Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on September 02, 2019, 01:30:09 PM
Looking forward to the replay now, should be another classic. The difference between the Mayo-Dublin and Kerry-Dublin games is that you never really believed Mayo had the forwards to get over the line, while Kerry most certainly do.

Clifford mixed the good with the bad. Something that isn't really been talked about is how well he did to get Cooper sent off. Cooper's second yellow came from Clifford very cleverly getting Cooper on the wrong side. That said, he missed a few simple enough chances that he'll need to pop over the next day.

Belief and reality are two different things and the reality is Mayo were just as close as Kerry and both sets of forwards preformed in very similar ways against the Dubs, well on yesterday's evidence anyway!!!

Keane

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 02, 2019, 11:24:46 AM
Why the very noisy booing of Diarmuid Connolly when he came on? I would have expected more from the usually very sporting Kerry supporters.

Passions running high I suppose, bad form though from some of our crowd.

GalwayBayBoy

WhoDat

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 02, 2019, 02:00:38 PM
I thought McCarthy looked quite slow yesterday and might be better moved to midfield and O"Sullivan coming in. MDMA didn't quite cut it so might be something dublin would change.

McMahon should surely have some kind of role.

gavin doesn't trust mcmahon

Hound

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 02, 2019, 02:39:20 PM
Conor Lane rumoured to ref the replay.
There's going to be great fun with Charlie Redmond and Vinny Murphy and the boys taking the mick  with the likes of 'how can you have a cork man who spends all his holidays in Kerry reffing a Kerry match'  ;D

RandyDupree

Anywhere to rewatch the match online? Would like to see it from a sober perspective.

ballinaman

Quote from: MayoBuck on September 02, 2019, 02:11:13 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 02, 2019, 01:59:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 02, 2019, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 02, 2019, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 02, 2019, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 02, 2019, 01:28:23 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM
Why the very noisy booing of Diarmuid Connolly when he came on? I would have expected more from the usually very sporting Kerry supporters.

What were the thoughts on him taking on that shot at the end? I know it was central but must have been 50M out. I thought it was fairly clear that Dublin were passing the ball around trying to create space for a high % shot and think that was a waste.

That said, can you imagine the roar had he landed it.
Most decent club players would have fancied that one. For one of the most talented players to ever play the game you'd expect him to score that in his sleep. Thank god he missed it though.

Really? I don't even consider him one of the greatest Dubs ever to play the game.
Off topic but he's up there, ability wise. Can do things with the ball not many others ever can do. May never get back to his best now though. Either way, you'd expect him to kick that score easily.

Maybe he can, but we haven't seen it on the pitch.

Watch the 2nd half of the 2017 All Ireland replay or 2014 All Ireland club final if you haven't seen Connolly as his best.

I think Clifford is carrying am injury. He was gone with 10 minutes left and it was only on the pitch at the end because of his reputation.

I think that's just the way Clifford is, not down to injury. He doesn't have the legs or work rate that other forwards have. He's a big lad so will feel the pace of the game more than others.
Clifford has a history of shoulder instability and had stabilization surgery as far as I'm aware. Cooper of course wouldn't have known this and all pulling type more movements were accidental.  ::)

clarshack

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2019, 01:32:43 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on September 02, 2019, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 02, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
Ah lads the video of the Kerry and Dubs fans having a sing off and then all joining in singing "f**k Tyrone" is possibly the funniest/best thing I've seen in ages. Brilliant!!

can someone post this up please?

https://twitter.com/dermonolan91/status/1168270765357187072?s=19

Tyrone still living rent free in Kerry's heads i see, and i guess those weren't the Dubs that visited Aidan McAnespie's memorial.

Estimator

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 02, 2019, 01:55:48 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on September 02, 2019, 01:26:45 PM
Did anyone else notice Jason Sherlock running onto the pitch for practically every Kerry kickout in the first half? He seemed to make a bee line for anywhere within the Kerry half where there was space and sometimes seemed to just run in a loop around it. The pessimist in me thought it looked like Dublin were getting another body on the pitch to make it seem more crowded for the Kerry kickouts. I know nothing illegal about what he was doing, but it did seem un-sporting to me.
Only an opinion from a neutral and wonder did anyone notice this or was it just me making something out of nothing.

This is something that is so apparent when at a match and looking out the pitch at the movements for the restarts, it's a clear cynical tactic that needs to be stamped out, there's loads of teams at it - it's not just Dublin. The Kerry runner in the minor semi final this year was a disgrace for it.

It's a tactic that a lot of teams are employing. Kildare did it against Derry last year at Owenbeg. For everyone of Derry's kickouts a member of the backroom team was standing 15yrds infield taking up space. Would need a player to empty him to draw attention to it.

On the match itself. There was/is a lot of talk about the Dublin bench. And the competition just to get on to the 26. Yet looking at the player ratings in the Irish News. The only Dublin sub that achieved a rating was Paddy Small, the rest weren't given one as they were deemed to be 'Not on long enough to be rated'. Does Jim not trust the players enough to give them a bit more game time?

Finally it was heartwarming to see both sets of fans come together to sing "F*ck Tyrone"  :P
Ulster League Champions 2009

highorlow

QuoteThe 9/2 on offer for half time full time Kerry / Dublin looks a good bet.

Killarney was a disaster for us. We tried to play a kick pass game that day and failed. Horan went conservative against Dublin (don't blame him) after that. Possession was obviously the mantra.

If Kerry can share possession and play a kicking game into their inside forwards in the first half they could build a lead.

Whatever happens after that is up in the air.

Wouldn't rule out a draw.

FFS I didn't back the draw..................
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GetOverTheBar

Can anyone explain what happened last night then with Banquets etc?

Cancelled or how does that work....I've no idea, maybe one of the Dubs or Mayo lads know.

westbound

Did anyone else notice Jason Sherlock running onto the pitch for practically every Kerry kickout in the first half? He seemed to make a bee line for anywhere within the Kerry half where there was space and sometimes seemed to just run in a loop around it. The pessimist in me thought it looked like Dublin were getting another body on the pitch to make it seem more crowded for the Kerry kickouts. I know nothing illegal about what he was doing, but it did seem un-sporting to me.
Only an opinion from a neutral and wonder did anyone notice this or was it just me making something out of nothing.

One think I would criticise Gough about, there were a few times in the latter stages of the game when players went down injured and he made keepers take a kickout and on one occasion he waved off the medical staff off the pitch. Dangerous craic that, might have been gamesmanship but could have been serious injuries too.

1. That's definitely what Sherlock was doing - and he's not the first 'runner' to be at that!
2. Referees are instructed to play on with injured players unless it's a head injury. He was correct to get play to re-start.  And I think the time he waved the medical staff off the pitch was when the injured player was being subbed. He told him to get up and get off the pitch...which he was able to do!

Hound

Quote from: westbound on September 02, 2019, 04:17:11 PM

One think I would criticise Gough about, there were a few times in the latter stages of the game when players went down injured and he made keepers take a kickout and on one occasion he waved off the medical staff off the pitch. Dangerous craic that, might have been gamesmanship but could have been serious injuries too.

1. That's definitely what Sherlock was doing - and he's not the first 'runner' to be at that!
2. Referees are instructed to play on with injured players unless it's a head injury. He was correct to get play to re-start.  And I think the time he waved the medical staff off the pitch was when the injured player was being subbed. He told him to get up and get off the pitch...which he was able to do!
The Kerry lad (Griffin?) was on much more than Sherlock in the first half. I think Jayo upped his game in the 2nd!

fearsiuil

Quote from: westbound on September 02, 2019, 04:17:11 PM

Sean O'Shea was unable to run freely at end when Gough didn't allow medical attention on for Dublin free out. He hobbled back up field and was same attack where he gave away the Rock free kick out under Cusack sideline.

BennyCake

Quote from: dublin7 on September 02, 2019, 01:59:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 02, 2019, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 02, 2019, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 02, 2019, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 02, 2019, 01:28:23 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM

What were the thoughts on him taking on that shot at the end? I know it was central but must have been 50M out. I thought it was fairly clear that Dublin were passing the ball around trying to create space for a high % shot and think that was a waste.

That said, can you imagine the roar had he landed it.
Most decent club players would have fancied that one. For one of the most talented players to ever play the game you'd expect him to score that in his sleep. Thank god he missed it though.

Really? I don't even consider him one of the greatest Dubs ever to play the game.
Off topic but he's up there, ability wise. Can do things with the ball not many others ever can do. May never get back to his best now though. Either way, you'd expect him to kick that score easily.

Maybe he can, but we haven't seen it on the pitch.

Watch the 2nd half of the 2017 All Ireland replay or 2014 All Ireland club final if you haven't seen Connolly as his best.

I think Clifford is carrying am injury. He was gone with 10 minutes left and it was only on the pitch at the end because of his reputation.

Firstly, there was no replay final in 2017. And I did see 2017 final and the club final. Yes a few decent scores, but he's hardly up there with the likes of Brogan, Cooper, Murphy etc who continually do the business on big days. Connolly is a very overrated player.