Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Rostrevor or Bryansford playing intermediate next year then, as division 1 clubs whichever one it is will surely be looking a run in Ulster IFC.
The difference in intensity and quality in the L'Island v B'Ford compared to RGU v Clonduff seemed vast, though that's harder to judge when watching a (dodgy) stream.
Clonduff played some nice football, the O'Hagans and Arthur McConville all excellent. Arthur the top 'traditional' full forward in Down maybe? RGU were good too, a year in division 1 should see them even more competitive in next year's SFC.
Great result for Saul, getting another go at senior football next year will bring them on.
Great win for Drumgath too, Liatriom well fancied so will Drumgath be the dark horses and make up for last year's defeat?
Kilcoo doing what they do, but maybe looking slightly more vulnerable and the remaining teams will be boosted by how Carryduff pushed them.
Enjoyable stuff anyway, credit to all the teams and players for the efforts and skill on show. And still more to come....

Lloyd p

Hearing reports Castlewellan, Rostrevor and Loughinisland could all be in the hunt for new managers for next year already..

upandwin

Castlewellan not happy at getting promoted and winning a SFC game? Or is that management team moving on of their own accord? Seemed a fairly successful year for them...

L'Island have wasted a good group of players IMO over the last number of years. Makings of a really good team but always flopped on the bigger days. For a string of a few years they had Quarter Finals done and dusted but seemed to conspire to mess it up...now their team is ageing. Flynn and Mason entering the latter stages of their careers and Dan hasn't loads of time left either I wouldn't think...have the got anything coming through at Minor or 21 level?

Rostrevor are in real trouble...they just seem to be going from bad to worse. Have a few good lads who want to give everything for the jersey and then they have a vast majority who don't seem to care one bit what happens the club. From what I've seen this year they have shown no heart, no passion and no leadership on or off the field. The great Pete McGrath surely won't stay on another year but who will take them? Can't see anyone massively dying to take them other than the allure of an Intermediate championship and Ulster run, they'll be getting spanked every week in Div1 and with 12 teams in the league next year they would do very very well to finish 3rd bottom...sad times for the Super Reds

Mourne Red

Quote from: upandwin on October 11, 2021, 08:06:58 AM
Castlewellan not happy at getting promoted and winning a SFC game? Or is that management team moving on of their own accord? Seemed a fairly successful year for them...

L'Island have wasted a good group of players IMO over the last number of years. Makings of a really good team but always flopped on the bigger days. For a string of a few years they had Quarter Finals done and dusted but seemed to conspire to mess it up...now their team is ageing. Flynn and Mason entering the latter stages of their careers and Dan hasn't loads of time left either I wouldn't think...have the got anything coming through at Minor or 21 level?

Rostrevor are in real trouble...they just seem to be going from bad to worse. Have a few good lads who want to give everything for the jersey and then they have a vast majority who don't seem to care one bit what happens the club. From what I've seen this year they have shown no heart, no passion and no leadership on or off the field. The great Pete McGrath surely won't stay on another year but who will take them? Can't see anyone massively dying to take them other than the allure of an Intermediate championship and Ulster run, they'll be getting spanked every week in Div1 and with 12 teams in the league next year they would do very very well to finish 3rd bottom...sad times for the Super Reds

Completely off the mark about Loughinisland.. We had 3 players over 30 playing in championship hardly an ageing team and Flynn and Mason are both only 28 so just coming into their Prime as footballers both physically and experience wise.. We've good young players coming through who will need to fill out physically over the winter, been hard for them to do with gyms being closed for near a full 18months with COVID so expecting 18-20 year olds  to take the team forward is a bit much..  but if they get in it over the winter period we will be in good stead for next season

Godsown

Quote from: SamFever on October 11, 2021, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on October 11, 2021, 12:12:49 PM

Completely off the mark about Loughinisland.. We had 3 players over 30 playing in championship hardly an ageing team and Flynn and Mason are both only 28 so just coming into their Prime as footballers both physically and experience wise.. We've good young players coming through who will need to fill out physically over the winter, been hard for them to do with gyms being closed for near a full 18months with COVID so expecting 18-20 year olds  to take the team forward is a bit much..  but if they get in it over the winter period we will be in good stead for next season
Is Jody Gormley away?

?? Saul maybe. Vacancy there I believe

knockitdown

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 28, 2021, 09:24:58 AM
Quote from: upandwin on September 28, 2021, 09:16:58 AM
Some draw last night...who in the world could have foreseen that we'd get drawn with Clonduff? That'll be the end of the road for our lads surely...in fairness we are miles off Burren and Kilcoo so it makes no odds whether we play Clonduff now or a better team later as there's a big gulf. Streamed the Burren game last night and I fancy them to win the whole thing. Two easy fixtures has given them a chance to give lots of lads plenty of football and not have to risk any injured players like Fegan and Toner. Liam Kerr and Danny Magill are different gravy. Kilcoo will be worried about Burren IMO...The rest of the teams in the county are a side act...County board will surely keep Kilcoo and Burren apart in the semi finals hoping for a showpiece event.

Not much excitement other than our game this wkend. Should be a good crowd there on Sunday night. Fancy Mayobridge to do enough against Bredagh, they'll win by 2/3 pulling up. Castlewellan will fancy their chances against Glenn but that game will be close and I think Glenn will edge it. Carryduff and Longstone will be tight as well but I think Carryduff will see it through.

Thats correct the CCC will fix the draw to ensure Kilcoo play Burren in the final ::)

;D

knockitdown

JFC Semis
Dundrum V Drumaness in Liatroim Friday 22nd @ 7.15
East belfast V The Finn in Downpatrick Friday 22nd @ 7.15

IFC Semis
Drumgath V An Riocht in Ballymartin Friday 22nd @ 7.15
Annaclone V Darragh Cross in Kilcoo Saturday 23rd @ 6

SFC Semis
Kilcoo v Ballyholland in Newry Sunday 24th @ 3
Conduff v Burren in Newry Sunday 24th @ 7.15

Lloyd p

Quote from: SamFever on October 11, 2021, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on October 11, 2021, 12:12:49 PM

Is Jody Gormley away?

Yes, confirmed last night.

Truth hurts

Clonduff looked good on Sunday and I expect them to beat Burren. Burren looked good on Sunday in the first half but Mayobridge will be kicking themselves with some wayward shooting. I think Clonduff forwards will be a lot more clinical and a Kilcoo v Clonduff final will certainly be a tasty affair.
Darragh should now win the intermediate after Liatriom being ousted. Liatroim were riddled with injuries and if they are going to improve in football they will need to choose hurling or football. It's not doing the players any good.
The Fin are strong favourites for the junior and I expect the 3 championships to come to the East in the next few weeks.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 12, 2021, 09:04:49 AM
Clonduff looked good on Sunday and I expect them to beat Burren. Burren looked good on Sunday in the first half but Mayobridge will be kicking themselves with some wayward shooting. I think Clonduff forwards will be a lot more clinical and a Kilcoo v Clonduff final will certainly be a tasty affair.
Darragh should now win the intermediate after Liatriom being ousted. Liatroim were riddled with injuries and if they are going to improve in football they will need to choose hurling or football. It's not doing the players any good.
The Fin are strong favourites for the junior and I expect the 3 championships to come to the East in the next few weeks.

Have to agree with what you say about Mayobridge kicking themselves, some really poor shot selections and maybe a lack of killer instinct cost them big time. Clonduff looked very good in killing off the RGU challenge and look to have more clinical forwards than 'Bridge so it makes for another potentially excellent game.
While I see your point about Liatriom players being stretched too thinly, it would be sad to see them give up on one of the codes as there are so many talented players there in both codes. It's a job for the county board to protect these dying breeds through scheduling. Not an easy task but they need to try something. Drumgath had a very good win and will be full of confidence now so I wouldn't write them off just yet either.
The junior looks to be sewn up, with a lack of quality this year compared to previous years. With Bright, St Paul's and Dromara all division 4 clubs this year but playing intermediate, it has taken the competition out of it. And with the Finn likely to be playing intermediate next year too, it'll leave probably Bosco to walk through it. I can't see them beating St John's but if that did happen, that would be a div 2 team against div 4 teams next year. While the restructuring and relegation play off system has obviously helped those other clubs play at a higher level, it is detrimental to the competition levels of the JFC. Though I admit I don't see an obvious solution there either. I suppose that brings us back to reserve teams from the bigger clubs entering it, as used to be the case.

Nanderson

Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 12, 2021, 09:29:26 AM

Have to agree with what you say about Mayobridge kicking themselves, some really poor shot selections and maybe a lack of killer instinct cost them big time. Clonduff looked very good in killing off the RGU challenge and look to have more clinical forwards than 'Bridge so it makes for another potentially excellent game.
While I see your point about Liatriom players being stretched too thinly, it would be sad to see them give up on one of the codes as there are so many talented players there in both codes. It's a job for the county board to protect these dying breeds through scheduling. Not an easy task but they need to try something. Drumgath had a very good win and will be full of confidence now so I wouldn't write them off just yet either.
The junior looks to be sewn up, with a lack of quality this year compared to previous years. With Bright, St Paul's and Dromara all division 4 clubs this year but playing intermediate, it has taken the competition out of it. And with the Finn likely to be playing intermediate next year too, it'll leave probably Bosco to walk through it. I can't see them beating St John's but if that did happen, that would be a div 2 team against div 4 teams next year. While the restructuring and relegation play off system has obviously helped those other clubs play at a higher level, it is detrimental to the competition levels of the JFC. Though I admit I don't see an obvious solution there either. I suppose that brings us back to reserve teams from the bigger clubs entering it, as used to be the case.
Relegation to junior championship is between bosco and Dromara

upandwin

Some draw last night...who in the world could have foreseen that we'd get drawn with Clonduff? That'll be the end of the road for our lads surely...in fairness we are miles off Burren and Kilcoo so it makes no odds whether we play Clonduff now or a better team later as there's a big gulf. Streamed the Burren game last night and I fancy them to win the whole thing. Two easy fixtures has given them a chance to give lots of lads plenty of football and not have to risk any injured players like Fegan and Toner. Liam Kerr and Danny Magill are different gravy. Kilcoo will be worried about Burren IMO...The rest of the teams in the county are a side act...County board will surely keep Kilcoo and Burren apart in the semi finals hoping for a showpiece event.

Not much excitement other than our game this wkend. Should be a good crowd there on Sunday night. Fancy Mayobridge to do enough against Bredagh, they'll win by 2/3 pulling up. Castlewellan will fancy their chances against Glenn but that game will be close and I think Glenn will edge it. Carryduff and Longstone will be tight as well but I think Carryduff will see it through.

Clonduff won't beat Burren...Burren will win the full thing. Clonduff will bottle it this wkend against the first decent team they've faced. Kilcoo could get caught on the hop by the Harps...that'll be closer than people think

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Nanderson on October 12, 2021, 11:13:53 AM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 12, 2021, 09:29:26 AM

Relegation to junior championship is between bosco and Dromara

Apologies, my mistake. Though again I can't see Dromara being troubled by any of the other sides if they are the team relegated given they only lost to Bright in the league this year.

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on October 12, 2021, 11:16:29 AM

Kilcoo will win Frank and win the Ulster title again, whoever wins in Derry and Tyrone will party for a week. There is nothing in Armagh or Monaghan to trouble Kilcoo either .
Clonduff won't beat Burren...Burren will win the full thing. Clonduff will bottle it this wkend against the first decent team they've faced. Kilcoo could get caught on the hop by the Harps...that'll be closer than people think

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 12, 2021, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: upandwin on October 12, 2021, 11:16:29 AM

Kilcoo will win Frank and win the Ulster title again, whoever wins in Derry and Tyrone will party for a week. There is nothing in Armagh or Monaghan to trouble Kilcoo either .

Bit early to write off all the other clubs in Ulster, especially given how strong Tyrone clubs are and how their SFC winners may well have All Ireland winners in their side to keep standards high and who will be hungry for even more success.