The North American / Canada GAA and Hurling thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 18, 2007, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

It was a shock to hear the news from Ireland of a car accident which claimed the life of star gaelic footballer Ciaran Shannon R.I.P.

Ciaran played County for Wicklow and also for Toronto Gaels up until he emigrated back to Ireland 2 years ago.

He was a superb footballer, husband, father and person, needless to say the G.A.A community in Toronto is in complete shock.

slievegullion

Hi I wonder could someone answer a couple of questions for me about New York teams.

What level would Down or Armagh be at? Who would be favourites for the cship? and is there someone on the board who would be able to give me some detailed information on the standard of these teams or would anyone have contact details of someone I could talk to?

Any help would be appreciated.

buglebhoy

Who's favorites for the Toronto Championship this year Gaby??

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: slievegullion on June 30, 2009, 12:02:51 PM
Hi I wonder could someone answer a couple of questions for me about New York teams.

What level would Down or Armagh be at? Who would be favourites for the cship? and is there someone on the board who would be able to give me some detailed information on the standard of these teams or would anyone have contact details of someone I could talk to?

Any help would be appreciated.

Down would be favourites along with Cork for the Senior title.
Armagh play Intermediate and would be one of the stronger teams in that division!
You thinking of coming out?

slievegullion

Well not me personally but a mate from work. Hes thinking of going out but would wanna play at the top level.

So how many teams are in the senior championship?

Carmen Stateside

NY Senior Table

p  w  d  l    pts
Cork                     3   3  0  0    6
Tyrone                 3   3  0  0    6
Leitrim                  2   2  0  0    4
Down                   2   2  0  0    4
Kerry                    3   2  0  1    4
Sligo                     4   1  0  3    2
Cavan                   3   0  0  3    0
Donegal                3   0  0  3    0
Four Province        3    0  0 3    0

Weekend results 
Down 2-11  Sligo1-9
Leitrim 2-13  Donegal 0-11
Cork 0-17  Cavan 2-8
Tyrone 2-13  Kerry 1-8

FL/MAYO

Whats happened to Donegal they used to be always good in NYC.

Carmen Stateside

With the numbers going down each year teams have found it hard to keep going, Donegal s main problem is that they are trying to keep two teams going in Senior and Junior.
Derry folded just this year due to lack of numbers.  Most of them joined their neighbours Tyrone.

Carmen Stateside

Cross That Murtagh Can Bear

Tyrone 2-12 Kerry 1-5

Johnny Murtagh put on a scoring display on Sunday at the Mecca that was glorious for Tyrone. It gave them what was an easy win over last year's senior football champions Kerry, and keeps Tyrone firmly in the playoff race.

Crossmaglen native Murtagh fired over 1-10 from play and frees and his goal was a gem. He lasered the ball to the top corner of the net for the goal.

Kerry were ripped apart in the second half when they were outscored 1-6 to 0-2. But for some wides by Tyrone it would have been far more.

Tyrone began this game in flying form. They had two of the first three points, with Murtagh getting both. After an equalizer from Ross Donovan, a brilliant score, Tyrone again attacked.

They were using the long ball into Murtagh to good effect, and it was working very well. Their next score came in a much more orthodox way, however. A long ball to the center of the field was secured by Darren Petit; he fed Paul Mulherne who in turn released Pakie McMullan on the forty. The center forward did not stop until he fired the ball to the net.

They had further chances that went awry before Murtagh again slotted over a point from play that extended their lead to 1-3 to 0-2. Further points by Gary Reilly, a gem on the run, and Murtagh again gave them a substantial advantage.

As the half approached they were using good play by Mulherne and Steve Keating to give them great advantages throughout.

Kerry were not about to sit down, however, and a point from Bingo Driscoll gave them the impetus to get going. It continued when Shane Carty found Dave McSweeney with a cross field ball; the veteran flicked to Kieran Bergin and The Kid blasted to the net. It cut the deficit in half as the break approached.

Tyrone started the second half in explosive form. They had four of the first five scores of the half. All their points came off the boot of Murtagh, who was now in brilliant form.

Two points for Kerry from Carty and Kavanagh, a free, gave the Kingdom a respite, but it did little to deter what was now a rampaging Tyrone side.

A long ball from impressive midfielder Gary Reilly found Murtagh in the right corner. His blast to the top corner left Shane Clifford motionless. An outstanding goal that punctuated his man of the match performance.

He followed a McMullan point with another point, his 10th of the afternoon on an outstanding personal performance.

Tyrone will be delighted that they won this in a regular fashion. The goals were very impressive, but the 12 points even more so.

Paul Mulherne was outstanding at the back, and a close second to Murtagh in the man of the match accolades. Gerard McCullough completely snuffed out the threat of Kavanagh, and Joe Bell also had a leading role.

Garry Reilly and Eamonn Lyons easily won the middle of the field. Reilly will have a marked effect on the championship this season. Pakie McMullan, Conor Downey and Darren Petit, who was a little unfortunate to be replaced, showed constantly. Murtagh was outstanding; the best individual display this year in football.

Kerry will have to regroup, and quickly. The easy wins are over with and the dog days of summer are upon us.

Eoghan O'Mahoney, Kieran Bergin in his second game of the day, and Bingo Driscoll were the few who left with reputations intact.

Kerry: 1 Shane Clifford, 2 Niall Corbett, 3 Damien Walsh, 4 Enda Lally, 5 Collie Fearan, 6 Damien O'Reilly, 7 Eoghan O'Mahoney (0-1), 8 Damien Meehan, 9 Conor Wall, 10 Shane Carty (0-1), 11 Ross Donovan (0-1), 12 Kieran Bergin (1-0), 13 Bingo Driscoll (0-1), 14 Stephen Kavanagh (0-1), 15 Dave McSweeney. Subs: Sean Twomey.

Tyrone: 1 John McGinley, 2 Joe Bell, 3 Gerard McCullough, 4 Paul Mulherne, 5 Seamus Skeffington, 6 Stephen Keating, 7 Aiden Power, 8 Gary Reilly (0-1), 9 Eamonn Lyons, 10 Eunan Meyler, 11 Pakie McMullan (1-1), 12 Kevin McSorley, 13 Conor Downey, 14 John Murtagh (1-10), 15 Darren Petit. Subs: Paddy Maguire, Garth McGrory.

Some pics of Tyrone vs Kerry
http://peter-marney.smugmug.com/gallery/8733809_9Je9e#P-1-20

boojangles

Carmen have you seen Cork play at all this year? A good friend of mine is playing with them.He's a Cavan man but he is one of that London crew you mentioned that landed over last Summer.His name is Francie Cleary,he was playing with New York against Mayo. Wouldnt mind hearing how he's getting on. A small lad plays half forward for Cork,but wirey as f**k and a serious engine.Ya mite have noticed him?

Carmen Stateside

Yeah have seen him play he has been playing well for them, he has serious pace, good player.  Cork look good and are many peoples favorite to win it this year.

Check out these pics from Sunday.

http://peter-marney.smugmug.com/gallery/8733499_Aizkj#577536524_jvwi2

behind the wire

Any word on the football situation in Philadelphia this year? It wasn't so good last year, just wondering has it improved any for the new season.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Family guy

A certain former kerry great out at the park last nite cheering on roscommon,herd his sanction wasnt through.Surely mega bucks there 2 get him for the summer :o

boojangles

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on July 02, 2009, 02:53:29 AM
Yeah have seen him play he has been playing well for them, he has serious pace, good player.  Cork look good and are many peoples favorite to win it this year.

Check out these pics from Sunday.

http://peter-marney.smugmug.com/gallery/8733499_Aizkj#577536524_jvwi2

Thanks a mill Carmen,I spotted him anyway along with a good few Cavan boys from back home.

Tommy Tight Lips