Mayo Millionaire backer withholds Money

Started by TheGreatest, September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 17, 2019, 08:29:51 PM
Hold up. You state that you can't do the basics because the money is tied up in the senior team, and if they struggle, you have less money, so proportionally more has to go into the senior team.

Thats the business model of a league of Ireland club that went bust in the 60's after two seasons.

What do you mean by can't do the basics? Mayo have 4 full time coaches and that's all that can be afforded with the current GD funding being received. Brolly is proposing to spend ~€280k per year on 8 coaches with no guarantee where the money comes from.

The senior team largely pays for itself. Go far in the championship and more commercial/fundraising money comes in, get knocked out early and less money is spent.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: MayoBuck on December 17, 2019, 09:13:02 PM
Hold up. You state that you can't do the basics because the money is tied up in the senior team, and if they struggle, you have less money, so proportionally more has to go into the senior team.

Thats the business model of a league of Ireland club that went bust in the 60's after two seasons.

What do you mean by can't do the basics? Mayo have 4 full time coaches and that's all that can be afforded with the current GD funding being received. Brolly is proposing to spend ~€280k per year on 8 coaches with no guarantee where the money comes from.

The senior team largely pays for itself. Go far in the championship and more commercial/fundraising money comes in, get knocked out early and less money is spent.

Sigh. I'll type it slowly.

You cant afford coaches to go out and spread the games, but you can afford to spend what is by a distance the most that is spent  on an individual team. And this spending is conditional  on the the income generated by team going a certain distance. If they don't you cant pay the bills. That is by definition unsustainable.

larryin89

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 18, 2019, 11:12:27 AM

You cant afford coaches to go out and spread the games, but you can afford to spend what is by a distance the most that is spent  on an individual team. And this spending is conditional  on the the income generated by team going a certain distance. If they don't you cant pay the bills. That is by definition unsustainable.

The most Spent by a considerable distance, I'm not sure if that's accurate but there needs to be context added to such a statement. Two years ago there was twenty panel members living in Dublin , I assume that figure hasn't changed much , do you realize how much more expense that adds to the yearly bill compared to the polar opposite of say Dublin who would very few if any based outside the county . There is much more to consider , logistics are a fuc ing nightmare.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 17, 2019, 08:24:12 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 17, 2019, 03:13:44 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on December 16, 2019, 08:31:40 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 16, 2019, 04:42:02 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on December 16, 2019, 02:49:34 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-vertical-blinds-funsize-bananas-and-mass-incompetence-county-boards-are-even-worse-than-we-thought-38785311.html

:o
"The focus was and remains participation and coaching. Dublin spent €1.2m on coaching this year. In that same period, it cost €1m to run the Mayo senior team. Dublin have 52 full-time coaches in schools and small clubs. Their salaries are around €30,000, with the clubs making a contribution towards the cost.
Mayo have four full-time coaches, and two working 19 hours a week. Eight extra coaches in Mayo would cost them around €250,000 and would — pro rata — give them more coaches than the Dubs. Instead, like most counties, the money is disappearing down the black hole of the senior county team, including vertical blinds and fun-size bananas and God only knows what else. No wonder there is civil war in Mayo between the county board and the clubs."

I too read his article and while I have no reason to back the Mayo county board, I think he is being economical with the truth here. He should be able to express his POV without distorting the facts.
By far the greatest items of expenditure are the costs of travelling and accommodation. This season Mayo played nine championship matches and had to travel to New York for the opening game.
With 10 0f the panel residing in Dublin, they travel costs have to be factored in  also. Dublin play most of their games in Croker and have all their players living in the county so Brolly wasn't comparing like with like here and he knew it.
To call  him a devious bullocks would be the understatement of the year.

Brolly also neglects to mention the huge difference in games development funding given to Dublin and Mayo. That's what is used to pay the full time coaches and Mayo clubs are unable to contribute to salaries as they are repaying the MacHale Park loan.

Also, the idea that we can just spend less on the senior team and use the money elsewhere is wrong. Most of the revenue only exists by the senior team going deep into the championship.
So your model is unsustainable.
I'm using a bit of bog logic here but I think Dublin has  about four times as many registered players as Mayo have. That's going by one of the infographs posted on another thread sometime  ago. (39,000+ vs !0,000+ )
Dublin has 52 full time coaches whereas Mayo have four. So you don't have to be a nuclear physicist to cop that Dublin has only four times as many players but thirteen times as many coaches. Mayo coaches have logistical issues their Dub counterparts wouldn't understand. THe Mayo heads might clock up 20 times as many miles in a working week.
Now, I am not begrudging anything to the Dubs. Everyone else who look for the same if they could get it but the Mayo CB isn't totally clueless and in most cases are doing an okay job. My grief here is with Brolly. If you want to criticise the Mayo CB, and most Mayo fans do, you should at least get your facts straight.
When comparing GDO/coaching you need to be comparing numbers of primary school children. Number of adult members is completely irrelevant to the work the GDOs do!!
Not disagreeing with your overall point, but if you use irrelevant facts to back up a point, you're venturing into Brolly territory!

MayoBuck

We seem to be in agreement on most of this. You can't hire numerous full time staff with no guaranteed source of revenue to pay them. The reasons we spend more on our senior team are done to death at this stage - mileage expenses to players, transport & hotel stays for games on the other side of the country, championship games in New York/London etc.

If we're honest, there are lots of counties that are unsustainable. Tipperary had a 370k deficit this year, Galway 260k and God knows about Cork. Mayo are in a better place than those 3 based on 2019.

Anyway, the original point I was making is that Brolly's article is rubbish.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: larryin89 on December 18, 2019, 11:40:15 AM

The most Spent by a considerable distance, I'm not sure if that's accurate but there needs to be context added to such a statement. Two years ago there was twenty panel members living in Dublin , I assume that figure hasn't changed much , do you realize how much more expense that adds to the yearly bill compared to the polar opposite of say Dublin who would very few if any based outside the county . There is much more to consider , logistics are a fuc ing nightmare.
Every county has players based in Dublin. Thats not it.

Tubberman

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 18, 2019, 01:25:15 PM

It's not what? Travelling expenses amounted to €927,444 in 2019.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tubberman on December 18, 2019, 02:09:00 PM

Jesus wept. Thats because you had to go to NY.

But even with that, does that number not strike you as high? €20k a player?

Tubberman

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 18, 2019, 02:43:34 PM

Do you have a point?

heffo

Does that include the training camp in NY post game in Gaelic park?

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on December 18, 2019, 02:45:54 PM

Does that include the training camp in NY post game in Gaelic park?

As far as I know, yes.
That figure includes U20s, minors & seniors including hurling too.
Figure for senior footballers was 696,890.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tubberman on December 18, 2019, 02:45:45 PM

Do you have a point?

You are spunking money on a mediocre team like no other county and complaining you don't have money for the basics

larryin89

"Mediocre team " ffs what's the point when you obviously have an axe to grind .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Tubberman

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 18, 2019, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 18, 2019, 02:45:45 PM

Do you have a point?

You are spunking money on a mediocre team like no other county and complaining you don't have money for the basics

Do you have the breakdown for all counties there handy?

rosnarun

Quote from: larryin89 on December 18, 2019, 03:04:23 PM
“Mediocre team “ ffs what’s the point when you obviously have an axe to grind .
the axe of course being that even though dyblin have won 5 in a row the most Dublin teams will ever achieve is Respect ,
they are unlovable  , with the exception of Jack mcCaffery , boring bunch of clones made in their makers image with a massive inbuilt advantages in terms of money and population  that have done nothing to promote Gaelic football  and and no matter how much they win that is how they will be remembered
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere