Donegal v Down 2018

Started by J70, May 31, 2018, 02:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Surprised no thread up yet for this, or have all the Down men disappeared from the board? :)

Paddy Power has us 1/4 for this (Down 7/2!), but I'm not sure we should be such strong favourites as we are fairly untested so far. True, we still have a few big name players, but there is still a lot of youth in the team, while we have not exactly been tight at the back this year. Teams were cruising up the middle during the league, while Cavan and Derry scored 1-15 and 0-16 respectively against us, not exactly small scores. On the other hand, we are looking decent going forward, while Patton in goal seems to have finally presented us with a decent successor to Paul Durcan. Our kickouts were an utter disaster last year, but Patton has been very quick and accurate so far, as well as getting huge distance on the long ones. On the whole though, Donegal are very much unproven and we don't really know where we are at. IMO, an Ulster final and, hopefully, Super 8 spot would still represent an excellent first season for Bonner, although that depends on us avoiding the likes of Mayo and Tyrone whenever we eventually hit the qualifiers.

What's the mood like in Down? I saw a headline from Danny Hughes (couldn't read the article with the paywall) saying that this game is not the foregone conclusion that some in the media appear to think.

urbangael

I've watched Down all year. They are very average to say the least. Antrim were awful. Donegal will beat Down. Not sure by how much but they'll definitely beat them. Far more organised, better structure and better players in almost every position. I'd say 4/5  points win for Donegal

seafoid

Both teams were relegated. But someone has to win
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

elk

I also have watch Down this year and I would say below average. They don't have the best players in the county playing for various reasons and the only outcome I can see is a comfortable Donegal win. Heart says its the championship and we will rise to the occasion, head says no chance!

Aristo 60

I remember Down at 4/1 for the Ulster Final in 2012 and we all know what happened there. At 7/2 we've closed the gap!

What we'd give for a repeat of Ballybofey 2010!

Down need EVERYTHING to click for them.

Mourne Red

Donegal by 7 or 8.. Down's shooting has been appalling this year and has really let us down in matches this year, Donegal with McBrearty, Murphy and McHugh will be too much. Match up will probably be McHugh vs Millar and with McHugh driving on expect Millar to be pinned back most of the match.

Cunny Funt

Down bet Monaghan in the Ulster semi final last year so i suppose it would be less of surprise if Down beat a Donegal side in transition who aren't as good defensively as they use to be.

O moore parklife

Please take steve poacher back all is forgiven what a dose this lad is

thewobbler

Quote from: O moore parklife on May 31, 2018, 07:37:59 PM
Please take steve poacher back all is forgiven what a dose this lad is

#poacherout

seafoid

I think this will be more like a club final where the winning is having better weak players than the other side
For every McBrearty there are 3 young lads playing for Donegal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Targetman

Having followed Down for years I have to be honest and say that unfortunately we are miles off even thinking about competing for honours, the reasons being we aren't producing players that are capable of winning major honours plus some of the better players in the county don't seem interested in wearing the jersey, as for the Donegal game, we need Donegal to have an off day and Down to play out of their skins and you just never know!!

Itchy

I don't think Donegal are all they are made out to be. Porous and lack pace in centre of their defence. Cavan should've scored 3 goals against them. I think down will be closer than people think and who knows what could happen if they get the rub of the green.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Itchy on June 01, 2018, 09:06:17 AM
I don't think Donegal are all they are made out to be. Porous and lack pace in centre of their defence. Cavan should've scored 3 goals against them. I think down will be closer than people think and who knows what could happen if they get the rub of the green.

They've got plenty of talent and think the future is bright for Donegal but I can't make a case for them beating any of the top teams this year with the way they set up. I saw some stats from the game yesterday and looked like Derry kicked a lot of wides and shots that dropped short but still scored 16 points.

StephenC

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 01, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

They've got plenty of talent and think the future is bright for Donegal but I can't make a case for them beating any of the top teams this year with the way they set up. I saw some stats from the game yesterday and looked like Derry kicked a lot of wides and shots that dropped short but still scored 16 points.

I agree with both these posts, although it's important to note that within Donegal there is a very realistic view on where we are at.

It's the same old thing, journos are just looking at the results and not at the details of the game. We got a magnificent start against Derry and were able to keep them at arms length. Some of the Derry wides were terrible.

Cavan (and every team in the league) found that we are wide open through the middle; a fact that is unlikely to be remedied this year.

We will score a good bit but will concede a lot too. Against Monaghan, Tyrone etc, we'd be badly exposed. Against Down ... well I expect to win but it'd not be the shock of the century if they beat us.

J70

I haven't noticed anyone making us out to be anything other than a promising work in progress, a team yet to be tested in championship against a very good or excellent side.