Premier League 2021-22

Started by Boycey, July 12, 2021, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 22, 2022, 11:59:31 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 22, 2022, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 22, 2022, 06:49:42 PM
Best side won the league title but they sure made hard work of it last week v West Ham and again today v Villa. Could see in both games as to why they continue to slip up in the Champions league.

30 seasons of the Premier league done and dusted now. Would be unthinkable that City would win that many league titles 15 years ago. Poor return for Liverpool with their history and tradition to be tied with Blackburn, Leicester.

Man United 13
Man City 6
Chelsea 5
Arsenal 3
Blackburn 1
Leicester 1
Liverpool 1

No harm to see Burnley relegated after sacking Sean Dyche who made them into the competitive Premier league side that few liked to play.  Conte leads Spurs to 4th but it's worth noting he has a very poor Champions league record as manager so i won't be surprised if they drop to the Europa league along with Arsenal and United.

Blackburn do not have a Premier League, they have a FA Carling Premiership. Pretty sure you can take off a few of those United ones whilst you're at it. They have a mixture of FA Premier Leagues and Carling Premierships, but no Premier Leagues as it is in its current format.
there we have it, post of the day.....🙄

What's the difference between my post and the "Liverpool only have one Premier League title and United have 13?"

Even the trophy has changed a few times in the last 30years!!

Different name = Different league, no?

thewobbler

The wind up has been revealed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on May 23, 2022, 11:37:46 AM
The wind up has been revealed.

Klopp will win a few more with his time at Liverpool well extended, he has a knack now of getting through these finals even if it takes to win on penalties they have it in their locker that even if they can't win in normal time that the players will not miss when it comes to penalties.

I'm out next Saturday so will miss it, hopefully its as entertaining as the last day games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

This is the thing - he is fantastic and that is a fantastic team but I am not sure that he will win that many premier leagues - he will win more cups and champions leagues I would suspect. The consistency you need to beat Man City in the league is ridiculous.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2022, 12:17:01 PM
This is the thing - he is fantastic and that is a fantastic team but I am not sure that he will win that many premier leagues - he will win more cups and champions leagues I would suspect. The consistency you need to beat Man City in the league is ridiculous.

Pep will move on just before Newcastle become like PSG
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

You do realise that in the 5 years City have won 4 LFC 1. LFC have been 2nd twice in those 4 wins,  by 1 point. Last year the squad was decimated by injuries and in the first of the 4 City were untouchable. LFC are consistent, so are City. There is literally a sliver between the 2 teams which a few injuries either way can make a huge difference on. I genuinely don't know how much more consistent they can be.

The hope yesterday for this 20 odd minutes was excruciating but in real terms the season ended the way it was expected to end. Points dropped at West Ham and recently against Spurs were the killer in my opinion. Still any season where a team wins 2 trophies and possibly a third is a huge success. I'd say if the CL is won then it's been the greatest season in the Clubs history which is saying something. One things for sure Pep would gladly swap yesterdays results around if he won a CL with City. That's his holy Grail

imtommygunn

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 23, 2022, 12:53:33 PM

You do realise that in the 5 years City have won 4 LFC 1. LFC have been 2nd twice in those 4 wins,  by 1 point. Last year the squad was decimated by injuries and in the first of the 4 City were untouchable. LFC are consistent, so are City. There is literally a sliver between the 2 teams which a few injuries either way can make a huge difference on. I genuinely don't know how much more consistent they can be.

The hope yesterday for this 20 odd minutes was excruciating but in real terms the season ended the way it was expected to end. Points dropped at West Ham and recently against Spurs were the killer in my opinion. Still any season where a team wins 2 trophies and possibly a third is a huge success. I'd say if the CL is won then it's been the greatest season in the Clubs history which is saying something. One things for sure Pep would gladly swap yesterdays results around if he won a CL with City. That's his holy Grail

I do realise that and that is basically my point but Liverpool at their best bar one year still couldn't conquer them. I'm not slating Liverpool - genuinely. Klopp and this team are fantastic and I think it is going to be unfortunate that when history looks back it will be at a great liverpool team but a great liverpool team that hasn't capitalised with league titles. I don't like Man City at all really as for me they are a bit manufactured and have just bought titles.

Armamike

Liverpool will win the PL again with Klopp there.  City would gladly swap a league for Champions League.  If we're talking about legacies, there's a strong argument that City won't be considered truly great until they win a Champions League.  Other great sides have won numerous leagues and European Cups simultaneously.
That's just, like your opinion man.

trueblue1234

I don't buy that if I'm honest. That city team is unreal. As is the Liverpool team. Both could be mentioned in the great premierships/ premier league / League 1 teams. The football for both have been a joy to watch. And the difference between them and the closest rivals is huge. I do hop Liverpool add a CL/ PL to the collection before the inevitable decline. We just don't have the finances to compete at that level long term. It just takes a couple of high profile flops in the transfer market and we could be back in the pack. That's the difference with City and Liverpool.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

cornerback

Quote from: Armamike on May 23, 2022, 01:31:27 PM
Liverpool will win the PL again with Klopp there.  City would gladly swap a league for Champions League.  If we're talking about legacies, there's a strong argument that City won't be considered truly great until they win a Champions League.  Other great sides have won numerous leagues and European Cups simultaneously.

Were Man Utd not a great side from 92-98??

Mourne Red

Quote from: Armamike on May 23, 2022, 01:31:27 PM

The same could be argument could be thrown at Liverpool.. For this current  legacy they only have 1 league title

Taylor

The biggest difference is the squad.

Klopp built a super team - not a super squad.

You can see he has made improvements with regards to the squad but City built a squad and in a PL season you rely on a bigger group of players.

It was almost a guessing game some weeks who would start for City - with everyone fit you could name 9/10 starters for Liverpool every week

Liverpool are a great cup team

thewobbler

Quote from: Taylor on May 23, 2022, 02:30:16 PM
The biggest difference is the squad.

Klopp built a super team - not a super squad.

You can see he has made improvements with regards to the squad but City built a squad and in a PL season you rely on a bigger group of players.

It was almost a guessing game some weeks who would start for City - with everyone fit you could name 9/10 starters for Liverpool every week

Liverpool are a great cup team

Without yet taking time to descend a rabbit hole of stats, I do believe that this season City and Scouse weren't far off equal in terms of squad rotation during the EPL.

yellowcard

Yet more English PL hype which we are fed through the media we consume. They are both very good sides of their own era, City being the more consistent over a longer period. But they are both also greater than the sum of their parts and are heavily dependent on 2 of the greatest managers of the last generation. The minute either Pep or Klopp leaves (Klopp especially since Liverpool can't match the finances of City) both clubs will drop back again. City will be like Dublin though where their vast resources ensure that they are still competing for titles in the aftermath.

Certainly in European terms, neither side would be seen as among the greatest of this generation like the Real Madrids or Barcelonas of the last 15 years. Both of those sides were laced with superstar generational talents whereas City and Liverpool have very few truly world class players.       

Next season it is hard to look beyond City and Liverpool again though. On paper the signing of Haaland probably makes City favourites but you don't know how that will work out either. Football is fickle and things can change quickly. Give it another 2 or 3 years and Newcastle will be challenging for titles whilst Man United are only a decent manager away from turning it around given the size of the club. Chelsea I am not so sure about, I think they may drop off a bit next season as they are losing a few key defenders.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on May 23, 2022, 02:43:41 PM
Yet more English PL hype which we are fed through the media we consume. They are both very good sides of their own era, City being the more consistent over a longer period. But they are both also greater than the sum of their parts and are heavily dependent on 2 of the greatest managers of the last generation. The minute either Pep or Klopp leaves (Klopp especially since Liverpool can't match the finances of City) both clubs will drop back again. City will be like Dublin though where their vast resources ensure that they are still competing for titles in the aftermath.

Certainly in European terms, neither side would be seen as among the greatest of this generation like the Real Madrids or Barcelonas of the last 15 years. Both of those sides were laced with superstar generational talents whereas City and Liverpool have very few truly world class players.       

Next season it is hard to look beyond City and Liverpool again though. On paper the signing of Haaland probably makes City favourites but you don't know how that will work out either. Football is fickle and things can change quickly. Give it another 2 or 3 years and Newcastle will be challenging for titles whilst Man United are only a decent manager away from turning it around given the size of the club. Chelsea I am not so sure about, I think they may drop off a bit next season as they are losing a few key defenders.   Investors

fixed that...