twohands!!!

London
Fermanagh
Antrim
Laois
Offaly
Carlow
New York

Teams who will be in the Tailteann Cup if they don't get to a provincial final -
Down, Westmeath, Longford, Wicklow, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Wexford, Tipperary, Waterford.

Round 1/Round of 16 is scheduled for the weekend of the 28th/29th May but if all 17 teams end up in it there will be a preliminary game the week before.
Round 2/Quarter-finals are scheduled for the weekend of the 4th/5th June.
Round 3/Semi-finals are scheduled for the weekend of the 18th/19th June.
Round 4/Final is scheduled for the 9th July.

It's straight knock-our this year for one year only.

Also New York get a bye to the quarter-final stage

full moon

Early days yet but I'd say this will be very difficult to call as some counties wont take it seriously and many may lose players to America or full stop off the panel by the time it gets going.

A lot will depend how they exit the championship. Of the teams already in it I'd say Fermanagh would be best placed of those to get to later stages. I don't know with Offaly and Laois, that is 2 very poor results for them today. And Antrim yesterday were all at sea and seem to have already lost starting players.

twohands!!!

Quote from: full moon on April 24, 2022, 08:01:50 PM
Early days yet but I'd say this will be very difficult to call as some counties wont take it seriously and many may lose players to America or full stop off the panel by the time it gets going.

A lot will depend how they exit the championship. Of the teams already in it I'd say Fermanagh would be best placed of those to get to later stages. I don't know with Offaly and Laois, that is 2 very poor results for them today. And Antrim yesterday were all at sea and seem to have already lost starting players.

If a player lines out in the championship they can't get a transfer to the US until their team finishes up for the year.

I've only heard of two players who played league but quit pre-championship to go to the states.

There may be a few more but I don't think there's going to be any mass exodus of players heading to the US iso I don't think that's going to be that big of an issue.

I'd agree that a lot will depend on what way squads get buy-in to it this year.

From next season with the minimum of three group stages games and the possibility of more, it's very hard to see teams not taking it seriously.

It's a bit of a pity that the first year/launch year doesn't have the group stages.

Gael80

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 24, 2022, 08:14:34 PM

If a player lines out in the championship they can't get a transfer to the US until their team finishes up for the year.

I've only heard of two players who played league but quit pre-championship to go to the states.

There may be a few more but I don't think there's going to be any mass exodus of players heading to the US iso I don't think that's going to be that big of an issue.

From next season with the minimum of three group stages games and the possibility of more, it's very hard to see teams not taking it seriously.

It's a bit of a pity that the first year/launch year doesn't have the group stages.

I'd agree it'll depend how much players buy into it. Players don't have to play football initially to head off travelling, I think for students, a summer travelling might be very tempting, with an opportunity to play football in a few weeks.

I hope it doesn't happen but if one county declare they don't have enough players to fulfill a fixture, then it might be beaten before it starts. As it's currently set up there is no difference to the Tommy Murphy Cup, but that might change. All stars and an All Ireland Final day game would make a significant difference, as will hopefully the prize of promotion to group stage Senior championship games next season.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Gael80 on April 24, 2022, 08:39:26 PM

I'd agree it'll depend how much players buy into it. Players don't have to play football initially to head off travelling, I think for students, a summer travelling might be very tempting, with an opportunity to play football in a few weeks.

I hope it doesn't happen but if one county declare they don't have enough players to fulfill a fixture, then it might be beaten before it starts. As it's currently set up there is no difference to the Tommy Murphy Cup, but that might change. All stars and an All Ireland Final day game would make a significant difference, as will hopefully the prize of promotion to group stage Senior championship games next season.

If a county fails to fulfill a fixture in this year's Tailteann Cup, they would be suspended for the 1st round of the championship next year, so I think the chance of any county not fielding a team is minimal.

Gael80

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 24, 2022, 08:53:12 PM

If a county fails to fulfill a fixture in this year's Tailteann Cup, they would be suspended for the 1st round of the championship next year, so I think the chance of any county not fielding a team is minimal.

Hopefully it doesn't happen and no county consider it, or need to  not fulfill a fixture, but if they genuinely don't have player buy in, and there are some historically strong counties in it, then it could get very awkward for the GAA.

Banning them from the championship next season whilst on paper protects against it, I'm not sure the GAA would be able to carry it through, and keep this competition going amongst players. It's another debate but I've thought potentially 16 counties is too many to start the competition with which could cause issues.

I do hope it works though, as the competition could be a good addition to the calender.

rodney trotter

No reason why Counties wouldn't fulfill. It's still April . what's the point of giving up now until next Janurary. Win a few games and get some confidence for the following year.

In the Tommy Murphy Cup, teams were waiting around a long time to play the games. This is swift and over by July.

thewobbler

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 24, 2022, 09:04:27 PM
No reason why Counties wouldn't fulfill. It's still April . what's the point of giving up now until next Janurary. Win a few games and get some confidence for the following year.

In the Tommy Murphy Cup, teams were waiting around a long time to play the games. This is swift and over by July.

Honestly it's because senior intercounty footballers have always had a "second tier" competition to return to and it's one that the vast majority of them care passionately about - playing club football. I'm not sure how other counties are going to play it but afaik Down will withhold county panellists from their clubs until their Tailteann campaign is over. That, to me - asking players to commit to a competition they're not sure about, over one they are sure about - is a recipe for disaster.

Gael80

Quote from: thewobbler on April 24, 2022, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 24, 2022, 09:04:27 PM

Honestly it's because senior intercounty footballers have always had a "second tier" competition to return to and it's one that the vast majority of them care passionately about - playing club football. I'm not sure how other counties are going to play it but afaik Down will withhold county panellists from their clubs until their Tailteann campaign is over. That, to me - asking players to commit to a competition they're not sure about, over one they are sure about - is a recipe for disaster.

It's a very good point - if a club with one or two county players are struggling and at risk of relegation from the start they've made in the club leagues, what takes the priority, getting back to help the club or playing this second tier inter county competition! County boards stopping them returning to the club would be a big call to make. The players will ultimately decide if this competition works, so it's therefore important to make it as attractive as possible.

FermGael

As far as I know that's incorrect.
That rule only applies to the qualifiers, not the Tailtean cup.
Wee loop hole apparently
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ardtole

Apparently 2 Down lads have pulled out of the squad, before we play Monaghan, to play in the states for the summer. Both lads played in every league game, not sure what impact it has on them lads playing sfc for their clubs later in the year.

Wildweasel74

Same in Derry too in recent weeks , just before the Tyrone ganr

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Gael80 on April 24, 2022, 09:01:57 PM

Hopefully it doesn't happen and no county consider it, or need to  not fulfill a fixture, but if they genuinely don't have player buy in, and there are some historically strong counties in it, then it could get very awkward for the GAA.

Banning them from the championship next season whilst on paper protects against it, I'm not sure the GAA would be able to carry it through, and keep this competition going amongst players. It's another debate but I've thought potentially 16 counties is too many to start the competition with which could cause issues.

I do hope it works though, as the competition could be a good addition to the calender.

No county won't field. But they might send the squad off on holidays, field kids and when hammered declares the whole thing shite. If enough counties do that...

Milltown Row2

Does New York not have a loop hole regardless?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dreadnought

No county will do that. But sending out a B squad with most of your regulars away is a different story