The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on August 29, 2022, 10:04:06 AM
Quote from: Zooming around on August 29, 2022, 09:36:33 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 29, 2022, 09:07:57 AM
Quote from: Zooming around on August 28, 2022, 04:57:50 PM
Are the football squads in similar/better/worse shape?

The 15 football set up is better in spite of rather than  due to any support from the CB,Mentors are driving it themselves whilst battling those that should be helping them

The 14 set up ran divisional trials in March/April but unlike the hurling there was actually management in place to view the games

Squad put together and started to train in May probably would get similar hidings if there was a football Forristal but there's 6-9 mentors in place and they are working to a plan for the next 12-14 months

The default setting appears to be the word No to most suggestions mentors put in place and most of these requests aren't costing a nickel to implement

Apologies for all the questions but you seem to know your way around the squads. Would you know why a request for something that doesn't cost a nickel would be turned down.

Apathy?

Having to go beyond the bare minimum in a job your paid to do?

A culture of accepting the lowest common denominator?

Not giving a shit and not being held to account?

And as was proved by Laois in the Forristal in 2017 and by the Minors this year,the talent is within the county

But we as adults are failing the kids of the county

Every

Single

Year

Shameful and scandalous

Jd

Just another small question how can they put mentors in place when people are not willing to allow their names to go forward. I was involved with a team in there for a while and to be fair to the co board anything that was looked for within reason was provided. A huge problem is actually getting people to come into be part of setups. We covered the Co looking for people to help at different levels. But could only get three volunteers.  So while I know the Co Board are far from perfect some blame must attach itself to people who are not willing to help out both at County level and also at club level

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on August 30, 2022, 05:39:38 PM
Just another small question how can they put mentors in place when people are not willing to allow their names to go forward. I was involved with a team in there for a while and to be fair to the co board anything that was looked for within reason was provided. A huge problem is actually getting people to come into be part of setups. We covered the Co looking for people to help at different levels. But could only get three volunteers.  So while I know the Co Board are far from perfect some blame must attach itself to people who are not willing to help out both at County level and also at club level

And that's a very fair point too

clonadmad

Laois GAA starting the search for underage development squad mentors for 2023 good and early

If anyone has the necessary qualifications,I'm sure they would be delighted to hear from you

https://forms.office.com/r/SY0t7p4xD0

mcwregor

With the senior management now in place has there been any progress on the minor and u20 set up?
I think the u20s should have a decent outfit plenty of good hurlers around that age. You would expect a good number of this years minors to make the step up too.
Derek McGrath hasn't taken on any other role that I know of, hopefully he can be convinced to stay on. He has improved a lot of the players that he has had under him in the past couple of years.
I think Ollie Hally was mentioned to keep hold of the u20 job. If he does I think he could try to get someone with a bit more experience at a high level with him. Cheddar would add to the u20 set up imo, he would bring a bit of professionalism and passion into the group and set them up for senior county hurling.

Otherwise and ideally I would like to see Cheddar get involved and help drive the setanta programme and possibly oversee the development squads. I think there is a role there for someone and Cheddar would be the ideal candidate for it. Until we get our house in order here its hard to see us making much tangible progress at adult level.

Laois man

What clubs make up Na Fianna in the U20 hurling Cship?

clonadmad

Quote from: Laois man on September 14, 2022, 01:28:27 PM
What clubs make up Na Fianna in the U20 hurling Cship?

The amalgamations are in the fixtures and Gradings email sent out to your club secretary

Zooming around

Interesting that there hasn't been any comment on the minor final. I couldn't go. I was raging as it's the first one I've missed in years. Did any of ye get to it? By all accounts it was a very good game.

Laois man

Just a Question sorry if this is not the page to post this. How are all the camogie games in O Moore Park cash at the stiles as payment and the hurling and fball all tickets?

burdizzo

Probably because the Camogie is still a different association?? Not sure. I think these all-ticket matches are a pain in the hole, myself.

Laois man

Agree. But I seeing cash being taking at a hurling game at the stiles a few weeks ago and it was a all ticket game.

Giovanni

Quote from: burdizzo on October 12, 2022, 01:45:45 PM
Probably because the Camogie is still a different association?? Not sure. I think these all-ticket matches are a pain in the hole, myself.

I find myself going to far fewer games now than I used to, mainly because of this. And I'm only in my 50s! I think it must be affecting attendances.

burdizzo

Yes, I agree - very much in the same boat as you! I might have casually decided to stroll up to a semi-final, but pre-buying tickets was just too much trouble!

clonadmad

Been at games in Kilkenny

Card reader at 2  stiles
Cash taken at 1 stile

And the rest you sail through after you scan

I know in one county,Attendances are up a third with cash taken in around 20%

Handling cash is a pain in the ring in an amateur organisation