China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 12, 2022, 11:05:22 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2022, 09:59:57 PM
Barring another sneaky variant, I think we'll be well on the way to normality by Easter.

The lockdown addicts won't be happy
The ISAG chaps and their devoted followers will lay ostrich eggs.

theskull1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 12, 2022, 09:43:59 PM
Didn't listen to it all but he sounds a very reasonable man , he is close to my own position. I am not an anti vaxxer at all btw just think it should be tailored more to high risk groups

I really can't understand why folk aren't willing to concede even to a small degree that this is a valid enough argument for an individual to make given what we now know.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

Omnicron was unknown a month ago but now with ICU numbers falling in many countries it's much less of a worry.
The problem is that Covid is well established in poorer countries where public health is weak and will be back again with more iterations.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Family in neighbourhood have Omicron. Last member (21) had yet to get virus. Father said they were isolating him from the rest of the family so he could get the booster.  ;D

Man Marker

As someone not massively into this, I seen a video of the the CEO of Pfizer saying the first two vaccines weren't effective against omicron but the booster would be (thats in my own words) Is it genuine?

Armagh18

Quote from: Man Marker on January 14, 2022, 09:40:23 AM
As someone not massively into this, I seen a video of the the CEO of Pfizer saying the first two vaccines weren't effective against omicron but the booster would be (thats in my own words) Is it genuine?
Yeah and next month it'll be the omega variant you need 4 jabs from...

imtommygunn

Yeah because the omicron variant has subsequently been proved to be made up and not spike cases at all eh  :o

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 14, 2022, 09:45:07 AM

If it's the Omega variant they'll be at the last letter so there'll be no more. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

Do you think it's made up?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2022, 07:04:45 AM
Omnicron was unknown a month ago but now with ICU numbers falling in many countries it's much less of a worry.
The problem is that Covid is well established in poorer countries where public health is weak and will be back again with more iterations.

Nah - very unlikely.

At this point, it'd essentially be a new virus if it were to cause a significant disruption to the current trajectory.

Omicron will over the next month or two give almost everyone immunity - including the anti-vax hold outs.
That immunity will be close enough to be effective* against any other SARS-CoV-2 variant.
Furthermore, since it seems to come back on people fairly quickly - like a cold - the constant reserve of it in the community will by and by large keep immune systems fresh with it.

Get the NHS out of the woods (by flattening peak), then get rid of all local restrictions. At that point, they'll do more harm than good - we want to keep Omicron circulating in some shape/form when everyone has a good immune response to it. Probably prudent to keep an eye on international gateways, but not likely to be an issue.

*effective in this case = bringing down rates of serious illness/fatalities to those of similar infections.
i usse an speelchekor

JoG2

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 14, 2022, 10:15:11 AM

Do you think it's made up?

He's wondering why Omicron was even allowed into the country... Borders should have been shut down to those pesky Johnny Foreigner viruses

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 14, 2022, 12:32:00 PM

Nah - very unlikely.

At this point, it'd essentially be a new virus if it were to cause a significant disruption to the current trajectory.

Omicron will over the next month or two give almost everyone immunity - including the anti-vax hold outs.
That immunity will be close enough to be effective* against any other SARS-CoV-2 variant.
Furthermore, since it seems to come back on people fairly quickly - like a cold - the constant reserve of it in the community will by and by large keep immune systems fresh with it.

Get the NHS out of the woods (by flattening peak), then get rid of all local restrictions. At that point, they'll do more harm than good - we want to keep Omicron circulating in some shape/form when everyone has a good immune response to it. Probably prudent to keep an eye on international gateways, but not likely to be an issue.

*effective in this case = bringing down rates of serious illness/fatalities to those of similar infections.

Radio, I really hope you are a secret infectious disease expert and everything you have said here is true.

JoG2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 14, 2022, 12:51:19 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 14, 2022, 12:32:00 PM

Nah - very unlikely.

Radio, I really hope you are a secret infectious disease expert and everything you have said here is true.

He's been a great read from the start has RadioGaaGaa, very measured and insightful

imtommygunn

A friend of mine says the exact same as above as he's very well qualified to say it too so I would believe the above.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2022, 12:55:05 PM
A friend of mine says the exact same as above as he's very well qualified to say it too so I would believe the above.

If only Angelo could give us a view on it from his mate.... oh wait
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea