Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Hmmm.. Galway have given Cody more hardship more than most (and a tutorial in 2001) . Galway clubs have a decidedly good record v. KK ones in AI club c'ships.

Kilkevan

Quote from: mouview on June 17, 2017, 12:43:44 AM
Hmmm.. Galway have given Cody more hardship more than most (and a tutorial in 2001) . Galway clubs have a decidedly good record v. KK ones in AI club c'ships.

Hardship yes but very few defeats and almost none in important matches.

seafoid

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 17, 2017, 11:20:10 AM

I think 2005 hurt. The backlash in 2006 was brutal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on June 17, 2017, 05:47:43 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 17, 2017, 11:20:10 AM

I think 2005 hurt. The backlash in 2006 was brutal

I said almost none, I did not say none.

sid waddell

I don't recall any of the Sunday Game pundits calling for Brian Cody to be banned from all GAA activity for at least 12 weeks for assaulting a linesman during Saturday night's match against Waterford.

Double standards, actually it's worse than double standards given that it was a far more serious incident than the incident which Diarmuid Connolly was banned for.

In the GAA you get banned because of who you are and escape a ban because of who you are.

It's pathetic.

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2017, 08:42:23 PM
I expect Eddie Keher to be wheeled out any minute

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/asking-whether-brian-cody-should-end-kilkenny-reign-is-the-most-idiotic-question-of-all-time-35914836.html

I wonder what Marty thinks.

I think the article makes a lot of sense. Kilkenny are a long way off where they were but they haven't become a bad team overnight. I think tiredness had a lot to do with it and that they'll be better next year for having the break this one. I don't think the team is All Ireland material anymore but I'd be surprised not to see them being more competitive in twelve months.

That Cody should be allowed to stay is without question. After all the man has done for Kilkenny it would be ridiculous and unforgivable to shove him out. At the end of the day, the county board isn't going to do that so the decision will be, as ever, Brian's.

All the media is trying to do is sell content.

Quote from: sid waddell on July 10, 2017, 09:57:07 PM
I don't recall any of the Sunday Game pundits calling for Brian Cody to be banned from all GAA activity for at least 12 weeks for assaulting a linesman during Saturday night's match against Waterford.

Double standards, actually it's worse than double standards given that it was a far more serious incident than the incident which Diarmuid Connolly was banned for.

In the GAA you get banned because of who you are and escape a ban because of who you are.

It's pathetic.

He should get a 24 week ban starting now!

seafoid

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 10, 2017, 10:08:48 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/asking-whether-brian-cody-should-end-kilkenny-reign-is-the-most-idiotic-question-of-all-time-35914836.html

I think the article makes a lot of sense. Kilkenny are a long way off where they were but they haven't become a bad team overnight. I think tiredness had a lot to do with it and that they'll be better next year for having the break this one. I don't think the team is All Ireland material anymore but I'd be surprised not to see them being more competitive in twelve months.

That Cody should be allowed to stay is without question. After all the man has done for Kilkenny it would be ridiculous and unforgivable to shove him out. At the end of the day, the county board isn't going to do that so the decision will be, as ever, Brian's.

It's pathetic.

They became a bad team over maybe 18 months.
The backs are not up to scratch.
Of course Cody should decide but the public has a short memory. Meath people thought getting rid of Boylan was the answer.

Asal Mor

Cody is very slow to bring in young players. It was fine for lads to serve long apprenticeships when kk were strong but they were crying out for some new blood on Saturday. Not being wise after the event but I thought leahy and cleere from the u21s should have started.

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2017, 10:37:43 PM

It's pathetic.

Of course Cody should decide but the public has a short memory. Meath people thought getting rid of Boylan was the answer.

They had a good league last year up until the semi, they won Leinster and got to the All Ireland. That's not the mark of a bad team. In my opinion, Cody's problem at the moment is he hasn't got anyone strong working with him. I get the feeling Cody is a little similar to Brian Clough. Cloughie always needed Peter Taylor with him to be able to work to the maximum of his ability. The staff Cody has now are all nice men but whether they have the strength to tell Brian when he's wrong is debatable. Martin Fogarty was far more key to Kilkenny than people realised and Cody needs either him back, doubtful given Fogarty's job now, or someone in his mould.

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 10, 2017, 10:47:08 PM
Cody is very slow to bring in young players. It was fine for lads to serve long apprenticeships when kk were strong but they were crying out for some new blood on Saturday. Not being wise after the event but I thought leahy and cleere from the u21s should have started.

One of the reasons why I think Cody needs stronger staff. I also wonder where's he's going in persisting in using Blanchfield who isn't up to it to be honest.

seafoid

Clough is a good example. It is very hard to rebuild when a great team fades. Cody doesn't have a Shefflin 2.0. Cloughie couldnt win the European Cup again after the second one. The achiement with the first Forest team was timeless.  But he couldn't repeat it.

johnneycool

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 10, 2017, 11:14:15 PM

It's pathetic.

They had a good league last year up until the semi, they won Leinster and got to the All Ireland. That's not the mark of a bad team. In my opinion, Cody's problem at the moment is he hasn't got anyone strong working with him. I get the feeling Cody is a little similar to Brian Clough. Cloughie always needed Peter Taylor with him to be able to work to the maximum of his ability. The staff Cody has now are all nice men but whether they have the strength to tell Brian when he's wrong is debatable. Martin Fogarty was far more key to Kilkenny than people realised and Cody needs either him back, doubtful given Fogarty's job now, or someone in his mould.

One of the reasons why I think Cody needs stronger staff. I also wonder where's he's going in persisting in using Blanchfield who isn't up to it to be honest.

What's the feelings on Noreside on Walter Walsh? I think he's a limited enough hurler, but gets a bye ball because of his size. He's been on the margins of any of the big games recently when KK needed leaders and he hasn't stood up.

Kilkevan

Quote from: johnneycool on July 11, 2017, 08:51:51 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 10, 2017, 11:14:15 PM

It's pathetic.

What's the feelings on Noreside on Walter Walsh? I think he's a limited enough hurler, but gets a bye ball because of his size. He's been on the margins of any of the big games recently when KK needed leaders and he hasn't stood up.

He's done reasonably well up until this year and people generally like him. People have noticed he's not performed this year though.

north_antrim_hound

Kilkenny will be back for sure

I think a valid point for the end of the dominance that hasn't been discussed is the improvement of other teams that can compete with and beat them now
teams are getting better at working with the game Kilkenny impose  when they don't have possession

They are as fit if not fitter and are training at breaking the tackles and the "death by suffocation" Kilkenny resort to when they don't have the ball
Wexford this year are big men and when KK tried to shut them down they couldn't
Tipp have probably better stick men since 2008 but only could compete when they matched them physically
Case in point look at bonner's influence on Tipp compared to noel Mc grath. Don't think there is any argument who the better stickman is but bonner is a freight train
Like all great teams they have transformed the game and other teams have got better at hurling and decision making under pressure 
There is a lot of talk about there there number 3 and 4 positions
I don't think noel hickey would suit the modern game and the way teams are setting up
And how do you replace T walsh and Delaney

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 11, 2017, 10:57:18 AM
Kilkenny will be back for sure

I think a valid point for the end of the dominance that hasn't been discussed is the improvement of other teams that can compete with and beat them now
teams are getting better at working with the game Kilkenny impose  when they don't have possession

They are as fit if not fitter and are training at breaking the tackles and the "death by suffocation" Kilkenny resort to when they don't have the ball
Wexford this year are big men and when KK tried to shut them down they couldn't
Tipp have probably better stick men since 2008 but only could compete when they matched them physically
Case in point look at bonner's influence on Tipp compared to noel Mc grath. Don't think there is any argument who the better stickman is but bonner is a freight train
Like all great teams they have transformed the game and other teams have got better at hurling and decision making under pressure 
There is a lot of talk about there there number 3 and 4 positions
I don't think noel hickey would suit the modern game and the way teams are setting up
And how do you replace T walsh and Delaney
Great teams have a psychological edge and win matches they shouldn't  . KK will have to get used to life without that.
Maybe Cody should have tried to do something after 2013. Yes, they did win another 2 but the cupboard might be bare for a good while over the next few years.