Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

I mentioned South Down because that's where I'm from and all I know about in terms of players getting sent to the bigger clubs and using the schools as a way of justifying it...I'm sure it does happen all over the county, I just wouldn't have heard about where and why...but I know for a fact it's been happening for years in and around Burren...as do you

upandwin

Quote from: thewobbler on January 07, 2022, 11:37:52 AM
Can you define what you mean by snobbery?

Also it would be good if you could clarify if you mean Burren, or Burren and others.

What I mean by Snobbery is that I've heard from a number of people that 'the coaching is better and they take football much more serious in Burren than any other club in their proximity'...which to be honest I can't argue with but I think if you live in a parish you should play there despite generations before you but that's just my opinion. I have seen on many occasions that a child will be purposely sent to Carrick PS because they have a mixed school, where there wasn't one in Warrenpoint. That was a tool for parents to say if they school in Burren they should play with their friends...but no there's a mixed PS in W'Point it is still happening so I that's what I'm referring to as snobbery Wobbler.

upandwin

Quote from: Three man weave on January 07, 2022, 11:24:44 AM
Confirmed lineup from reliable source

Charlie Smyth

Paul Martin
Paddy Murdock
Peter fegan

Adam lynch
Niall mcparland
Kevin Mckernan

Caolan Mooney
Oran Murdock

Shane annett
Conor poland
Sean OConnor

Corey Quinn
Pat havern
Arthur mcconville

Some nonsense spouted on this forum ffs hahahaha...I'd be surprised if 4 of those are right.

Charlie Smyth- I'd Guess Burns will play

Paul Martin - Never heard of him
Paddy Murdock - Won't start tonight
Peter fegan - Possible

Adam lynch - Not even on the squad this year
Niall mcparland - Possible
Kevin Mckernan - Won't be playing

Caolan Mooney - Won't be playing
Oran Murdock - Possible but highly doubt he'll start

Shane annett - Don't even think he's on the squad this year
Conor poland - Don't think he's on the squad this year
Sean OConnor - No idea who he is

Corey Quinn - Not playing McKenna Cup
Pat havern - Probably will start
Arthur mcconville - Not on the squad this year

Reliable source alright...don't quit the day job

Truth hurts

Well, Burren takes players from the Point, Rostrevor, Newry, Saval, and Mayobridge.
Ballyholland now is taking a lot from Newry and taking players who would have been traditionally playing for the 3 Newry town teams.
Mayobridge would always have  Saval and Drumgath parish players.
Clonduff would take from Drumgath and Rostrevor.
An Riocht would take anyone with a mourne accent ffs
Glenn takes players from Saval, Pontzpass, Newry etc, and anyone who has ever attended Dromintine Sunday.
Annaclone: If you play for Aghaderg then the Clone thinks that they can poach you.
Tullylish: Their scheme to try and win an u15 plate this year is enough for me. Probably the biggest embarrassment in Down GAA this century so far and we have had a lot.

Do you want me to go on ;D

Mourne Red

Quote from: upandwin on January 07, 2022, 11:44:24 AM

Also it would be good if you could clarify if you mean Burren, or Burren and others.

What I mean by Snobbery is that I've heard from a number of people that 'the coaching is better and they take football much more serious in Burren than any other club in their proximity'...which to be honest I can't argue with but I think if you live in a parish you should play there despite generations before you but that's just my opinion. I have seen on many occasions that a child will be purposely sent to Carrick PS because they have a mixed school, where there wasn't one in Warrenpoint. That was a tool for parents to say if they school in Burren they should play with their friends...but no there's a mixed PS in W'Point it is still happening so I that's what I'm referring to as snobbery Wobbler.

I wouldn't say that's snobbery on Burren's behalf but more a problem with parents - The club aren't at fault for that

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 07, 2022, 11:57:59 AM
Well, Burren takes players from the Point, Rostrevor, Newry, Saval, and Mayobridge.
Ballyholland now is taking a lot from Newry and taking players who would have been traditionally playing for the 3 Newry town teams.
Glenn takes players from Saval, Pontzpass, Newry etc, and anyone who has ever attended Dromintine Sunday.
Annaclone: If you play for Aghaderg then the Clone thinks that they can poach you.
Tullylish: Their scheme to try and win an u15 plate this year is enough for me. Probably the biggest embarrassment in Down GAA this century so far and we have had a lot.

So you think this behaviour/tradition changes once you get past Greenan's pub?

Deluded.

Truth hurts

What I mean by Snobbery is that I've heard from a number of people that 'the coaching is better and they take football much more serious in Burren than any other club in their proximity

And the did not happen of the year award goes to upandwin  ;D

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 07, 2022, 11:57:59 AM

Castlewellan take players from the Finn,
Downpatrick take players from Bright, Ardglass, Saul
Saul take players from Kilclief
Bredagh take players from Antrim Belfast clubs
Bryansford take players from Dundrum
Dundrum took players from Ballykilnar

Let's not get on like its a South Down clubs issue like some posters are trying to make out 

upandwin

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 07, 2022, 11:58:05 AM

I wouldn't say that's snobbery on Burren's behalf but more a problem with parents - The club aren't at fault for that

No no, I'm not suggesting it's Burren snobbery here btw. I'm referring to parents snobbery. I Wouldn't be putting any blame on a club on this issue tbh, don't think any club is going to turn away kids from joining. I mean there's a perception (maybe rightly so, I don't know) that kids will get a far better chance of becoming a better player and winning stuff if they go to St Mary's so the parents take them up the road :)

whitegoodman

This discussion is hilarious today.

The comments about Glenn and Dromintine Sunday is particularly funny and the loaning of players.  A WUM at its best.

On another point is Ballyholland seen as a Newry club ?  Does their parish include parts of Newry ?  Genuine question as the perception is that a load of lads from Newry play for them now compared to 10-15 years ago.

upandwin

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 07, 2022, 12:03:55 PM

What I mean by Snobbery is that I've heard from a number of people that 'the coaching is better and they take football much more serious in Burren than any other club in their proximity

And the did not happen of the year award goes to upandwin  ;D

You must be right, the players from W'point/Rostrevor and Newry etc. are there for the sights and nightclubs in Burren then...

Three man weave

Split burren underage teams in two, East and West Burren, will make underage more competitive again

thewobbler

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 12:09:46 PM
This discussion is hilarious today.

The comments about Glenn and Dromintine Sunday is particularly funny and the loaning of players.  A WUM at its best.

On another point is Ballyholland seen as a Newry club ?  Does their parish include parts of Newry ?  Genuine question as the perception is that a load of lads from Newry play for them now compared to 10-15 years ago.

Of the 28 panel for our most recent SFC match v Kilcoo.

20 x went to Ballyholland PS.

1 x from Ballyholland went to Bunscoil.

1 x moved to Ballyholland as a young teenager.

1 x from Derryleckagh (we are closest club)

2 x from the Manse (we are closest club)

1 x from the Dublin Road but a Ballyholland family.

1 x transferred to Ballyholland when he settled here after getting married.

1 x transferred to Ballyholland in his early 20s from a neighbouring club.

——

Maybe things will be different in the future. But currently, no, we are not a Newry side, not in the sense that we recruit from Newry..

whitegoodman

So does going to Ballyholland PS school mean they live in or are from Ballyholland ?

The general consensus on here is that there are a lot that went to Burren PS but aren't from or living in Burren !!

Just wondering does different clubs have different rules on this sort of thing when it comes to Gaaboard rules ?

thewobbler

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 12:38:51 PM
So does going to Ballyholland PS school mean they live in or are from Ballyholland ?

The general consensus on here is that there are a lot that went to Burren PS but aren't from or living in Burren !!

Just wondering does different clubs have different rules on this sort of thing when it comes to Gaaboard rules ?

I know what you're getting at here. The PS's reach extends out to the Warrenpoint Road and High Street areas. Which is roughly the way the Harps has always operated too. But it's always been in small numbers. Proper "town folk" just don't have the interest or want for rural roads and rural ways. Those who come to the school from Newry tend to be second generation rural folk. There's nothing pointed in what I'm explaining here by the way. Our PS is literally in the middle of nowhere. People who are used to a lifestyle of convenience will never be interested in such things!