Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Benny, I think you'll find that Clans are second, then the Harps and then Armagh Young Irelands :P

Farrandeelin

To break the Armagh contingent grip on this thread, you'd swear there was more clubs than Crossmaglen in that county!! :P ;)

Anyway, I was talking to a Ballina Stephenite player recently and he says he hates every club in Mayo because Ballina are treated like the Basque separatists. He has a serious siege mentality anyway. Stephenite could you confirm/deny please? Moy Davitts hate Knockmore anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bennydorano

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 19, 2008, 01:18:28 PM
Benny, I think you'll find that Clans are second, then the Harps and then Armagh Young Irelands :P

Now now, don't be at it, every one knows the YI's were the Harps, we could even try to claim the one St Malachy's won.

winsamsoon

Broken i would be interested to see the stats benny has pulled from his internet sources because as you correctly stated the Clans do lie in second place. Benny we are quiet aware that we are hated but there were posts going on there about hated teams and i never heard the clans mentioned in it. If we are hated, we are hated for a reason and you may find the answer in your stats but it really doesn't bother us that much. In many ways it provides you with some motivation. So keep up the good work in the motivation department. Full back i hope you didn't burn the crown jewels when you spilt the tea mate  :D :D
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

full back

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 19, 2008, 02:06:46 PM
Broken i would be interested to see the stats benny has pulled from his internet sources because as you correctly stated the Clans do lie in second place. Benny we are quiet aware that we are hated but there were posts going on there about hated teams and i never heard the clans mentioned in it. If we are hated, we are hated for a reason and you may find the answer in your stats but it really doesn't bother us that much. In many ways it provides you with some motivation. So keep up the good work in the motivation department. Full back i hope you didn't burn the crown jewels when you spilt the tea mate  :D :D

Crown jewels are fine thanks sam :D
You are correct in saying the Clans are hated, but I suspect not for the reason you think ;)

illdecide

I could laugh at you Market (Dromintee) men saying Cross are your rivals. 15 years ago you were fighting it out with your real rivals "Corrinshigo and Forkhill"
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Harps are second in the roll of honour - EOS. Harps have 20 compared to Clan's 14.

Taken from Harps website:

It was in 1916 that Armagh Young Irelands were formed but opinion seems to favour the view that this club was one and the same as Armagh Harps with many committee and playing personnel being interlinked between the two. Fr.Peter Kerr (1989-91 Senior Team Manager) has studied these years in depth and has read of intense rivalry at matches with players arriving on horseback with two valuable pieces of equitment - a sledge hammer and a crowbar! John Vallely, Frank McAvinchey, Joe Harney and Jack Corrigan, were outstanding personalities at this time and all were part of Armagh's All-Ireland junior winning team of 1926. Also prominent was Joe Houlahan, grand Uncle of Gerard Houlahan, and of course the legendary Jim McCullough.

full back

Quote from: illdecide on February 19, 2008, 02:56:19 PM
I could laugh at you Market (Dromintee) men saying Cross are your rivals. 15 years ago you were fighting it out with your real rivals "Corrinshigo and Forkhill"

:D
Thats a low dig illdecide

Uladh

If we are hated, we are hated for a reason

Yes...     "yap, yap, yap..."

full back

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

corn02

Just like when you were in Division two Illdecide recently? Who were your rivals the Tones and Newtown? Stupid point. As I said the last decade Cross have been our rivals.

bennydorano

Would Dromintee have the underage structure/numbers etc.. in place to remain a Senior club long term or is it a case of a couple of good batches of players coming along at the right time?

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteNext door neighbour rivalries exist in very parish in ireland. you could list every pair of neighbouring club and you have a local derby. for there to be real rivalry between clubs, one criteria would certainly be people from other clubs travelling to a league game between two teams in anticipation.

The only game i'd put in that category this season would be cullyhanna v Cross

That's a big game though - the capital of Upper Creggan against the capital of Lower Creggan!
Would Dromintee have the underage structure/numbers etc.. in place to remain a Senior club long term or is it a case of a couple of good batches of players coming along at the right time?

Benny, I take your point although I can never remember any decent Mullaghbán underage sides yet they've been a competitive senior club for most of the past 2 decades and have won county and Ulster titles in that time.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

corn02

I see your point Benny. I am confident, however, that the work done by the committee and the commitment shown by those within the club are enough to sustain Dromintee as a senior club. Yes our numbers are small, but the structures are in tact and I can not see it slipping any time soon.