Where does Mourinho Rate

Started by Square Ball, December 05, 2018, 09:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has been the best Man Utd manager of these?

Mourinho
9 (13.6%)
Van Gaal
4 (6.1%)
Moyes
14 (21.2%)
Atkinson
30 (45.5%)
Sexton
2 (3%)
Docherty
4 (6.1%)
O'Farrell
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: December 08, 2018, 09:57:12 AM

Square Ball

Right, so excluding Giggs, too short a period, and Fergie, who has been the better manager. we will see how it goes.

actually a pretty sad bunch IMHO.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

BennyCake

Big Ron.

Won 2 FA cups, and brought in some good players. Liverpool and Everton were the top 2 then so did well all things considering.

magpie seanie

Obviously a few lads taking the piss on here with votes for the last 3 managers. Between big Ron and the Doc for me. Went for Atkinson. He was a little unlucky in 1985/86 with Robbo's dislocated shoulder and Hughes being unsetlled by the transfer to Barcelona. That was a really good team.

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 05, 2018, 02:55:39 PM
Obviously a few lads taking the piss on here with votes for the last 3 managers. Between big Ron and the Doc for me. Went for Atkinson. He was a little unlucky in 1985/86 with Robbo's dislocated shoulder and Hughes being unsetlled by the transfer to Barcelona. That was a really good team.

They used to beat Liverpool regularly. Talented midfield and attack. And Paul McGrath.

I remember them coming close in the UEFA Cup, then a very serious competition, one year.

And didn't they start one season with ten wins or something, until Liverpool drew at Old Trafford - might have been the year Liverpool did the double, 85-86? I think the wheels came off, big time, that season and Atkinson never recovered.

Boycey

Wouldn't insult myself by voting but as a child of the 70s Docs teams are/were my favourites... If the internet was around then the story of the Docs sacking would have got some milage  ;D

seafoid

It's interesting that Busby and Fergie who delivered serious trophies were both followed by mediocrity that took several managers to get through
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: J70 on December 05, 2018, 03:10:30 PM

They used to beat Liverpool regularly. Talented midfield and attack. And Paul McGrath.

I remember them coming close in the UEFA Cup, then a very serious competition, one year.

And didn't they start one season with ten wins or something, until Liverpool drew at Old Trafford - might have been the year Liverpool did the double, 85-86? I think the wheels came off, big time, that season and Atkinson never recovered.

I think it was the 1983/84 Cup Winners Cup you're thinking of. Knocked out Maradona's Barcelona in the quarter final on a glorious night in Old Trafford with a 3-0 win to overturn a 0-2 first leg deficit. Narrowly lost out to Juventus who I think had Platini, Boniek and Rossi in the subsequent semi final.

It was 1985/86 that they had 10 wins from 10 to start the season, a draw with Luton breaking the run. Just chekced there and it was 13 wins out of 15 to start the season. Lost 6 gamers out of 10 from December 21st to March 15th and were down to 3rd. Robson's injury and Hughes going totally out of form after being sold to Barcelona (was announced near the end of the season but had been agreed over Christmas from memory) major reasons for the drop off. Big Ron was gone in November.

stiffler

Jose is the Teresa may of football management.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Square Ball

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 05, 2018, 06:11:23 PM

I think it was the 1983/84 Cup Winners Cup you're thinking of. Knocked out Maradona's Barcelona in the quarter final on a glorious night in Old Trafford with a 3-0 win to overturn a 0-2 first leg deficit. Narrowly lost out to Juventus who I think had Platini, Boniek and Rossi in the subsequent semi final.

It was 1985/86 that they had 10 wins from 10 to start the season, a draw with Luton breaking the run. Just chekced there and it was 13 wins out of 15 to start the season. Lost 6 gamers out of 10 from December 21st to March 15th and were down to 3rd. Robson's injury and Hughes going totally out of form after being sold to Barcelona (was announced near the end of the season but had been agreed over Christmas from memory) major reasons for the drop off. Big Ron was gone in November.

I was at that game, was at the Arsenal match that weekend, think won 3-0 or so.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

magpie seanie

Quote from: Square Ball on December 06, 2018, 01:15:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 05, 2018, 06:11:23 PM

I was at that game, was at the Arsenal match that weekend, think won 3-0 or so.

Clearly remember it as a kid....along with the two FA Cup wins in the 80's it was a highlight.