building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Dont be going for any fancy colours first time round - paint the house white for now - you will have plenty of time to change

LeoMc

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 19, 2021, 09:54:44 PM
Anyone paid for painters recently for the interior of a new build? Whats the rough rate? We have a 4bed 2800sqft house, was wondering what it will cost. 5k? 10k?

Don't rush into painting it, let it settle for a couple of years first. You will only have to repaint when the cracks appear.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 19, 2021, 09:54:44 PM
Anyone paid for painters recently for the interior of a new build? Whats the rough rate? We have a 4bed 2800sqft house, was wondering what it will cost. 5k? 10k?

5 years back, we got the whole inside of a slightly bigger new build sprayed white for about £1200 including the paint. (Spraying might be an option on a new build). Then the painting of skirting and doorframes was another £800 or so.  Whole house was sprayed in 2.5 days.
Have only pained one of the kids rooms since. 

Nanderson

Would anyone know what sort of fee i'd be looking at for planning permission in NI for putting up a large tent that would be used for car detailing?

https://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/storage-shelter-pro-7x7x3-8-m-pvc-w-skylight-grey.aspx

It would be well hidden off the road down a private lane and the neighbours wouldn't cause any bother in reporting it for not having permission only problem is it would be technically a commercial property and i wouldn't want it to affect any insurance issues

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Nanderson on October 23, 2021, 08:27:38 PM
Would anyone know what sort of fee i'd be looking at for planning permission in NI for putting up a large tent that would be used for car detailing?

https://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/storage-shelter-pro-7x7x3-8-m-pvc-w-skylight-grey.aspx

It would be well hidden off the road down a private lane and the neighbours wouldn't cause any bother in reporting it for not having permission only problem is it would be technically a commercial property and i wouldn't want it to affect any insurance issues

So you even need PP for temporary structures?

Nanderson

Quote from: StPatsAbu on October 23, 2021, 08:59:49 PM

According to NI planning website the 2 catagories it requires planning permission for is because its over 30m2 and not being used for domestic purposes

Main Street

Quote from: Nanderson on October 23, 2021, 09:18:24 PM

According to NI planning website the 2 catagories it requires planning permission for is because its over 30m2 and not being used for domestic purposes
Would it not be cheaper to  hire somebody else to do the detailing?

Nanderson

Quote from: Main Street on October 23, 2021, 11:56:33 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on October 23, 2021, 09:18:24 PM

Would it not be cheaper to  hire somebody else to do the detailing?
It's starting my own business

RedHand88

If you're using a contractor to build a house do you need your own house insurance or does the contractor cover that until they've finished?

rrhf

They should be covering that until handover that but always worth asking what is covered. Any subcontractors that you employ will need to supply their details to him for approval.

Nailer

RRHF is correct, the contractor takes possession of the site and is responsible until it is completed and the house is handed over to you. Strictly speaking he controls who can enter the site throughout the contract period, as an employer you have responsibilities under the Health  & Safety Regulations but your architect will keep you right on this. An N1 form should be submitted to the H&S Executive in advance notifying them of the project. Very often contractors don't bother too much with the H&S paperwork for one off houses and the job gets done but you should be aware of your responsibilities in any event. The builder should prepare a H&S plan for the project which is a live document, risk assessments and method statements for each item of work should be added to it as the job progresses and as been suggested already, he should check his sub contractor's insurance prior to starting on site.
You or your architect should request a copy of your builder's insurance in advance, and if it is due renewal during the contact, ask for a copy at that time.

Milltown Row2

Getting new kitchen at the minute, with knocking down a wall to extend the kitchen and tiles throughout..

I have to say the guy we got doing it has been very good, he's organised everything run very smoothly, was having nightmares about cowboy builders and shitty work, but touch wood he'll be finished next week ish!!

Oh and not hard to pay, just my wife has went over budget with other shit!

That'll be 3 weeks of eating microwave shit! And living in the front room! Would budget living in an Airbnb 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general

purchased new house mid sept - kitchen circa 20 years old, quality fantastic, dont think we would get the same quality again if we bought new one.

any recommendations for replacement worktops (stone) and kitchen spraying?

Nailer

Take a look back on this thread, there were a number of companies recommended  for granite worktops and quartz. Not sure about spray / hand painting recommendations,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nailer on January 24, 2022, 05:35:14 AM
Take a look back on this thread, there were a number of companies recommended  for granite worktops and quartz. Not sure about spray / hand painting recommendations,

We got the doors painted by a guy from Ards direction, gave the kitchen a real do up at the time, good job, mid Ulster granite is where we got our new work top, expensive enough to be fair, waiting on it to be fitted so can't say how it is until then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea