GAA Discussion > Laois

Official Laois Gaa Thread

<< < (2/4) > >>

The Real Laoislad:
Kelly thrilled as minors continue to excel

LAOIS minor manager Eddie Kelly doesn’t seem like someone who gets carried away too easily and even after watching his immensely talented minor side beat near neighbours Offaly by 11 points he was quickly worrying about keeping heads level and feet on the ground.
Steven Miller reports

Carlow are next up in the Leinster final but the main thing about winning Saturday night’s game was that Laois now have a second chance should they do they unthinkable and lose in their next outing.
“Yeah we’re very happy,” he said outside the winning dresssing room. “It was a local derby and you’d expect it to be close. They gave us a big fright at the start and we thought we were really going to be up against it but we settled down and got back with points which was good - we didn’t need a goal to get back into the game.”
Offaly’s early goal was something that might have shaken lesser teams but Laois hardly even took notice and kicked a string of spectauclar points to have the game as good as wrapped up when they were going in for half time.
“A goal into the wind was a bit of a shock but it happened in the first minute - I looked at the watch and there was less than a minute - so there was plenty of time for us to respond.
“I was very worried (coming into this game). Offaly had beaten us at U-16 and they won out the U-16. Now it wasn’t as organised a championship as this but at the same time I was worried the same thing would happen.
“It was a good win alright but we have to keep the lads’ heads level now because we’re still only in a Leinster final. It was the most important game of the year to win as far as I’m concerned because you get two chances in the Leinster final. When you get to a Leinster final you get to play in Croke Park and for a young lad that’s nearly better than a medal.
“We definitely didn’t expect a win like that. Offaly were missing their full-back Daniel Hales, and he’s one of their best players so he was a big loss to them because Conor Meredith had a great first half. Himself and Donie (Kingtson) kicked a few great points in the first half. They’re all able to win their own ball and they’re able to hold the man off too which is great because they’re able to take the challenges.”
As for Laois’ new dynamic forward talent James Doyle, Kelly had no worries about throwing him in to championship football despite him only joining up with the panel a little over a month ago after his transfer from Athy to St Joseph’s eventually went through.
“He worked out great. He came in around five weeks ago and he played very well against Kerry in a challenge match so we knew he’d do a job if he went in there. He’s a good finisher. We have plenty of big men on the team and he mightn’t be the biggest but he oozes skill and he’s hardy bit of stuff for a small fella.”
More of the same from all of them will do just nicely on Sunday week.

© Leinster Express
Filed under: Laois Football

Heshs Umpire:
I just wanted to give this competition a bit of a plug.
It's an eight team knockout tournament being run by the O'Dempseys club in memory of Ber, one of their greatest clubmen. As far as I know he was chairman of the club for many years and also no mean player in his time.
There are senior and intermedate teams from Kildare, Laois and Offaly in it and the first game is next Friday evening at 7.45 pm with last year's beaten IFC finalists in Offaly, Raheen taking on Rathangan who have lost more IFC finals in Kildare than they would care to remember in recent years.
Raheen are trained by Pat Brophy, former Laois and Emo stalwart. Other teams in the tournament include the hosts O'Dempseys, Portarlington, Courtwood, Walsh Island, Monastervan and Round Towers.

The Real Laoislad:
Kearns bemoans Dublin goals

Laois boss Liam Kearns identified Dublin’s ability to score three goals at crucial times as the main reason for his team’s defeat in Sunday’s Leinster final.

Dublin scored their first two goals in a minute towards the end of the first half, turning a three point deficit into a three point lead at the break. Their third came at the beginning of the second half just as Laois were beginning to chip away at the lead.

“They got the goals one after the other and that was crippling,” Kearns told the media after the game.

“The third one was very poor from our point of view as, well after that, we were always in trouble. They got men behind the ball and it was very hard to break them down. From there we were chasing the game. We had chances but we needed to get them in the back of the net.”

‘It was nearly a soccer match at the end they had so many men behind the ball and they were breaking. I’m proud of the players. They kept going till the end. Championship football is very cruel. You can’t give away goals like those.”

The former Limerick boss also admitted that it would be tough to rouse the Laois players for their qualifier with Derry a fortnight from now.

“They are very disappointed inside. We put a lot into this game. We’ll get back to training on Thursday night. It all depends on whether the players have the stomach for it.”

Filed under: Laois Football

rrhf:
whilst the Goading by the Dubs was alarming, it was also experienced by Tyrone last year, remember Billy Sheehan. 

Uladh:

TRLL and Hesh.. the two o ye could just text other and save onthe cyber space...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version