Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Here's a sample. Some turnaround!

Moysider- 2008Yes we can blame our defensive fraility on him. He s the manager. He picked and organised -or not - this defence. McHugh said today that he only saw Boyle and Conroy once - against Donegal - and they did nt look up to it. Apparently Johnno thought different. Yesterday he found out for sure. Now Boyle and Conroy are good footballers but they re  half back and midfielders. Johnno said he had a hunch that Conroy could play full back. He was wrong. The damning thing about it is these lads looked as raw yesterday as their first league match - and petrified with fear. If any coaching was done on their defensive game it did nt show. Their positioning was wrong, could nt track a run, could nt stand a forward up - stuff they could have been taught. Turns out he left better defenders on the bench and while the subs improved things it left us short on options later in the game. I for one had serious issue with the team for some time. Lumping it into lads in a public forum coming up to a Connacht final is not the thing to do though.

Barney 2008

Yes it was our first real championship test but the problems that arose could have been rectified during the league. Two years into the JOM era there has been nothing of note achieved. There have been 3 teams picked by him for championship football and the three difficult games have been lost, are we now to have attempt number 4 in the qualifiers. The players are lacking but a gameplan could have been devised to overcome these shortcomings. I don't blame him on the McDonald front but his impact has been disappointing. Many times the manager has said he would like to be in the position of managing the team from the morning after the Dublin win in 2006. What would have changed if he had been in charge for the final? Nothing. Mickey Moran was a decent man who did a decent job and was humiliated by our inept County Board. We are getting what we deserve.

In fact this game was a mirror image of the league game. Galway scoring at will, including goals. Big lead pulled back. Carnage in our full-back line. Ausin O'Malley shown up. Joyce pulling the strings. Mayo with the chance to win. Galway cutness winning out.

Dont know why Mayo players would give up at this point, they're only 1 game worse off than Galway. They've trained for 7 months plus and if theyd shown up for the 1st 25 minutes would now be the champions. They can put it right with one victory so dont think they should give up now.

Now despite what I have said this is very true. We only lost by a point (and it is a mixed blessing to have lost - in our current status we would be very vulnerable in Croke Park). However another game to hone things may bring us on for a glorious exit in either the quarters, or with luck the semis (remember we can't face the Kingdom until the semis). There is no point in ripping up the gameplan for this year. The back line does need work although I don't think it can be fixed short-term at this stage. The People's Hero should be shown the door and replaced with Kilcoyne (who has the ability to be a consistent free-taker, and who I felt was best placed for the last kick - can also score 45s), and probably Billie Joe for Trevor. Trevor Howley would add a bit of bite to the backs.

If the manager cannot get the team up for the next game he may as well pack his bags.

Farrendeelin 2008
Don't worry, everyone I've spoken to is delighted we lost, so it will speed up O'Mahony's dismissal, (if the Co board do anything). It was an absolutely pathetic display yesterday. From the word go you could see that we weren't up to it. How we led by a point at ht is beyond me. I don't know what the players are doing on the training field but kicking the ball and shot selection obviously isn't up there with the methods whatever they do. I'm just sick of the same old story. Maybe McDonald would have made a difference today but the whole team weren't tuned in so it's hard to know. I think the management will have to take a good look at themselves because it's back to the drawing-board now. Maybe we haven't the players but if the manager instilled any pride at all the lack of quality could be made up for. Back in the 70s as moysider said. Tyrone weren't great and that's the worse thing of all, same thing about Galway, as they weren't great either. So Mayo must be worse than not great. We need to realise that if O'Mahony is still here next year, we might win a championship game against one of the leading lights of Division 3/4 but that's about it.

James Nallen was the best Mayo player yesterday, what does that tell us about the youth that won the u-21s in 06, I know I've been v critical of Nallen in the past. Last year what happened, we beat Cavan, this year we beat Sligo. Just not good enough I'm afraid.

And don't worry, Angelina and Co won't hear tell of any criticism of Johnno.  

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 10:49:20 PM
Here's a sample. Some turnaround!

Moysider- 2008Yes we can blame our defensive fraility on him. He s the manager. He picked and organised -or not - this defence. McHugh said today that he only saw Boyle and Conroy once - against Donegal - and they did nt look up to it. Apparently Johnno thought different. Yesterday he found out for sure. Now Boyle and Conroy are good footballers but they re  half back and midfielders. Johnno said he had a hunch that Conroy could play full back. He was wrong. The damning thing about it is these lads looked as raw yesterday as their first league match - and petrified with fear. If any coaching was done on their defensive game it did nt show. Their positioning was wrong, could nt track a run, could nt stand a forward up - stuff they could have been taught. Turns out he left better defenders on the bench and while the subs improved things it left us short on options later in the game. I for one had serious issue with the team for some time. Lumping it into lads in a public forum coming up to a Connacht final is not the thing to do though.

Barney 2008

Yes it was our first real championship test but the problems that arose could have been rectified during the league. Two years into the JOM era there has been nothing of note achieved. There have been 3 teams picked by him for championship football and the three difficult games have been lost, are we now to have attempt number 4 in the qualifiers. The players are lacking but a gameplan could have been devised to overcome these shortcomings. I don't blame him on the McDonald front but his impact has been disappointing. Many times the manager has said he would like to be in the position of managing the team from the morning after the Dublin win in 2006. What would have changed if he had been in charge for the final? Nothing. Mickey Moran was a decent man who did a decent job and was humiliated by our inept County Board. We are getting what we deserve.

In fact this game was a mirror image of the league game. Galway scoring at will, including goals. Big lead pulled back. Carnage in our full-back line. Ausin O'Malley shown up. Joyce pulling the strings. Mayo with the chance to win. Galway cutness winning out.

Dont know why Mayo players would give up at this point, they're only 1 game worse off than Galway. They've trained for 7 months plus and if theyd shown up for the 1st 25 minutes would now be the champions. They can put it right with one victory so dont think they should give up now.

Now despite what I have said this is very true. We only lost by a point (and it is a mixed blessing to have lost - in our current status we would be very vulnerable in Croke Park). However another game to hone things may bring us on for a glorious exit in either the quarters, or with luck the semis (remember we can't face the Kingdom until the semis). There is no point in ripping up the gameplan for this year. The back line does need work although I don't think it can be fixed short-term at this stage. The People's Hero should be shown the door and replaced with Kilcoyne (who has the ability to be a consistent free-taker, and who I felt was best placed for the last kick - can also score 45s), and probably Billie Joe for Trevor. Trevor Howley would add a bit of bite to the backs.

If the manager cannot get the team up for the next game he may as well pack his bags.

Farrendeelin 2008
Don't worry, everyone I've spoken to is delighted we lost, so it will speed up O'Mahony's dismissal, (if the Co board do anything). It was an absolutely pathetic display yesterday. From the word go you could see that we weren't up to it. How we led by a point at ht is beyond me. I don't know what the players are doing on the training field but kicking the ball and shot selection obviously isn't up there with the methods whatever they do. I'm just sick of the same old story. Maybe McDonald would have made a difference today but the whole team weren't tuned in so it's hard to know. I think the management will have to take a good look at themselves because it's back to the drawing-board now. Maybe we haven't the players but if the manager instilled any pride at all the lack of quality could be made up for. Back in the 70s as moysider said. Tyrone weren't great and that's the worse thing of all, same thing about Galway, as they weren't great either. So Mayo must be worse than not great. We need to realise that if O'Mahony is still here next year, we might win a championship game against one of the leading lights of Division 3/4 but that's about it.

James Nallen was the best Mayo player yesterday, what does that tell us about the youth that won the u-21s in 06, I know I've been v critical of Nallen in the past. Last year what happened, we beat Cavan, this year we beat Sligo. Just not good enough I'm afraid.

And don't worry, Angelina and Co won't hear tell of any criticism of Johnno.  

Abbeysider would have got you the honour. Barney and Farrandeelin have been anti Johnno for a good while while i dont know about Moysider, so barely a pass. Unless you dig out Abbeysider.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

aye and highorjohno wouldn't have a bad word to say about the man indiana
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

INDIANA

Ah sure I'll have a look but I was talking generally. This year Johnno can do no wrong where as last year his name was mud. Is this all on the basis of the Roscommon game.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 10:59:30 PM
Ah sure I'll have a look but I was talking generally. This year Johnno can do no wrong where as last year his name was mud. Is this all on the basis of the Roscommon game.

i don't know about that indiana if you recall there were a lot of posters questioning the management  up to the Dublin game (remember kilcoyne was brought on and taken off that day)  and ye should have us hammered out the gate after that results improved . As regards the roscommmon game as my grandfather used to say  one swallow doesn't make a summer
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

It's the green and red mist. It descends every Spring. The only variable is when it clears. Some years July others as late as the end of September.
MWWSI 2017

OirthearMhaigheo

Indiana, you're being very selective and talking a wee bit of shite. Those 3 posters you pulled out have been slagging Johnno for quite a while. Most people, while not delighted with his first two years have been on his side and have been willing to back one of the best managers the game has ever seen. This is not based on the Roscommon game but on his track record.
If I were you I'd stick to looking closely at your own unproven manager, I know I wouldn't swap with you!

m@yoman

sorry for going off topic lads but if anyone is interested, the lads in www.clubmayo.ie are having a bit of an event the Wednesday before the Connacht Final in Dicey Reillys on Harcourt Street...Bit of a Table Quiz, plenty prizes and maybe a bit of a chat about the upcoming match from a guest or two...

more details on the link above....

INDIANA

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 08, 2009, 11:11:32 PM

Indiana, you're being very selective and talking a wee bit of shite. Those 3 posters you pulled out have been slagging Johnno for quite a while. Most people, while not delighted with his first two years have been on his side and have been willing to back one of the best managers the game has ever seen. This is not based on the Roscommon game but on his track record.
If I were you I'd stick to looking closely at your own unproven manager, I know I wouldn't swap with you!

Ah sure why would anyone have an opinion on another thread here? Another reason why this board discussion is probably at its lowest level. Wind your neck in.

AbbeySider

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 10:06:18 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider
Your personal attacks, assaults of character, and name-calling directed and JOM was and is pathetic.

Hypocritical really. i could pull out numerous posts from last year of the same Mayo fans slating JOM. So make up your mind lads.

Quote from: muppet on July 08, 2009, 10:53:20 PM
Abbeysider would have got you the honour. Barney and Farrandeelin have been anti Johnno for a good while while i dont know about Moysider, so barely a pass. Unless  you dig out Abbeysider.

Get your facts straight Indy before you label every Mayo poster a hypocrite. There are plenty of Mayo posters who would have voiced anti –JOM opinions and still do.
I would be one of the first to voice an opinion on whether or not I agreed with a move, selection or tactic.

However, some posters launch scathing personal attacks that included name calling in the past.
I dont mind someone pointing out a mistake, or voicing differences of opinion, or even criticizing a move. But name calling and character attacks should be left in the playground as it is pathetic and cowardice.

All that said, I was originally calling on JOMs track record which proves he is one of the best managers out there. All facts, none of which can be disputed.
That's not to say that he will have success as a Mayo manager.

rosnarun

my comment re the archive i think is well proven by your statement of the facts. the last date you quted if iam reading correctly is 2001. thats pretty much history in my book.
and the second half of my statement reflects my growing positive attitude to this year. maybe he can restore mayo to the heights achieved by Maughan or the men that was chucked out for his convenience M&M.
I really would not care if a Green TD made the team wear jerseys made from hemp if it helped mayo win an all Ireland. but as JOM pointed out to CMcdonald lasyt year you have to prove your self every time you go out on the pitch. Players and manager. hopefully ill end up looking silly come september, thats  not one of my major concerns
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

I was just stating the facts as I saw it last year indiana. And we've beaten one of the leading lights in Division 3/4 this year as I've predicted!! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Son_of_Sam

Lads does anyone know if there is any Irish Pub/Pub in either Townsville or Cairns showing the match, I wonder is PJ O'Briens in Cairns showing it. I am more likely to be in Townsville when the match happens so just wondering does anyone know?

highorlow

Quoteyou have a cheapshot at mc by implying that Mc was discarded by his club this week

Where did I imply that?

My main point is that ros is a waffler and as far as I'm concerned that point is proven.

As regards McD I regret even bringing up the issue now. I was in no way having a cheap shot at Kieran and would never intend to.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

highorlow

QuoteAh sure why would anyone have an opinion on another thread here? Another reason why this board discussion is probably at its lowest level. Wind your neck in.

Cheeky Dubs have an opinion on another County. ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go