The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2022, 02:33:52 PM
Letting him in to the country says one rule for him and one rule for everyone else. I didn't see how they could do that irrepsctive of the topic tbh.

Its a mess in fairness, but there will be examples of sports people getting in and others being made a big topic over, the reality is they have had just over 2,000 deaths, the big spike at the minute is the new virus which (fingers crossed) isnt hospitalizing as many people.

Move it to Queensland, there has been very few deaths there, 8!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lenny

Quote from: Man Marker on January 07, 2022, 02:38:36 PM
And you think him being vaccinated would have stopped him getting covid. It very obvious this is a pollical move.  He was ok'd by the tennis authorities (they have to take a good chunk of blame for not being all over this as well) Mondays court hearing will tell a tale. Big news day.

itg, that would be true if it was only him. But by reports there have been a number of less high profile sports people entered with similar evidence. As I say the court hearing on Monday will tell a tale.

It doesn't stop him getting Covid but it dramatically reduces his chances of needing hospital treatment if he gets Covid. Exceptions can't be made just because he's a decent tennis player. Otherwise every unvaccinated person who had Covid last year will expect the same treatment and many of them would end up in hospital.

Gmac

Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2022, 02:49:47 PM
And you think him being vaccinated would have stopped him getting covid. It very obvious this is a pollical move.  He was ok'd by the tennis authorities (they have to take a good chunk of blame for not being all over this as well) Mondays court hearing will tell a tale. Big news day.

itg, that would be true if it was only him. But by reports there have been a number of less high profile sports people entered with similar evidence. As I say the court hearing on Monday will tell a tale.

It doesn't stop him getting Covid but it dramatically reduces his chances of needing hospital treatment if he gets Covid. Exceptions can't be made just because he's a decent tennis player. Otherwise every unvaccinated person who had Covid last year will expect the same treatment and many of them would end up in hospital.
is there any  fit young athlete who had to go to hospital with Covid ? I may be setting myself up here but I haven't heard of any

lenny

Quote from: Gmac on January 07, 2022, 03:02:56 PM

is there any  fit young athlete who had to go to hospital with Covid ? I may be setting myself up here but I haven't heard of any

So you think there should be one rule for him and one rule for the rest of us. I'm afraid I completely disagree. If you allow him in on an exception you open the floodgates and there will be loads of unvaccinated people who'll end up taking up valuable hospital beds.

imtommygunn

Yeah I have read of a few runners. I don't have links right now but in particular a marathon runner who got hit with it and went from regular running to barely being able to walk.

I don't think this story is really about covid or vaccinations tbh. You can't have one rule for one and one rule for others. How it was allowed in the first place I don't know or it has been a political stunt to reverse it or whatever but it shouldn't be a story. You put rules in place everyone should have to follow them.

Ed Ricketts

Karl Darlow is one. Josh Kimmich didn't sound too hot either. I'm sure you'd find more across various sports if you went looking. It's clearly uncommon, but not unheard of, for young people to become seriously ill from this virus.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on January 07, 2022, 04:22:24 PM

Karl Darlow is one. Josh Kimmich didn't sound too hot either. I'm sure you'd find more across various sports if you went looking. It's clearly uncommon, but not unheard of, for young people to become seriously ill from this virus.

Yeah Kimmich sprung to mind straight away. He suffered massively and has serious lung problems as a result.

David McKeown

Not looking great for the Government in the early exchanges in the appeal hearing
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: David McKeown on January 10, 2022, 02:08:19 AM
Not looking great for the Government in the early exchanges in the appeal hearing

how so?
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/10/novak-djokovic-news-australian-open-verdict-covid-vaccine/Judge Anthony Kelly asked for government assistance to facilitate the Serbian's safe transport to and from his hotel after technical issues frequently caused the stream to crash amid worldwide interest.

Most foreigners are still banned from travel to Australia, and those granted entry must be fully vaccinated or have an exemption like "acute" illness.

Government lawyers reject Djokovic's case, and are expected to argue later on Monday that he fails to meet the medical criteria as his recent infection was not "acute".

They will seek to have his appeal dismissed with costs, according to a 13-page court submission, paving the way for his deportation as soon as Monday evening.

Anti-vaccine activists shared a link to the livestream and defied a court order by broadcasting proceedings live on YouTube.

Eventually, the judge pressed ahead without a public livestream, and Djokovic's team of top-flight lawyers made his case.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

David McKeown

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 10, 2022, 03:11:03 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 10, 2022, 02:08:19 AM

how so?

It was clear from the initial exchanges that the proper procedures were not followed and that the Judge was highly critical of the government for that. Interestingly the fact that a recent Covid infection did amount to a medical exemption was not as central to Djokovic's argument as the way he was treated which I think just shows how badly the government officials played this one.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Man Marker

Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2022, 03:08:24 PM

So you think there should be one rule for him and one rule for the rest of us. I'm afraid I completely disagree. If you allow him in on an exception you open the floodgates and there will be loads of unvaccinated people who'll end up taking up valuable hospital beds.

As I said early doors on Friday its political. Thrown out of court. A blind man could see it except very pro vaxxers. Its tara that in area of Ireland where people should be able to smell a rat from government, especially on trampling an individual's rights.

imtommygunn

The plot thickens. Apparently re-arrested.

Man Marker

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2022, 09:23:38 AM
The plot thickens. Apparently re-arrested.

No, inaccurate

Immigration minister still deciding on whether to abuse their power once more