to a Leinster final you get to play in Croke Park and for a young lad that's nearly better than a medal.
"We definitely didn't expect a win like that. Offaly were missing their full-back Daniel Hales, and he's one of their best players so he was a big loss to them because Conor Meredith had a great first half. Himself and Donie (Kingtson) kicked a few great points in the first half. They're all able to win their own ball and they're able to hold the man off too which is great because they're able to take the challenges."
As for Laois' new dynamic forward talent James Doyle, Kelly had no worries about throwing him in to championship football despite him only joining up with the panel a little over a month ago after his transfer from Athy to St Joseph's eventually went through.
"He worked out great. He came in around five weeks ago and he played very well against Kerry in a challenge match so we knew he'd do a job if he went in there. He's a good finisher. We have plenty of big men on the team and he mightn't be the biggest but he oozes skill and he's hardy bit of stuff for a small fella."
More of the same from all of them will do just nicely on Sunday week.

© Leinster Express
Filed under: Laois Football

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Heshs Umpire

I just wanted to give this competition a bit of a plug.
It's an eight team knockout tournament being run by the O'Dempseys club in memory of Ber, one of their greatest clubmen. As far as I know he was chairman of the club for many years and also no mean player in his time.
There are senior and intermedate teams from Kildare, Laois and Offaly in it and the first game is next Friday evening at 7.45 pm with last year's beaten IFC finalists in Offaly, Raheen taking on Rathangan who have lost more IFC finals in Kildare than they would care to remember in recent years.
Raheen are trained by Pat Brophy, former Laois and Emo stalwart. Other teams in the tournament include the hosts O'Dempseys, Portarlington, Courtwood, Walsh Island, Monastervan and Round Towers.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

The Real Laoislad

Kearns bemoans Dublin goals

Laois boss Liam Kearns identified Dublin's ability to score three goals at crucial times as the main reason for his team's defeat in Sunday's Leinster final.

Dublin scored their first two goals in a minute towards the end of the first half, turning a three point deficit into a three point lead at the break. Their third came at the beginning of the second half just as Laois were beginning to chip away at the lead.

"They got the goals one after the other and that was crippling," Kearns told the media after the game.

"The third one was very poor from our point of view as, well after that, we were always in trouble. They got men behind the ball and it was very hard to break them down. From there we were chasing the game. We had chances but we needed to get them in the back of the net."

'It was nearly a soccer match at the end they had so many men behind the ball and they were breaking. I'm proud of the players. They kept going till the end. Championship football is very cruel. You can't give away goals like those."

The former Limerick boss also admitted that it would be tough to rouse the Laois players for their qualifier with Derry a fortnight from now.

"They are very disappointed inside. We put a lot into this game. We'll get back to training on Thursday night. It all depends on whether the players have the stomach for it."

Filed under: Laois Football
You'll Never Walk Alone.

rrhf

whilst the Goading by the Dubs was alarming, it was also experienced by Tyrone last year, remember Billy Sheehan. 

Uladh

TRLL and Hesh.. the two o ye could just text other and save onthe cyber space...

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Uladh on July 17, 2007, 12:14:38 PM

TRLL and Hesh.. the two o ye could just text other and save onthe cyber space...
The signal's a bit dodgy once you get past the Gandon Inn..

Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2007, 11:38:20 AM
whilst the Goading by the Dubs was alarming, it was also experienced by Tyrone last year, remember Billy Sheehan. 

At the risk of reigniting a debate that's now 4 days old...... there's a big difference between man-to-man verbals and doing it for the benefit of the crowd.

The Real Laoislad

Laois put end to Rossies' MFC title defence

LAOIS 1-13 ROSCOMMON 1-11

REIGNING champions Roscommon were dumped out of the ESB All-Ireland MFC on Saturday when a 46th minute goal from Laois's Donal Kingston proved the difference in a thrilling quarter-final at Semple Stadium.

Kingston put down a marker on this game with 1-3 to his credit, but it wasn't an easy ride for the Leinster champions.

The sides were level on five occasions during the opening half despite Laois having coming from a 0-2 to 0-0 deficit after five minutes with corner-forwards Alan O'Hara and Darren McDermott taking scores.

However, Laois excelled in the second half to open up a 1-12 to 0-9 gap with seven minutes remaining. Laois were on fire in all sectors at this stage, with defender Zach Tuohy, midfielders John O'Loughlin and Damien Lowry; and forwards Conor Meredith and Kingston all making the scoresheet.

An injury to centre-half-forward Donal Shine in the second half left the reigning champions with an uphill battle and a fine point from man of the match John O'Loughlin in injury time opened up a five points gap.

A late penalty kick from substitute Leon O'Connor cut the gap to two points by the final whistle.,

SCORERS - Laois: D Kingston 1-3 (2f), C Meredith (2f), J O'Loughlin 0-3 each, Z Tuohy (2 45′) 0-2; K Lillis, D Lowry 0-1 each. Roscommon: A O'Hara 0-4, D McDermott (3f) 0-3, L O'Connor (1-0 pen) 1-0, D Lennon, C O'Neill, D Shine (1f), K Brady 0-1 each.

LAOIS - C O'Shea; R Kehoe, J Mulhare, J O'Connor; K Lillis, C Boyle, Z Tuohy; D Lowry, J O'Loughlin; S Ramsbottom, D Kingston, B Smyth; J Doyle, C Meredith, E Kelly. Subs: K Farrell for Smyth (54); B Seale for O'Connor (58); B Glynn for Lowry (59).

ROSCOMMON - D O'Malley; N Carty, N Collins, P O'Grady; J Sharkey, J McKeague, E Bannon; C O'Neill, K Higgins; P Garvey, D Shine, K Brady; A O'Hara, K Cummins, D McDermott. Subs: A Duffy for Shine (inj 38); N Brogan for Brady (41); D Lennon for Bannon (47); L O'Connor for Cummins (57).

REF - M McGann (Clare).

You'll Never Walk Alone.

pedro

Lads, just watchin the laois Football final here on Setanta. Obviously, I have a big interest as we are due to play Portlaoise on 11th Nov.
I have to say 'The Town' look to be pretty hot. They were dominant all over the field but then I have to ask are Stradbally rated at all in the county?
They seemed to have a lot of ahem,, heavy.. players. they seemed to be poor enough to my eye and Begley didn't quite have the influence which was probably expected of him.

Any views?
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

billy the kid

I think the GPA should be ashamed of themselves they are undermining everything the GAA stands for.  What they are asking for is Pay for |Play dressed up in fancy clothes.

They are an elitist Organisation who are only concerned with themselves and I firmly believe its a case of a few leading the many.

Don't get me wrong i totally agree with players being treated well and looked after if they get injured but they are always looking for more and more.

Currently every season inter-county players in Derry get:

2 pairs of boots
2 full kits a season,
2 full sets of training gear. (1 wet and 1 normal)
1 rain jacket
1 zip up top
1 jumper
2 polo shirts
1 tracksuit
Home training Equipment
Free access to state of the art gym

All the above are official Derry gear from O neills with emblems and crests and this is only the gear I KNOW FOR CERTAIN they get!

Also they have access to a top class physio, team doctor dietician and heart screening facilities.

they receive meals after ALL games and on the way to away games

they get fed after every training

and they also get VERY GOOD rebates on their mileage expenses.

Again these are jut the things i KNOW FOR CERTAIN!!

for each national league game they receive 4 passes each allowing friends and family to gain admission to the games for FREE and the passes can be used for both hurling and football even if only involved in one code.

They receive at least 2 and sometimes more FREE tickets for ALL championship matches they are involved in

They receive 2 good tickets for the all Ireland final in their code (hurling or football) for FREE

Before the club championship begins they receive a pass allowing them to gain FREE entry to ALL championship matches within the county in EITHER code at ANY level

The above list was given to me when I asked a PRESENT COUNTY PLAYER from our club about conditions at inter-county level.

I don't think anyone would begrudge them these things as the gear and medical farcicalities are a MUST and so are the mileage expenses and the meals.

The other stuff are added perks and again I would say Just right they are training very hard and giving a big commitment to Our County.

Looking at the list I would say our county players are fairly well looked after wouldn't you? And this is just the example of our county alot of other counties like Armagh and Tyrone get even more gear and perks which again is fair enough.

But to ask for money and to make out that they are so hard done by and listening to some of their leaders you'd think some were hardly fit to feed themselves and on the way to financial ruin is an absolute myth and border line lie!! Nobodies making them play!!!

What ever happened to being proud to play for your county and pride in the jersey? That used to be enough to make people play for their counties.

Has Pride and honour fallen of the radar of the GPA in their obsession with self-worth and self-gain.
If pride in the jersey and being honoured to represent your County plus the list i have supplied aren't enough to make individuals play for OUR county teams do we really want them to? The type of character who would undermine the very fabric of our great organisation to line his own pockets.   

I was also informed by the County player from my own Club that most county players don't want to strike but are being openly pressurised to do so. Is this Democracy?

Its also evident the GPA are so far removed from the grassroots GAA and the supporters that they haven't noticed that the vast majority are strongly against it, but why would they listen to us mere mortals?

Down Manager Ross Carr has the right idea:

If these prima donnas strike and refuse to play Each County should find a panel of players who will represent their counties for pride honour and the other perks i listed. There would be a stampede to trials and it would totally negate the strike and render their actions futile and meaningless.

We cannot let the elitist few hold the rest of us to ransom while they try to gain financially for doing what most TRUE Gaels consider an Honour and a privilege – PLAY FOR YOUR COUNTY  
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

OakLeaf

I've added a new Live Scores feature to GAA Radio. If you're at any Laois club games it'd be good if you could text score updates to 447624804328. This service is free for everyone to view at http://www.gaaradio.com/scores/liveScores.jsp . Thanks.