Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlin

Firstly, Ger Connery has been chairman and vice chairman of the East Down Board for last number of years so if you don't know him, you know very little about Down GAA.
Secondly, fair play to the committee appointing the next county manager for not leaking the names in the frame. However, time to make the appointment unless the man really has a focus on other matters.
Thirdly, two disappointing games yesterday but the strongest two teams have emerged for the final.
Ballyholland always play on the edge but yesterday they were well over it- and deserve to be called out for an over-aggressive approach. They play up that persecution complex and it doesn't serve them well- Kilcoo don't need a second invitation for a rumble and both sidelines deserve criticism for crossing the line. Bad role models for the many young supporters at the game.
Was so disappointed that the Yellas didn't make it over the line in the second game. They mightn't get a better chance with the current crop of senior players although their future is bright. The TV coverage and the commentators caught the shoulder-charge on Liam Kerr well; every single Burren man would have done the same and it was within the rules, unlike the John Small effort in the All Ireland semi-final. McCorry was out of order having a go at Sharvin at half-time and as some posters have noted, it does have an impact on referees.While Sharvin got that one right I think he was wrong to disallow the Clonduff goal so McCorry will think his half-time efforts paid off.
The final will be tight and Kerr is a huge loss; with Dabs back, momentum has swung to the Magpies.

rosskarr

Quote from: Caitlin on October 25, 2021, 08:40:13 PM
Firstly, Ger Connery has been chairman and vice chairman of the East Down Board for last number of years so if you don't know him, you know very little about Down GAA.
Secondly, fair play to the committee appointing the next county manager for not leaking the names in the frame. However, time to make the appointment unless the man really has a focus on other matters.
Thirdly, two disappointing games yesterday but the strongest two teams have emerged for the final.
Ballyholland always play on the edge but yesterday they were well over it- and deserve to be called out for an over-aggressive approach. They play up that persecution complex and it doesn't serve them well- Kilcoo don't need a second invitation for a rumble and both sidelines deserve criticism for crossing the line. Bad role models for the many young supporters at the game.
Was so disappointed that the Yellas didn't make it over the line in the second game. They mightn't get a better chance with the current crop of senior players although their future is bright. The TV coverage and the commentators caught the shoulder-charge on Liam Kerr well; every single Burren man would have done the same and it was within the rules, unlike the John Small effort in the All Ireland semi-final. McCorry was out of order having a go at Sharvin at half-time and as some posters have noted, it does have an impact on referees.While Sharvin got that one right I think he was wrong to disallow the Clonduff goal so McCorry will think his half-time efforts paid off.
The final will be tight and Kerr is a huge loss; with Dabs back, momentum has swung to the Magpies.
Burren to win it!On the subject of the TV coverage,it's good but they need some decent lead commentators as apart from Patsy the rest are poor.Some of the co-commentators would be better.

terrifictommy

The coverage isn't good, it's great. It's improved on last year and will get better again next year. It's great value plus there's a good bit of detail those people have to get before jumping into the hot seat. And they are amateurs, not paid thousands so perspective is needed.

6th sam

Quote from: terrifictommy on October 25, 2021, 09:43:51 PM
The coverage isn't good, it's great. It's improved on last year and will get better again next year. It's great value plus there's a good bit of detail those people have to get before jumping into the hot seat. And they are amateurs, not paid thousands so perspective is needed.
Totally agree , not perfect in terms of technical issues, but what a service. Thanks to all involved

urbangael

Who would actually want the down job. Limited ability in terms of talent and the 2 semi finals on Sunday would evidence that. The 40 or 50k a year is the real motivation and there in lies the problem whereby a mercenary will have no problem filling his pockets and moving on.

Smurfy123

PTC you go to games to watch quality players and some good football
What we were served on Sunday was terrible
2 terrible games
Don't get me started on that intermediate football
The Down manager has a job on his plate
Just over 8 weeks until the McKenna cup starts
News reports suggest Mickey Moran and Conleth Gilligan to be announced

Truth hurts

It has been a poor championship thus far at all levels. Probably the worst in a number of years. I really hope the county boar go back to intermediate and senior double header next year as they always increase the atmosphere. Apart from Oran Murdock there has been a poor emergence of midfielders in the championship too. No big men around.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: urbangael on October 26, 2021, 07:21:45 AM
Who would actually want the down job. Limited ability in terms of talent and the 2 semi finals on Sunday would evidence that. The 40 or 50k a year is the real motivation and there in lies the problem whereby a mercenary will have no problem filling his pockets and moving on.

Similar to most other county managers then. Any man taking the money will want to show something in return and enhance their reputation along the way, or at the very least, not damage it.

lumpitin

there is no mckenna cup this year.

manwithnoplan

Possibly the lack of a 'proper' league has led to a slightly lackluster championship. Many teams with nothing to play for, for most of the year then trying to step up and hit championship pace just hasn't happened for the most part unfortunately. Hard to fault the players and management as most teams know they aren't going to win their respective championships, and so getting the motivation levels and in turn the standard of preparation from the players to where it usually is has maybe been more difficult. Usually these teams have had a relegation/promotion battle and look to the championship to maybe take a scalp and finish the year having rocked someone's boat a little. Plus the odd bit of covid disruption to league games and training sessions may have had an impact. I wouldn't panic and see it as the death of football in Down, maybe just a result of the times we are currently in. Just my thoughts on it anyway....

Truth hurts

Our county board needs to be announcing this week, most other counties are back in the gym and our boys have not even met yet. It's a shambles with around 10 weeks left to the return of the intercounty season. How can the new management select a good panel in that timeframe, it's becoming really frustrating as a Down fan to see this drawn-out crap and silence from our hierarchy?
Yes, fair play to the selection committee for not releasing any information but come on people this is getting worrying. It cannot take this long to get someone in place and what is worrying me now is that they do not have anyone good enough interested in the role. It is looking like that. I fear for us in next years league.

lumpitin

Rostrevor announced pete mcgrath gone. Rumours that he could be going to saul. Heard Niall mcaleenan linked with rostrevor job. John Kennedy is supposedly heading back to glenn to partner in with there setup.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 26, 2021, 09:18:01 AM
Our county board needs to be announcing this week, most other counties are back in the gym and our boys have not even met yet. It's a shambles with around 10 weeks left to the return of the intercounty season. How can the new management select a good panel in that timeframe, it's becoming really frustrating as a Down fan to see this drawn-out crap and silence from our hierarchy?
Yes, fair play to the selection committee for not releasing any information but come on people this is getting worrying. It cannot take this long to get someone in place and what is worrying me now is that they do not have anyone good enough interested in the role. It is looking like that. I fear for us in next years league.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect any player who has been on the panel this last few years, or who plays division 1 club football, to be fit to go to the gym and figure out what to do himself for a couple of weeks. Hardly the end of the world.

terrifictommy

But if that chosen manager is involved still in club championship it would be remiss of anyone to announce it. It wouldn't be fair on that club.
And I don't think it'll be Mickey Moran, I thought he is retiring.

Truth hurts

I don't care who it is but they should be announced asap, there should be a core panel but I am sure there will be a few trials to see who are close enough. Who do you think will be making the step up who was not involved in Tallys squad.
Jerome, Ryan, Shealan Johnston, Micheal Rooney
Oran Murdock, Paddy McCarthy
Campbell from Ballyholand
Eamon Brown, Tom Brown, Jamie O'Hagan
Adam Lynch, Donach McAleenan
Shane Annett,  Smyth
Ronan Beatty
McKibben from the town
Rory Mason
Ruari O'Hare
Daniel Eastwood