FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

He represents the "woke"  ;D.

He's a gay comedian who wasn't too happy about Beckham being a gay icon and taking 10 million from Qatar or taking 10 million to go to Qatar or something like that and then said he'd burn loads of money if he went.

Bit of an eejit but media seem to now have dug out he did a gig there in 2015 or something.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 22, 2022, 12:38:58 PM

He's a gay comedian who wasn't too happy about Beckham being a gay icon and taking 10 million from Qatar or taking 10 million to go to Qatar or something like that and then said he'd burn loads of money if he went.

Bit of an eejit but media seem to now have dug out he did a gig there in 2015 or something.

Right, so its backfired for him slightly? Didn't realise David was a gay icon either.. Every day is a school day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

a total arsehole

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2022, 12:45:20 PM

Right, so its backfired for him slightly? Didn't realise David was a gay icon either.. Every day is a school day

Didn't realise Beckham was a gay icon either.

I don't use the term "woke" seriously. That has mushroomed into a term that groups a lot of views together and is a nonsense.

Yeah he's a bit of an arsehole.

Mourne Red

I can't stand him but tbf there's a bit of a difference in being paid by government officials to represent and advertise the country and ex-pats buying tickets to see you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 22, 2022, 01:09:46 PM

I can't stand him but tbf there's a bit of a difference in being paid by government officials to represent and advertise the country and ex-pats buying tickets to see you

Aye seems like about 10 million of a difference...

There would need to be a long list of people who have been paid or getting paid by these countries, especially in football terms, how many clubs are involved or owned by countries like Qatar ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2022, 01:12:44 PM

There would need to be a long list of people who have been paid or getting paid by these countries, especially in football terms, how many clubs are involved or owned by countries like Qatar ?
10? Was Beckham not getting £150 million? PSG, Newcastle, City all with shady Middle Eastern owners.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 22, 2022, 01:15:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2022, 01:12:44 PM

10? Was Beckham not getting £150 million? PSG, Newcastle, City all with shady Middle Eastern owners.

£150 million? Wow, how much is Messi getting for the middle east travel advertisements?

Milltown Row2

So we are less accountable for things we do when we are younger so allowed to berate people for doing the same thing when they are older?

Strange logic, unless he's changed his views on gay rights in that country

Qatar still held those views 10 years ago, if he was going there to do a protest gig then spot on, and how young was he? 23, 24? at what age do you grow up?

tonto1888

Quote from: trailer on December 21, 2022, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on December 21, 2022, 04:04:48 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 21, 2022, 09:44:27 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 20, 2022, 06:32:31 PM
MacAllister just signed a new deal with Brighton before he went to the WC. Clever business by them. You'd think they'll get bids for him and Caicedo in January and could easily make close to £100m.

Martinez is an asshole. Think he was disrespectful to Mbappe too in the changing rooms. A good keeper who had the tournament of a lifetime. Villa could cash in on him and get great money too from a European team,  though he's dodgy with his feet.

As for players off the back of a tournament my heart still breaks over El Hadj Dioff

An absolute w**ker. Mbappe put 4 past him ffs. The guy has no self awareness. That's why he's at Villa. Arteta couldn't stand him.

Mbappé lost

France lost.

I didn't realise he wasn't part of the French squad. Either way he lost

smort

Either way, Martinez is a c*nt

nrico2006

Lycett has been made to look like a tube but has succeeded in raising his profile which is what he has been after with the Beckham bashing. Complete unknown until all this.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 22, 2022, 02:07:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2022, 01:33:24 PM
So we are less accountable for things we do when we are younger so allowed to berate people for doing the same thing when they are older?

Strange logic, unless he's changed his views on gay rights in that country

Qatar still held those views 10 years ago, if he was going there to do a protest gig then spot on, and how young was he? 23, 24? at what age do you grow up?

Nothing strange about it at all. Have you never done anything when you were younger that you now look back on and cringe or at the very least say "I wouldn't do that now"? Because if you haven't, you can join Todd Flanders in casting stones at will. And that can pretty much go with any age as people mature/learn/experience more things. I know that there's things from even just over a handful of years ago that I regret doing that in hindsight I'd either not do or do differently.

Only Mr Lycett can answer your question on wherever he was aware of Qatari's sexuality laws at the time, but as someone whom wouldn't have been much in the UK comedy spotlight at the time, he might have felt that such a gig (without knowing the full details I'm guessing was part of an "ex-pat" tour involving several countries, most stand up comedians you see on the telly these days will have done something like them and often still do) wasn't one he could turn down without jeopardising all other dates with his agency.

As it is, the only reason this has became any sort of news is because Joe Lycett has had gall to point out holes & mock thin-skinned ministers of the current & recent Westminster governments on various issues both on his own platforms and on a few TV programmes. If the best dirt a few client journalists can do on him is "EXCLUSIVE!! JOE LYCETT DID A GIG IN QATAR IN 2015!! OMG!!! **Turn to Page 3 where Debbie from Essex gives her opinion on Lycett the hypocrite**" Then they really haven't shit to go on.

I'm not doing the "he without sin" shite, I can't speak for him and neither can you. Only he knows if Qatar had human right issues 10 years ago, or their view on gay rights, but being a Muslim country you'd have to be aged around 12 or 13 not to know their views on being gay, and if it was 10 years ago, he was 24, not a child or just out of nappies

As for me, well I'm not on tv radio or throwing stones at someone, you are doing a lot of guess work on his behalf

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 22, 2022, 01:25:12 PM
He represents the "woke"  ;D .

Lycett isn't much of my cup of tea either (though his story of how he got out of a fixed parking fine as told on 8OO10C does Countdown was very good), but given that his Qatari gig was seven years ago, he's not tried to hide that he did it not to mention that he was a younger comedian starting out and "needing the money" means that it gives him plenty of plausibility to say that he wouldn't do it now. People's opinions/views can change over time. We've all done things when we were younger as teens or young adults that we wouldn't do today with hindsight/knowledge/maturity we now have, that's why I don't generally hold things against people who did stuff they did when they were younger that were idiotic/naive but wouldn't now. Especially when the self-proclaimed holder of morality & hypocrisy pointing is the f**king S*n newspaper. It's not the smoking gun it tries to play it as. Had he done a gig out there either earlier this year or last year, then his wriggle room would have been a lot, lot less.

He doesn't represent what they like so they were out to get him. Too "woke" for their liking.

That said he still is a bit of an arsehole but independent of this  ;D

RedHand88

I cant see his comedy being a big hit in Qatar. That's the bit that hasn't been mentioned in all this.