More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

No one called at the door this year during evening or weekend when peopIe be in. leaflets dropped in during the day.

MoChara

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 30, 2019, 11:42:20 PM
No one called at the door this year during evening or weekend when peopIe be in. leaflets dropped in during the day.

I got a Sinn Fein leaflet through the door this year with someones blood scrawled over the front of it, I'm not sure if they want me to vote for them or they were sending a message  ;D ;D

RedHand88

Unbelievable the amount of bluffing on both sides regarding councillors affecting Brexit. Aren't they more concerned with leisure centres and traffic lights?

Harold Disgracey

Interesting article on canvassing and voter turnout, shared by a friend of mine who is standing for Alliance in the local elections.

https://www.pnas.org/content/96/19/10939

Applesisapples

I suppose I would be what is blandly called a cultural nationalist. I would need to be persuaded that a UI would not be disadvantageous to my standard of living. I am a keen observer of politics on this Island and abroad. Health is a major issue no matter where you live. Housing is as big an issue in Belfast as it is in Dublin. The NHS has many issues, I personally have paid about £1500 over the last two years to get private appointments for debilitating conditions which are not life threatening. I earn considerably less in my job (about 40%) than someone doing a similar job in the ROI. Cost of food would not be a concern, a frequent visitor to Donegal we always buy in the local Supervalu or Aldi and process appear on the whole for fresh foods to be commensurate with home. My wife friend feeds her family of 4 adult children by travelling from north to Aldi, saves a fortune she reckons. So what do I need convincing on? Firstly loyalist unrest, I'd be worried that this might be sparked off, so they need assurances (assurances that we did not get with partition). Secondly that as an ageing person more in need of the health service now, that I would be better off or at least not worst of financially with healthcare provision. That wages in the north would increase to keep pace with the higher cost of housing and other services. I need to see SF and the SDLP address this issues. But Brexit also has made me lean more towards a UI as has Unionism's failure to address parity for my national identity within the state to which the ask me to give my allegiance.

oakleaflad

Quote from: smelmoth on April 30, 2019, 10:23:23 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 30, 2019, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 30, 2019, 09:25:11 PM
Bit off topic, but a geniune question -

Those who are on the fence with regards to who to vote for come Thursday - do Candidates knocking on your door do anything positive that would influence you to vote for them? Or is it an outdated PR stunt?

Good question - hard to assess if it makes any difference.  People who usually knock your door are away down the list in terms of policy making and are usually in to 'help' out at elections.

The problem here is you don't knock the door, you're a p***k and if you do, you're still a p***k.

Too many negative people on here - all about, they are useless, he's no good, don't have any time for them etc. etc.

Correct that those knocking the door are unlikely to be the candidate. Also true that its the larger parties that are more likely to knock the door as they have the volunteer resource to do so.

The negativity here is about parties that there is every grounds to be negative about. Presumably posters are positive about other candidates. What is there to complain about in that?
I've found the opposite. I've only had Independent candidates knock at the door and talk. The larger parties put leaflets through the letter box during the day when we were at work.

ardtole

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 01, 2019, 12:48:16 PM
I suppose I would be what is blandly called a cultural nationalist. I would need to be persuaded that a UI would not be disadvantageous to my standard of living. I am a keen observer of politics on this Island and abroad. Health is a major issue no matter where you live. Housing is as big an issue in Belfast as it is in Dublin. The NHS has many issues, I personally have paid about £1500 over the last two years to get private appointments for debilitating conditions which are not life threatening. I earn considerably less in my job (about 40%) than someone doing a similar job in the ROI. Cost of food would not be a concern, a frequent visitor to Donegal we always buy in the local Supervalu or Aldi and process appear on the whole for fresh foods to be commensurate with home. My wife friend feeds her family of 4 adult children by travelling from north to Aldi, saves a fortune she reckons. So what do I need convincing on? Firstly loyalist unrest, I'd be worried that this might be sparked off, so they need assurances (assurances that we did not get with partition). Secondly that as an ageing person more in need of the health service now, that I would be better off or at least not worst of financially with healthcare provision. That wages in the north would increase to keep pace with the higher cost of housing and other services. I need to see SF and the SDLP address this issues. But Brexit also has made me lean more towards a UI as has Unionism's failure to address parity for my national identity within the state to which the ask me to give my allegiance.

There probably would be a loyalist backlash if a United Ireland was voted in. However if the 26 counties voted against a United Ireland I think there could a huge nationalist backlash due to a feeling of betrayal. Something that I've never heard mentioned but I feel  would cause a huge division between north and south.

BennyCake

A total waste of time. You could promise them anything, but it's all about the flag.

armaghniac

Secondly that as an ageing person more in need of the health service now, that I would be better off or at least not worst of financially with healthcare provision.

Well men live a year and a half longer on average in the Republic, a gap that has opened up in the last 5 years or so as life expectancy in NI for men actually declined marginally.
Around the time of the GFA, men lived a year longer in the North than the South, since the South has gone up by 7 and the North by 4.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dire Ear

Quote from: BennyCake on May 01, 2019, 01:13:49 PM

A total waste of time. You could promise them anything, but it's all about the flag.
Actually think the pound is more important to "them"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 01, 2019, 10:26:23 AM
Unbelievable the amount of bluffing on both sides regarding councillors affecting Brexit. Aren't they more concerned with leisure centres and traffic lights?

Great question. In the ABC council area there's a big debate raging about the plan to build the new Southern Regional College campus in the Craigavon City Park by the balancing lakes. There's a lot of local opposition to this, and there have been big protests at the civic centre during council meetings, but I doubt if there'll be any change to voting habits on green/orange lines.

It's a shame too. There are a lot of issues beyond "leisure centres and traffic lights" that local councils still have some control over. A big problem in the ABC council area is the neglect of the Lurgan and Portadown town centres while more runaway development keeps getting approved at Rushmere "you can park here for free all day" Retail Park, sucking the commercial life out of the towns and sacrificing family businesses in favour of big corporations. I see big problems ahead for the way the old towns are being treated, but you try bringing that to the council's attention when everyone's obsessed with the constitutional question which is completely outside the jurisdiction of local government.

smelmoth

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 01, 2019, 12:58:35 PM

Those who are on the fence with regards to who to vote for come Thursday - do Candidates knocking on your door do anything positive that would influence you to vote for them? Or is it an outdated PR stunt?

Good question - hard to assess if it makes any difference.  People who usually knock your door are away down the list in terms of policy making and are usually in to 'help' out at elections.

The problem here is you don't knock the door, you're a p***k and if you do, you're still a p***k.

Too many negative people on here - all about, they are useless, he's no good, don't have any time for them etc. etc.

Correct that those knocking the door are unlikely to be the candidate. Also true that its the larger parties that are more likely to knock the door as they have the volunteer resource to do so.

The negativity here is about parties that there is every grounds to be negative about. Presumably posters are positive about other candidates. What is there to complain about in that?
I've found the opposite. I've only had Independent candidates knock at the door and talk. The larger parties put leaflets through the letter box during the day when we were at work.

Well SF and DUP absolutely have the resources to call at the door. If they are not calling at the door they are choosing not to do so. SF now abstaining from the doorstep

trailer

Quote from: smelmoth on May 01, 2019, 10:18:42 PM

Well SF and DUP absolutely have the resources to call at the door. If they are not calling at the door they are choosing not to do so. SF now abstaining from the doorstep

That's lol from me.

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on May 01, 2019, 10:18:42 PM

Certainly not in my area. sad we're calling on doors on multiple occasions over the last few weeks. Other parties posted their stuff. And managed to get the owner of the house wrong

GetOverTheBar

I'm sure this is one area where we'll all find total agreement, if this guy is the one behind it all, I hope he's locked away for a long time, spills the beans on the whole lot in that area and gives the people of Creggan a chance to move on without them brainwashing the youth of the area any longer.

Unfortunately I've a feeling this will be one of those ones that rumbles on for awhile with the prosecution case collapsing mysteriously. I hope I'm very wrong.