mayo hurling

Started by the bucket, November 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand.

Mayo 0-20
Armagh 1-14

Armagh's long wait for a first ever win in the Christy Ring Cup goes on after they succumbed to Mayo at Elvery's MacHale Park.

The home side claimed a deserved three-point victory after leading for most of the game. With Kenny Feeney and Sean Regan to the fore, they led by 0-5 to 0-3 after 15 minutes, but an Armagh goal 10 minutes later had the Ulster side ahead, 1-5 to 0-7.

However, Mayo responded to lead by 0-11 to 1-5 at the break and they managed to keep their opponents at arm's length throughout the second half, despite the best efforts of Armagh's chief marksman Declan Coulter.

Mayo - D O'Brien; A Brennan, A Connolly, D Kenny; D Gallagher (0-3f), P O'Flynn, P Barrett; C Charlton, B Higgins; G Nolan (0-1), D McDonnell (0-1), F Boland (0-3); K Feeney (0-12, 7f), S Regan, B Hunt. Subs: K Keena for G Nolan, D McTigue for K Keena, S Morley for P Barrett, J Kennedy for C Charlton.

Armagh - S Doherty; C Devlin, C Clifford, M Garvey; S Reneghan, N Curry, P Gaffney; F Bradley (0-1), K McKernan (0-1); C Carvill, D Coulter (0-8, 7f), N Green; C Corvan (0-2), E McGuinness, A McGuinness (1-1). Subs: C McKee (0-1) for S Renaghan, O Curry for E McGuinness, P Hughes for K McKernan, L Woods for A McGuinness.

Referee - D O'Driscoll.

Mayo play Meath next Saturday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Congrats to the Mayo hurlers on defeating Wicklow in Arklow in the Quarter Final of the Christy Ring Cup this afternoon! Final score Wicklow 0-14 Mayo 1-15.

Farrandeelin

As an 'aside' the Mayo hurlers play Armagh in Ballina on Saturday at 1.3,0. You would nearly forget that it was on, unfortunatly that's how it is.

From the Bunker

Well done to Mayo Hurlers. Mayo saw off the challenge of Donegal in Letterkenny 1-18 to 2-11.

Mayo and Armagh will meet in the Rackard Cup decider on June 4th in Croker!

Would love to go to final, have a wedding that day! :(

Lar Naparka

I'm a bit puzzled at the lack of publicity the win on Sunday generated either on the main (hurling) section or here on the local forum. Are there any Mayo fans of the small ball game on Gaaboard? (Apart from me, that is.)

Sorry FTB, I didn't spot your earlier post. There are at least two of us and that's twice as good as being on your lown.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Congrats to the hurlers, decent achievement. Am I correct in saying that we've bounced straight back up after relegation last year?

I wouldn't be a huge hurling fan having never played it but I watch it all the same. Is there much / any effort being made to develop hurling in the county??

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 08, 2016, 11:28:00 PM
Congrats to the hurlers, decent achievement. Am I correct in saying that we've bounced straight back up after relegation last year?

I wouldn't be a huge hurling fan having never played it but I watch it all the same. Is there much / any effort being made to develop hurling in the county??

Mayo play Derry this Saturday in Ballinamore to gain promotion to Christy Ring.

Crete Boom

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 08, 2016, 11:28:00 PM

There is a great effort being put in at underage in clubs like Westport , Castlebar , Ballina and Caiseal Gaels all fielding teams form u8 up to U16. Ballina are hoping to compete at minor level for the first time in about 5 years with the emphasis being put on sustaining the underage teams by building slowly before going full blast at senior and U21 level rather just turning out a senior team whenever they could as had happened in the past. I think Ballina had a senior team in Táin league this year after a few years absence and hopefully in about five years you will have 6 strong teams competing on the county championship which when we had this before Mayo were in a B All Ireland final and regularly in the Christy Ring Cup semi finals!!!

If Clubs like Belmullet(in the 90's) and Ballinrobe (the 80's) could be brought back to life you would have a decent club championship and in fairness to Vincent Neary since he took over as secretary he has been hugely supportive of Ballina anyway in helping grow hurling. Mayo have some superb hurlers and if you get the chance to go to the relegation playoff on Sat you will be well impressed by lads like Kenny Feeney , Sean Regan , David Kenny , The Boland brothers , Cathal Freeman and Keith Higgins.

macdanger2

Awful news about the Derry hurler who was due to line out against us this weekend

Farrandeelin

Well done to the Mayo hurlers on winning the Nickey Rackard Cup earlier today.

From the Bunker