Is Enda Kenny really the man to save Ireland?

Started by rrhf, February 24, 2011, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2011, 08:22:02 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on February 24, 2011, 08:15:47 PM
What's a sleeveen?  Have seen it on the board a few times but not sure of the meaning

http://www.slang.ie/index.php?county=Dublin&entry=sleeveen

Like a 'cute hoor' only less likable.
Ah I see.  That's some website.  Could be using a few of them this weekend
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2011, 08:06:01 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 24, 2011, 08:03:41 PM
Where's you know who? Not like him not to throw him in front of the cannon in defence of Enda Kenny and the Fine Gael party.

It has probably all become too much for tonight.

I have a vision of him in a room with a bottle of vodka, an iphone and that stupid nursery rhyme app.

Ha ha were you lads talking about me, well don't drink vodka, I am a stout and real ale man. I have a cheap ass Nokia & couldn't use an i-phone to save my life. Music most played today where the Rubberbandits new song, Saw Doctors, Rod Stewart & Lilly Allen.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Orangemac

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 24, 2011, 05:54:42 PM
People have very short memories, in a few years we`ll all forget just how bad things were in 2011 and we`ll want FF back in power. Inda is not the man to save Ireland, but he is not as much to blame for the current mess as anyone in FF, so he will be Taoiseach by default. He is probaby the least worst option.
If things don't improve in the next few years which is quite possible it could go 1 of 2 ways, either FF will be forgiven and back in power or SF/left will increase their vote as they will be seen as the real opposition.

On Enda Kenny

1) If he had any real ability surely either the FG government of the 80s or 90s would have had him in a position of power?

2) He has done a decent job of reviving FGs fortunes but avoiding Vincent Browne and Today FM smacks of cowardice.

3) An early test of whether anything will change will be the Seanad appointees. I know FG want to abolish the Seanad but this will not be for a few years at the earliest. If it is 11 cronies, it is business as usual.

That cockroach Eoghan Harris was on Newstalk yesterday praising Enda Kenny. Obviously looking to be reappointed. Make me want to be sick listening to him.

Hardy

Quote from: Orangemac on February 24, 2011, 10:08:53 PM
3) An early test of whether anything will change will be the Seanad appointees. I know FG want to abolish the Seanad but this will not be for a few years at the earliest. If it is 11 cronies, it is business as usual.

Good point. It will be a very interesting indicator.

Billys Boots

I couldn't do it! I voted Labour. Aaaargh. Depression, followed by feed of pints. Aaaargh.  :-[
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

baoithe

Quote from: Hardy on February 25, 2011, 01:32:55 AM

Good point. It will be a very interesting indicator.

I could never be described as pro-FG but I would have thought that until such time as any new government does reform or abolish the Seanad it needs its full quota of appointments in there so as to allow the easy passage of legislation through the upper house. Otherwise, if the government was not in control of the Seanad, legislation could be delayed for months.

It was my view that the Seanad should be directly elected mid-term at local election time. That way the sitting government would be encouraged to ensure it adheres to the promises upon which it was elected (leaving aside whether a coalition actually has a mandate). I think it would allow opposition to pass more legislation also, as if the opposition controlled the Seanad, a sitting government (ie the Dáil) would be more inclined to trade support for legislation with the Seanad which would encourage a more bi-partisan parliamentary system. We certainly would not have any railroading of legislation through the houses. This is one of the core reasons for having  an upper house. Of course there are flaws to this idea but I think it should be looked at. Certainly, to my mind abolishing the Seanad simply as a cost saving measure doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It'd be a mere drop in the ocean and doesnt have the same symbolism as cutting the salaries of top civil servants and/or TDs.

rrhf

Some interesting points,  for those who dont think we need a leader and a finacial head on the ceo then Id ask them to imagine if it was a job interview for a company you own which under the last ceo got into trouble, ie  is finacially on its knees but you still believe it has the products, the people and a bright future if it was run right, so you need to appoint a new ceo, to both restructure the thing financially and to renegotiate terms with suppliers etc.    Now if that person had neither charisma, negotiating skills, real forward planning, confidence, nor financial wherewithall, I know I wouldnt be giving him the job.
The idea of anyone voting FF FG ahead of any of the other parties shows that not only have the Irish people lost their money and their standing in Europe but they have also lost their confidence and their desire to effect change is diminished.   There appears to be a desire for the man on the street to remain an underling to the established political classes, rather than entertain a new direction and take risk   

Tubberman

Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2011, 11:10:25 AM
Some interesting points,  for those who dont think we need a leader and a finacial head on the ceo then Id ask them to imagine if it was a job interview for a company you own which under the last ceo got into trouble, ie  is finacially on its knees but you still believe it has the products, the people and a bright future if it was run right, so you need to appoint a new ceo, to both restructure the thing financially and to renegotiate terms with suppliers etc.    Now if that person had neither charisma, negotiating skills, real forward planning, confidence, nor financial wherewithall, I know I wouldnt be giving him the job.
The idea of anyone voting FF FG ahead of any of the other parties shows that not only have the Irish people lost their money and their standing in Europe but they have also lost their confidence and their desire to effect change is diminished.   There appears to be a desire for the man on the street to remain an underling to the established political classes, rather than entertain a new direction and take risk

If you're talking about SF here, it's far more than a risk!!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

HowAreYeGettinOn

2) He has done a decent job of reviving FGs fortunes but avoiding Vincent Browne and Today FM smacks of cowardice.

Far too much being made of this IMHO. Enda knows full well how difficult VB can make life for him, so he's cute enough to avoid it. Just like Brian Cowen did for his entire tenure as Taoiseach, despite several requests from the Vincent Browne programme to appear on it. I don't remember anyone calling Cowen a coward just because he wouldn't get in the ring with Vincent.

And anyway, does doing well on Vincent Browne or Matt Cooper make you a leader or win you elections? Micheál Martin went on to Vincent last week and, as usual, was slippery and aggressive. VB couldn't lay a glove on him. He then did the same on the Last Word (telling Cooper to 'get over himself' at one stage).

The Independent and other media were killed telling us how great Micheál did. The effect on FF's showing in the opinion polls? Zero.