Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: the_daddy on January 04, 2022, 12:25:39 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on January 04, 2022, 12:06:20 PM
Who's Tyrone's full time S&C coach?
No-one, the FT job was never filled after Peter Donnelly left.

Peter Donnelly is Tyrone S&C coach - Fella from Ulster took over when he went to Monaghan but he was back with them last year, joined back once Dooher took over

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 12:10:40 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on January 04, 2022, 11:54:41 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 11:02:41 AM
No, I won't go but I hope it's being streamed.
I don't get the issue about Tyrone being ripped, do all clubs not have state-of-the-art gyms now anyway.

Wouldn't say state of the art - Squat Racks, Trap Bars, Benches, Dumbells etc But wouldn't have great set ups to do explosive exercises like sled push/pulls and the gyms are used by members of the club so can get busy.

Might have have also been dig at the S&C coaches that have worked with the County - Tyrone/Donegal have full time roles for a S&C coach I'm not sure if we have the same.

Would young lads also be members of gyms as well? I do not see what the fuss is about but I do think we need to get the ball moving in Ballykinlar. I also would like to see some money being pumped into Newcastle. There was something special about national league games in Newcastle and we seemed to always do well. It is the spiritual home of Down football, especially in the '60s. There should be a lot more games on it but everything seems to be pushed towards Newry which is handy for the big south Down clubs.

Pump money into Newcastle?

We, the clubs of Down, are still paying handsomely for the last attempt at pumping money into Newcastle.

You'd be well advised to wait until that debt that is cleared before seeking a ball of money for what amounts to little more than a nostalgia trip.

——-

Newry doesn't work better because it's near "south down elite clubs" or whatever the f**k it is you want to dream up.

It works better because as it straddles the A1/M1 corridor, it is 30-45 minutes more convenient than Newcastle for every county player and follower in Ireland, save for those in north Down and East Antrim.

And in terms of club matches, it would take a large seven figure sum to develop the seating and floodlighting facilities that Newry provides, up the county. And for what? So we can have two grounds lying dormant 355 days a year?

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on January 04, 2022, 12:53:49 PM
I don't get the issue about Tyrone being ripped, do all clubs not have state-of-the-art gyms now anyway.

Wouldn't say state of the art - Squat Racks, Trap Bars, Benches, Dumbells etc But wouldn't have great set ups to do explosive exercises like sled push/pulls and the gyms are used by members of the club so can get busy.

Might have have also been dig at the S&C coaches that have worked with the County - Tyrone/Donegal have full time roles for a S&C coach I'm not sure if we have the same.

Would young lads also be members of gyms as well? I do not see what the fuss is about but I do think we need to get the ball moving in Ballykinlar. I also would like to see some money being pumped into Newcastle. There was something special about national league games in Newcastle and we seemed to always do well. It is the spiritual home of Down football, especially in the '60s. There should be a lot more games on it but everything seems to be pushed towards Newry which is handy for the big south Down clubs.

We, the clubs of Down, are still paying handsomely for the last attempt at pumping money into Newcastle.

You'd be well advised to wait until that debt that is cleared before seeking a ball of money for what amounts to little more than a nostalgia trip.

——-

Newry doesn't work better because it's near "south down elite clubs" or whatever the f**k it is you want to dream up.

It works better because as it straddles the A1/M1 corridor, it is 30-45 minutes more convenient than Newcastle for every county player and follower in Ireland, save for those in north Down and East Antrim.

And in terms of club matches, it would take a large seven figure sum to develop the seating and floodlighting facilities that Newry provides, up the county. And for what? So we can have two grounds lying dormant 355 days a year?

Jesus, who got out of the wrong side of the bed today.

It's convenient for you as you are a Newry club no doubt. I just think that a bit of TLC is needed in Newcastle as it's an iconic pitch with a great view and it's the historic home of GAA in Down. I am not asking for a full capacity all-seater airdrome. The Ards teams would have no trouble in coming to Newcastle to play their national league game. There is more than a few clubs in Down remember.

thewobbler

Wrong side of bed?

Seriously have a read back on your posts. It's basically a never ending chant along the lines of "Down okay. East Down good. South Down evil".

This latest spiel is just another angst-ridden, illogical, nonsensical complaint about nothing. Creating barriers where none exist. Trying to lay claim the "spiritual home" of Down football. FFS.

Ballykinlar will have a stand for spectators. We (ie the entire county) no more need a small stadium in Newcastle than we need a new variant of Covid.

ardtole

Have to agree with wobbler on this one.

Truth hurts

Well back when we were successful, Newcastle was used as equally as Newry for our games. Newcastle created a better atmosphere and was a much better venue for county final day. But the powers that be decided to pump all the money into the soccer-orientated Newry to possibly try to better the clubs there. Newcastle has been left to virtually rot, I know a number of Bryansford Gaels feel aggrieved at this.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 01:19:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 04, 2022, 12:53:49 PM

——-

Jesus, who got out of the wrong side of the bed today.

It's convenient for you as you are a Newry club no doubt. I just think that a bit of TLC is needed in Newcastle as it's an iconic pitch with a great view and it's the historic home of GAA in Down. I am not asking for a full capacity all-seater airdrome. The Ards teams would have no trouble in coming to Newcastle to play their national league game. There is more than a few clubs in Down remember.

Once you've to cross the lough on the ferryboat it's as handy going to Newry as Newcastle but thanks for thinking of us..

I'm with Wobbler on this one, no need to be pumping more money into Newcastle (even though Down CB own it, unlike Newry) and spend that money on Ballykinlar.

Truth hurts

I don't want Newcastle to be like white hart lane, but a set of flood lights would be great.

SamFever

Truths Hurts,how long have you been about Down GAA circles?The Newcastle/Burrenbridge saga went on for years
and if you are not familiar with it,I suggest you read up on it.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 02:01:46 PM
Well back when we were successful, Newcastle was used as equally as Newry for our games. Newcastle created a better atmosphere and was a much better venue for county final day. But the powers that be decided to pump all the money into the soccer-orientated Newry to possibly try to better the clubs there. Newcastle has been left to virtually rot, I know a number of Bryansford Gaels feel aggrieved at this.

As a player from East Down give me a trip to Newry over playing in St Patricks Park.. Esler has something about it that no other pitch in the County has, it's where everyone wants to play. Bryansford could at least cut the grass or fill in holes on the pitch if they feel aggrieved by being left to rot.

Also it's laughable you say Soccer-Orientated Newry.. Newry and the surrounding clubs have supplied us with some of the best players to put on the Red and Black

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 04, 2022, 02:39:16 PM

As a player from East Down give me a trip to Newry over playing in St Patricks Park.. Esler has something about it that no other pitch in the County has, it's where everyone wants to play. Bryansford could at least cut the grass or fill in holes on the pitch if they feel aggrieved by being left to rot.

Also it's laughable you say Soccer-Orientated Newry.. Newry and the surrounding clubs have supplied us with some of the best players to put on the Red and Black

We haven't had a regular from Newry since Damien Rafferty, McGovern is choosing soccer so we have lost him.

I am fully aware of the Newcastle saga and the clowns that messed up the deal.  But I do think that Newcastle has been neglected and Newry has it all. Maybe they will cut the grass better if they were supplied with the fancy Toys that the Shamrocks guys get thrown to them every year. Also, I think it's about time that the county board gets a share of the shop from championship matches which the shamrocks make a fortune from.  If you are gonna charge £1.50 for a coffee, at least make it half decent. It's bad enough they are claiming squatters' rights on a pitch that was left for the Gaels of Newry. I remember the Bosco playing games there until the Rocks tooks over. Bosco are playing in a council pitch as are the Mitchells which is soon to be part of a motorway.

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on January 04, 2022, 02:39:16 PM

We haven't had a regular from Newry since Damien Rafferty, McGovern is choosing soccer so we have lost him.

I am fully aware of the Newcastle saga and the clowns that messed up the deal.  But I do think that Newcastle has been neglected and Newry has it all. Maybe they will cut the grass better if they were supplied with the fancy Toys that the Shamrocks guys get thrown to them every year. Also, I think it's about time that the county board gets a share of the shop from championship matches which the shamrocks make a fortune from.  If you are gonna charge £1.50 for a coffee, at least make it half decent. It's bad enough they are claiming squatters' rights on a pitch that was left for the Gaels of Newry. I remember the Bosco playing games there until the Rocks tooks over. Bosco are playing in a council pitch as are the Mitchells which is soon to be part of a motorway.
To quote yourself from earlier.""Jesus, who got out of the wrong side of the bed today."".Have you been in bed since your last post before this morning,Dec16th? ;D ;D

Truth hurts

Will the game be streamed on Friday night? It will take over 2 and half hours to get there so I cant see many making the 7.30pm throw-in.

lumpitin

Saval and rostrevor spotted Sunday morning on my walk in kilbroney. The teams must be in for a big season

knockitdown

Quote from: lumpitin on January 05, 2022, 01:59:00 PM
Saval and rostrevor spotted Sunday morning on my walk in kilbroney. The teams must be in for a big season

Not from either of these clubs but hardly strange to start training in January.