Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 17, 2011, 11:45:46 PM
Good piece that, with Casey. I remember him recounting before that in the midst of the All-Ireland hype in 1996 with all sorts of press corps arriving in Charlestown, into his shop arrives a crew from feckin' Eurosport! How could that not affect you? Casey has been hard done by by history. He was something else in 1996 but then injury kicked in.

Casey was... Feck it I remember him beating Sligo virtually single handed at U21 and Mayo went on to AI final that year as far as I can remember. He was midfield and just brilliant energy. Full forward in 96 but wouldn t be his best position. But nobody put a glove on him and he was just gone for the finals. John played Trevor ff as well. And similar enough players, both better taking the game on. An awful loss. Anybody that disses John Casey is best ignored.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2011, 12:44:07 AM
Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.

You have to be right Sligonian, sure weren't they beaten by Sligo only 12 months ago.

maigheo

I remember seeing Casey in both the 94 and 95 u-21 allirelands and to me he was head and shoulders above any other Mayo player and we had alot of good players on both of those teams.It was a terrible pity about the injuries as he could have gone on to have had a stellar Mayo career.

Mayo4Sam

Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.

Good man Sligonian, tell it like it is.

In '96 Knockmore had just hammered Crossmolina in the first round of the championship, I was in the mart the following morning with the oul fella and met one of the cross lads oul fellas who told us this was the worst Knockmore team he'd ever seen. When he left the oul fella said he was always a bollix and knew nothing about football.
We got to the All Ireland final.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2011, 08:40:34 AM

Good man Sligonian, tell it like it is.

In '96 Knockmore had just hammered Crossmolina in the first round of the championship, I was in the mart the following morning with the oul fella and met one of the cross lads oul fellas who told us this was the worst Knockmore team he'd ever seen. When he left the oul fella said he was always a bollix and knew nothing about football.
We got to the All Ireland final.

:D :D he was hardly going to say ye had a great team mayo4sam, a man would rather die than admit that ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

boosabum

Quote from: moysider on August 18, 2011, 01:11:39 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 17, 2011, 11:45:46 PM
Good piece that, with Casey. I remember him recounting before that in the midst of the All-Ireland hype in 1996 with all sorts of press corps arriving in Charlestown, into his shop arrives a crew from feckin' Eurosport! How could that not affect you? Casey has been hard done by by history. He was something else in 1996 but then injury kicked in.

Casey was... Feck it I remember him beating Sligo virtually single handed at U21 and Mayo went on to AI final that year as far as I can remember. He was midfield and just brilliant energy. Full forward in 96 but wouldn t be his best position. But nobody put a glove on him and he was just gone for the finals. John played Trevor ff as well. And similar enough players, both better taking the game on. An awful loss. Anybody that disses John Casey is best ignored.

Casey started at wing back against sligo and moved to midfield when mayo were losing, he made a big impact and the game eneded in a draw. Mayo won replay easily. He started midfield in the U21 final replay against kerry. If memory serves me well, one of the RTE pundits said he was the only mayo player worth mentioning after the final which drew the rath of many mayo people as they believed he was poor that day.
As for having a poor AI final in 1996, all he got all day was high ball kicked in on top of him, nothing in front of him to dash out for. This poor play made an all star of darren fay. Unfortuantely for John, his hitting the ground in the replay fracas didn't cast him in a great light with some folk

rrhf

Chimley

He was our best footballer on that U-21 team |but he was not a natural midfielder in my opinion. He formed a decent enough partnership with Brady though until they came across Darrah O'Shea in the final.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rrhf on August 18, 2011, 10:03:32 AM
Ive a feeling for Mayo
+1

Maybe its the excitement and anticipation taking over but I really do think Mayo are poised for a huge performance on Sunday.

ballinaman

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 18, 2011, 10:24:46 AM
Ive a feeling for Mayo
+1

Maybe its the excitement and anticipation taking over but I really do think Mayo are poised for a huge performance on Sunday.

Same here. Can't see us not putting it up to them this time. First 10-15 minutes will be huge. Kerry will go for our throats from the off, we need to hang in there by our finger nails if necessary. If we are within 3-4 points at the half we're in with a serious shout. Dead in the water if we give away a soft goal early on, Kerry are notorious for going for the kill early, soft penalty v Meath in 08 and Meath were chasing the game straight away.
Stay with them and it'll rattle Kerry, sure Mayo always lie down...can see Gooch and Donaghy bitching already

Tubberman

Quote from: ballinaman on August 18, 2011, 10:54:46 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 18, 2011, 10:24:46 AM
Ive a feeling for Mayo
+1

Same here. Can't see us not putting it up to them this time. First 10-15 minutes will be huge. Kerry will go for our throats from the off, we need to hang in there by our finger nails if necessary. If we are within 3-4 points at the half we're in with a serious shout. Dead in the water if we give away a soft goal early on, Kerry are notorious for going for the kill early, soft penalty v Meath in 08 and Meath were chasing the game straight away.
Stay with them and it'll rattle Kerry, sure Mayo always lie down...can see Gooch and Donaghy bitching already

Agree that the first 20 mins is crucial. That's when they've beaten us in the past. And I would have worries about that on Sunday - remember Cork could have got another couple of goals in that period of the first half. There was the Higgins block and another chance where Kerrigan blasted it over when he could have gone for goal if he really needed/wanted to.

But if we keep close to them going into second half, our lads will be confident. The youthful legs and the sheer hunger might be more than Kerry could muster up.

Bomber Liston was on Newstalk this morning - he didn't sound worried. He said Mayo had blown their cover against Cork, and Kerry will be ready for them. He said Kerry would have too much for Mayo, and that Mayo carried the ball into tackles and turned it over far too much in their matches. The only weakness he saw was around Kerry's midfield, but he didn't seem to think it could cost them the game.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Sam2011

Ive a feeling for Mayo

You ain't the only one! ;D

I heard train tickets for the early train and the special train for the match are sold out for Sunday here in the west, but they might put on another train. Looks like a big Mayo crowd are traveling! ;)

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 11:09:43 AM
Bomber Liston was on Newstalk this morning - he didn't sound worried. He said Mayo had blown their cover against Cork, and Kerry will be ready for them. He said Kerry would have too much for Mayo, and that Mayo carried the ball into tackles and turned it over far too much in their matches. The only weakness he saw was around Kerry's midfield, but he didn't seem to think it could cost them the game.

He was spot on with that - we really need to cut down on that and move the ball fast rather than carrying it into tackles where we're likely to lose the ball or at best, lose momentum.

Kerry Mike

as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.

Lets hope that holds up on Sunday but we will worry about our own performance. I have no worries  about our backs remember every night they show up at training they have to face Gooch donaghy the Sullivans etc. Do the mayo backs face the same quality of player in their training games. Talk if a weak midfield will only help Sheehan and Maher  remember they were  pin pointed against Cork and Limerick as weak links but they won those days  with a bit to spare . Remember the performances in the league and how we started and more importantly finished against cork .  We have alot left in the ank now that the dirty petrol is gone. Kerry to deliver a good performance on sunday
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 18, 2011, 11:53:40 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 11:09:43 AM

He was spot on with that - we really need to cut down on that and move the ball fast rather than carrying it into tackles where we're likely to lose the ball or at best, lose momentum.

You just got there before me macdanger2 - hopefully Horan has worked on this with both O'Sheas in particular, as Kerry will punish this more severely than Cork. Our best hope is not to give them the chance - once the ball is won, give it to a team-mate rather than going on a solo run.