Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2022, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:02:13 AM
Congratulations to the magpies, everyone is Down is proud of you. Kane, Dabs, McEvoy, Johnston x 3 need to come to Down. If they do we will have some team. Derrygonnely was shocking and I think about 5 teams would beat them in our county. We have a strong club set up and the games which got in the club championship show this.

Kilcoo had the measure of Derrygonnelly early on and whilst that patient, cross field toing and froing is hard to watch, it took the sting out of the Fermanagh men. I think their third point was either in the 60th minute or just after it.

Well done the Magpies and on they go to an AI semi-final.

I see a Liatroim McCrickard has a Munster club championship medal in his pocket with the Barrs..

Apparently a supporters bus heang from Liatriom to the AI semi final :)

FM

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:02:13 AM
Congratulations to the magpies, everyone is Down is proud of you. Kane, Dabs, McEvoy, Johnston x 3 need to come to Down. If they do we will have some team. Derrygonnely was shocking and I think about 5 teams would beat them in our county. We have a strong club set up and the games which got in the club championship show this.
Everyone? Really?

Truth hurts

well apart from a few clubs who had battles over the years. There was good support there yesterday and a lot of East Down intermediate and junior clubs there in support.

upandwin

Well done Kilcoo...very impressive display and never looked in any trouble. Could see the life getting sucked out of Derrygonnelly after 15mins of chasing shadows.

Can't quite wrap my head around their game plan though, what did D'Gonnelly hope to achieve? Did they think they were going to keep Kilcoo out for 60mins or just try hang tight in the game long enough to sneak a goal late on or what? The one team in Ireland I wouldn't be inviting on is Kilcoo. Clueless from the Fermanagh champions, really shocked at how poor a spectacle that was.

Kilcoo to stroll the AI now with no Paul Mannion available for Kilmacud?

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 10:06:05 AM
well apart from a few clubs who had battles over the years. There was good support there yesterday and a lot of East Down intermediate and junior clubs there in support.
No East Down Senior Clubs supporting them?What a daft statement to be making.

Truth hurts

Quote from: rosskarr on January 17, 2022, 11:11:57 AM

Where did i say that ross?

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 11:17:14 AM

So you didn't see any East Down Senior Club members supporting Kilcoo?

manwithnoplan

Quote from: rosskarr on January 17, 2022, 11:59:21 AM

This is ridiculous. Stop clogging up the forum with childish nonsense.

Mourne Red

Providing they go on and win the All-Ireland - Where would this Kilcoo team rank against the Burren team of the 80s? Wasn't born so wouldn't know what that team of the 80s were like.

rosskarr

Quote from: manwithnoplan on January 17, 2022, 12:07:32 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on January 17, 2022, 11:59:21 AM

This is ridiculous. Stop clogging up the forum with childish nonsense.
Agree but I just keep reacting to his non sensical posts. ::)

thewobbler

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 17, 2022, 12:10:57 PM
Providing they go on and win the All-Ireland - Where would this Kilcoo team rank against the Burren team of the 80s? Wasn't born so wouldn't know what that team of the 80s were like.

I don't think it's possible to compare them. Burren ones may correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe their second AI team in 88 included 3 starters who were still at school (Fegan, Fitzpatrick, Duggan). This was at a time when talented teenagers where thrown straight into county football so it wasn't mad to see teenagers break in back then.  I just couldn't imagine a team having them physical strength to win an AI club these days with three schoolboys in it.

FM

Aw ridiculous statement. Backboned by a team that won the AI 2 years previous, adding three young lads into that and saying they wouldn't win an AI this day and age is mad

Targetman

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 17, 2022, 12:10:57 PM
I remember following that Burren team all over Ulster and seeing them win their All Irelands, my da worked with a few Burren men, they were a seriously strong physical team and throw in the likes of Shorty and Mc Ardle they had a perfect mix, the game has changed so much so to compare with Kilcoo is hard to do, but Burren have 2 Andy Merrigan's so its over to you Kilcoo !

thewobbler

Quote from: FM on January 17, 2022, 01:09:56 PM
Aw ridiculous statement. Backboned by a team that won the AI 2 years previous, adding three young lads into that and saying they wouldn't win an AI this day and age is mad

My point is that times have changed and comparisons are pointless. It was no sleight on an outstanding Burren team. I'm sure the 3 schoolboys were excellent players; it's just so difficult to imagine a team winning Frank O'Hare with 3 schoolboys in it these days, let alone an AI club.

snoopdog

A lot of the resentment towards Kilcoo in Down is a mix of the supposed dirty tactics and sledging that has went on in recent years. Although can all teams in the county/country say they have no players that do this? And there would be jealousy also. A lot of the big clubs in Down are no where near matching Kilcoo for intensity determination and planning. They watch kilcoo breeze past them year in year out but they fail to come back better prepared the following year. I'd say most Down people want to see kilcoo  do well once they come out of Down. Im a Down man and I hope they win the All Ireqlnd.