Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

First test v South Africa is not until 20th June, but Boyle's have odds on Irishmen starting the first test. Some interesting ones. Where's the value? Who's overpriced?

O'Connell, Paul  4/9 
Wallace, David  4/7 
O'Driscoll, Brian  4/7 
Bowe, T.  11/8 
O'Gara, Ronan  7/4 
Flannery, Jerry  9/4 
O'Callaghan, Donncha  3/1 
Fitzgerald, Luke  4/1 
Kearney, Rob  9/2 
Horan, Marcus  6/1 
Best, Rory  6/1 
O'Leary, Tomas  6/1 
Heaslip, Jamie  15/2 
Ferris, Stephen  16/1 
Horgan, Shane  20/1 
Earls, Keith  20/1 
Hayes, John  25/1 
Murphy, Geordan  33/1 
Reddan, Eoin  50/1 

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Hound on February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM
First test v South Africa is not until 20th June, but Boyle's have odds on Irishmen starting the first test. Some interesting ones. Where's the value? Who's overpriced?

O'Connell, Paul  4/9 
Wallace, David  4/7 
O'Driscoll, Brian  4/7 
Bowe, T.  11/8 
O'Gara, Ronan  7/4 
Flannery, Jerry  9/4 
Fitzgerald, Luke  4/1 
Kearney, Rob  9/2 
Horan, Marcus  6/1 
Best, Rory  6/1 
O'Leary, Tomas  6/1 
Heaslip, Jamie  15/2 
Ferris, Stephen  16/1 
Horgan, Shane  20/1 
Earls, Keith  20/1 
Hayes, John  25/1 
Murphy, Geordan  33/1 
Reddan, Eoin  50/1 

I take it they are going singles only on this? Normally the case... If not could pick a few but I doubt they would allow it...

thebandit

Tommy Bowe is poor value. Rob Kearney and Jamie Heaslip are worth a punt.

Tim Buzaglo

I'd love to get a couple of accums on this if allowed!

POC, Wallace and drico are certs as the odds suggest.

Kearney and Heaslip should be 2/1 at most as they are breathing down the necks of their Welsh counterparts (Gay Byrne and Powell)

avoid T-Bowe, and our front row.

There's value with O'leary.  I'd still have him 3rd choice but Phillips and Peel (who i know wasn't even Wales 2nd choice) may out compete each other.  Blair could miss out and become the victim of being part of a very poor scotland side
Will we ever see another one?

muppet

Kearney Byrne is a 2 horse race and very close one at that.

I think the value might be Ferris though. 
MWWSI 2017

Tankie

Murphy, Geordan  33/1   is well worth a shot as they love him in Britain. I also think Jamie could be the No8 come June.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Our Nail Loney

Was on Boyles there and as I thought it is singles only....

Tommy Tight Lips

kearney heislip and ferris are definitely in there with a good chance in particular the first 2.kearney seems to have added an extra dimension to his game since the move to full back.is it too early to start posting our starting 15s ;D

Hound

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on February 12, 2009, 05:12:26 PM
POC, Wallace and drico are certs as the odds suggest.
Wallace's odds surprised me. I wouldnt have him as a cert. I'd have thought Martyn Williams for 7 and Ryan Jones a cert for either 6 or 8, leaving one spot between the likes of Wallace, Heaslip, Easter, Haskell, Taylor, Ferris, Powell etc. Wallace probably just about at the head of that queue but heavy odds on favourite?

corn02

Best is shorter odds than I thought, possibly make the squad?

Goats Do Shave

As said Tommy Bowe is too short, as is Jerry Flannery... he could lose his place in the Irish team!

O'Leary, Heaslip & Kearney will all be in barring some horrible Irish performances!

muppet

Picking a hooker for the Lions is tricky because of the mix of players. If you pick a unit that play together regularly fair enough. With the exception of Woody I think they usually end up going for an accurate thrower that is solid in the scrum.

Remember a Shane Byrne making the starting 15 for those reasons? Best could be in with a shout especially if there are lots of games before the 1st test.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

O'Connell, Paul  4/9
Wallace, David  4/7
O'Driscoll, Brian  4/7
O'Gara, Ronan  7/4
Flannery, Jerry  9/4
Fitzgerald, Luke  4/1
Kearney, Rob  9/2
Heaslip, Jamie  15/2
Ferris, Stephen  16/1
Earls, Keith  20/1

If anyone gets selected outside this group I'll be shocked, only BOD and POC will definitely start. Ferris would be my dark horse
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Reddan would be my dark horse, worth a couple of yoyos anyway. Played really well again for Ireland A on Saturday, and with O'Leary being slightly disappointing again, there's a chance he could get a starting role before the campaign is over. And if he does his 50/1 price will get slashed

fred the red

Jamie Heaslip would be my dark horse