Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

The Peoples Front of Judea - F$$k Off

Real1995

For me the biggest rivals in Armagh at the minute is the bridge and cullyhanna....absolute hatred....as for Cross biggest rivals...think u hav only to read Oisin's book to get the answer for that....The only club team that he mentioned that they so badly wanted to beat was- Mullaghbawn. .... At the minute thou - Cross hav no rivals, because no-one can touch / or even come close to them..
Nice guys always finish second!

illdecide

I think this one has run it's course and as much as i tried to stir things up a bit ;) ;) i think it's time to blow the whistle..
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

IVEDECIDED

Ill decide when the whistle is blew! It doesnt matter that it was the YIS' or the Harps cause championships that were won back then shouldnt be counted anyway. There could only have been a few teams, not like it is today. When you add this to the fact that the north armagh teams had to play in Antrim for years because of the hostilities, it cant be fair to judge them on competitions they were not a part off. I think it was 1945 before Clan na Gael entered the Armagh championship.

full back

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on February 20, 2008, 02:33:08 PM
There could only have been a few teams, not like it is today

There might as well only be one team today

bennydorano

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on February 20, 2008, 02:33:08 PM
When you add this to the fact that the north armagh teams had to play in Antrim for years because of the hostilities, it cant be fair to judge them on competitions they were not a part off. I think it was 1945 before Clan na Gael entered the Armagh championship.

That's interesting didn't know that, what hostilities are you referring too, WW2? 

St Peter's, Wolfe Tones and Tir na nOg won Championpships in that 30's/ 40's era.

winsamsoon

YI's were in existence from 1917 to 1934. not 1889 to 1934, now run along.

Great way to loose an argument benny by telling people to run along. But the best laugh of all was trying to use Prince logic to explain gaelic football success. Would you away and catch a grip of yourself. You can't claim what you didn't win full stop.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

bennydorano

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 20, 2008, 12:25:18 PM
Jesus Benny I thought the clanns men were bad for going back into history.

With your logic the ogs could claim half of those championships.

Maybe if they'd called themselves the Continuity Harps or Real Harps you'd have a point.  Didn't think you liked splinter groups down south armagh way ;)

winsamsoon

Benny i like you style son come out fighting till the death. we'll call it a day on the issue.

Homer

Quote from: hardstation on February 20, 2008, 03:38:32 PM
Armagh used to play under the name 'Ard Macha' but now play under the name 'Ard Mhacha'.
Maybe they should have a couple of Ulster titles taken away from them.

They should also be stripped down to a single All-Ireland title.

Oh wait.....

illdecide

Quote from: Homer on February 20, 2008, 03:58:52 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 20, 2008, 03:38:32 PM
Armagh used to play under the name 'Ard Macha' but now play under the name 'Ard Mhacha'.
Maybe they should have a couple of Ulster titles taken away from them.

They should also be stripped down to a single All-Ireland title.

Oh wait.....

Very good Homer ::) ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

Its the way you tell them homer ::)

winssam, the point I am trying to make to you, but you have overlooked, is that teams dont have to be successful to have a rivalry.

Homer

Ah lads I'm only stirring. No need to give me the eyes!

winsamsoon

Who said they did full back. I have acknowledged that there are different types of rivalries. but the rivalry between the Clans and the Cross is solely down to success. at one stage they were challenging for supremacy. The cross have surpassed that now but the rivalry still exists because of the past memories. Where you are picking up the vibe from me that rivalries are only based on success i do not know. So perhaps it is you that doesn't understand. ;)

stephenite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 20, 2008, 10:27:58 AM
Put all 3 of you boys together and you match our record ;D

stephenite, there must be fear in the West!  If we beat Vincents, you boys have to keeo your side to the bargain to have a re-run of the 1999 Final.  The Dream Club Final may not happen if you do that :P

No fear at all BC, just that our club holds the record for consecutive County senior football titles - if Cross win this years County in Armagh then they equal it!

As to the small matter of the All Ireland, we'll keep our concentration on Nemo for now and not be too bothered about who awaits if we manage to get through Sunday. We'll start concentrating on that from Sunday evening