Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 1216877 times)

Man Marker

• View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #18915 on: January 14, 2022, 09:40:23 AM »
As someone not massively into this, I seen a video of the the CEO of Pfizer saying the first two vaccines weren't effective against omicron but the booster would be (thats in my own words) Is it genuine?

Armagh18

• View Profile
« Reply #18916 on: January 14, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
As someone not massively into this, I seen a video of the the CEO of Pfizer saying the first two vaccines weren't effective against omicron but the booster would be (thats in my own words) Is it genuine?
Yeah and next month itíll be the omega variant you need 4 jabs fromÖ

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: January 14, 2022, 09:47:59 AM »
Yeah because the omicron variant has subsequently been proved to be made up and not spike cases at all eh  :o

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18918 on: January 14, 2022, 10:03:27 AM »

If it's the Omega variant they'll be at the last letter so there'll be no more. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #18919 on: January 14, 2022, 10:15:11 AM »

Do you think it's made up?

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: January 14, 2022, 12:32:00 PM »
Omnicron was unknown a month ago but now with ICU numbers falling in many countries it's much less of a worry.
The problem is that Covid is well established in poorer countries where public health is weak and will be back again with more iterations.

Nah - very unlikely.

At this point, it'd essentially be a new virus if it were to cause a significant disruption to the current trajectory.

Omicron will over the next month or two give almost everyone immunity - including the anti-vax hold outs.
That immunity will be close enough to be effective* against any other SARS-CoV-2 variant.
Furthermore, since it seems to come back on people fairly quickly - like a cold - the constant reserve of it in the community will by and by large keep immune systems fresh with it.

Get the NHS out of the woods (by flattening peak), then get rid of all local restrictions. At that point, they'll do more harm than good - we want to keep Omicron circulating in some shape/form when everyone has a good immune response to it. Probably prudent to keep an eye on international gateways, but not likely to be an issue.

*effective in this case = bringing down rates of serious illness/fatalities to those of similar infections.
i usse an speelchekor

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #18921 on: January 14, 2022, 12:41:38 PM »

Do you think it's made up?

He's wondering why Omicron was even allowed into the country... Borders should have been shut down to those pesky Johnny Foreigner viruses

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: January 14, 2022, 12:51:19 PM »
Omnicron was unknown a month ago but now with ICU numbers falling in many countries it's much less of a worry.
The problem is that Covid is well established in poorer countries where public health is weak and will be back again with more iterations.

Nah - very unlikely.

At this point, it'd essentially be a new virus if it were to cause a significant disruption to the current trajectory.

Omicron will over the next month or two give almost everyone immunity - including the anti-vax hold outs.
That immunity will be close enough to be effective* against any other SARS-CoV-2 variant.
Furthermore, since it seems to come back on people fairly quickly - like a cold - the constant reserve of it in the community will by and by large keep immune systems fresh with it.

Get the NHS out of the woods (by flattening peak), then get rid of all local restrictions. At that point, they'll do more harm than good - we want to keep Omicron circulating in some shape/form when everyone has a good immune response to it. Probably prudent to keep an eye on international gateways, but not likely to be an issue.

*effective in this case = bringing down rates of serious illness/fatalities to those of similar infections.

Radio, I really hope you are a secret infectious disease expert and everything you have said here is true.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: January 14, 2022, 12:52:53 PM »

Nah - very unlikely.

Radio, I really hope you are a secret infectious disease expert and everything you have said here is true.

He's been a great read from the start has RadioGaaGaa, very measured and insightful

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #18924 on: January 14, 2022, 12:55:05 PM »
A friend of mine says the exact same as above as heís very well qualified to say it too so I would believe the above.

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18925 on: January 14, 2022, 01:35:48 PM »
A friend of mine says the exact same as above as heís very well qualified to say it too so I would believe the above.

If only Angelo could give us a view on it from his mate.... oh wait
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

grounded

• View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: January 14, 2022, 01:53:11 PM »

I'm not sure of the specific video, would it be in relation to the new Omnicron specific vaccine they are developing(due for release in March). 
  They are also considering blending this new vaccine with the original for an extra boost

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2022/01/10/pfizer-hybrid-covid-vaccine-omicron-variant-biontech-booster/amp/

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: January 14, 2022, 02:27:16 PM »

Nah - very unlikely.

Sounds brilliant and I hope it works out like that. I was reading something the other day though which makes me think it is unlikely. The problem is that Covid doesnít work in the same way as the flu. Each iteration of the flu evolves from the last one. With Covid itís not working out like that. Variants are emerging around the world but not necessarily as an iteration of the previous one eg omicron didnít evolve from delta. What that means is that the next variant to come along could be a lot more lethal than omicron and just as infectious or it could be even less dangerous. At this stage nobody knows and it will basically come down to luck.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: January 14, 2022, 02:37:44 PM »
I see Alphonso Davies from Bayern has had to take time off from playing as heís got myocarditis after getting Covid in December. This was probably only picked up because heís a footballer and getting regular checks. The anti vaccine brigade keep pushing this as a major side effect of the vaccine but they donít like getting it pointed out that itís at least 4 times more likely to happen if you get Covid.

Armagh18

• View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: January 14, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »

Nah - very unlikely.

That all makes sense, letís hope thats how it plays out.