The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I'm surprised to be honest and the scale and the sheer acceptance of it. If it was a 'cricket' problem would it be prevalent amongst the other counties/boards? Maybe it is, but I just think theyd be shouting it from the rooftops if it was?

Possibly some of yis won't know what we're talking about, heres a brief synopsis. Theres an avalanche of stuff online it you want to read more.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-59316567

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on November 18, 2021, 09:42:20 AM
I'm surprised to be honest and the scale and the sheer acceptance of it. If it was a 'cricket' problem would it be prevalent amongst the other counties/boards? Maybe it is, but I just think theyd be shouting it from the rooftops if it was?

Using the P word in the Leeds Bradford area would be common enough I'd have thought? The fact that they have different leagues and have done so for over 40 years would be a red flag alone, plus proportionally the amount playing the game from south Asia not represented on Yorkshire cricket club should be another...

A very good mate of mine, who lived outside Leeds and whose kids play cricket, one is even a sports reporter would say that 'banter' was going on for years

NI team was a cold house, some would say its still a cold house for nationalist kids, though I know from friends whose kids are involved that its not the case from what they see.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

I'd say using the P word as you call it is common enough everywhere and the ethnic make up of Leeds/Bradford doesn't/shouldn't make the local cricket county team more likely to foster racism than say Lancashire/Durham or anywhere for that matter.

Are football clubs in the area thought to be racist also

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on November 18, 2021, 10:40:03 AM
I'd say using the P word as you call it is common enough everywhere and the ethnic make up of Leeds/Bradford doesn't/shouldn't make the local cricket county team more likely to foster racism than say Lancashire/Durham or anywhere for that matter.

Are football clubs in the area thought to be racist also

I would say there are plenty clubs would have an element of being racist, its just not been brought forward to the attention of the people that look after it, Lancashire and Durham will no doubt be under the spotlight, the problem here was Yorkshire club, a bit like Boris didn't feel the need to say sorry for any wrong doing, that's why it has blown up in their faces!

They had a chance to deal with it and decided not too, and has brought the sport into disrepute. This will run for a while and the likes of Vaughan who's had a great career outside of cricket, will lose his job in media
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

Wasnt prince Harry fond of the p word amongst others when he was in the army yet the glipe seems to want to accuse the rest of his family as being racist.

GiveItToTheShooters

Your man has just been caught being racist himself. Looking forward to the MPs convening and him crying about that just as quickly.....

Boycey

Ah sure that makes the whole thing alright then..

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 09:54:39 AM

Using the P word in the Leeds Bradford area would be common enough I'd have thought? The fact that they have different leagues and have done so for over 40 years would be a red flag alone, plus proportionally the amount playing the game from south Asia not represented on Yorkshire cricket club should be another...

A very good mate of mine, who lived outside Leeds and whose kids play cricket, one is even a sports reporter would say that 'banter' was going on for years

NI team was a cold house, some would say its still a cold house for nationalist kids, though I know from friends whose kids are involved that its not the case from what they see.
Nationalists have played for, and managed, NI for 100 years.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Boycey on November 18, 2021, 05:29:27 PM

It makes him look like a tit though. You think his advisors would have made sure his social media history was squeaky clean.

michaelg

Quote from: michaelg on November 18, 2021, 06:12:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 09:54:39 AM

Nationalists have played for, and managed, NI for 100 years.  The 2 are not really comparable.  Problems related to the NI team have stemmed from some of the wankers who have followed the team, particularly during the Troubles.  The IFA put successful measures in place which drove out the sectarian chants at WP.  The Yorkshire Cricket Board took no action.

Milltown Row2

I'm going back years Michaelg, a period where going to Windsor was not a great place to be if you were watching your nationalist son play for NI, Rogan springs to mind..  as I said in my earlier post, my good friend and a club mate of mine, his son is on the NI youth academy being looked after, playing for Linfield recently as a 16 year old, they have nothing but good things to say!

Boycey

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 18, 2021, 06:15:36 PM

It makes him look like a tit though. You think his advisors would have made sure his social media history was squeaky clean.

Yeah agreed it puts him on the spot.... Doesn't let Yorkshire off the hook for their conduct in any way though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on November 18, 2021, 07:06:28 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 18, 2021, 06:15:36 PM

Yeah agreed it puts him on the spot.... Doesn't let Yorkshire off the hook for their conduct in any way though.

He's foolish as was Vaughan, which one was 'banter' and which one was racist?

Boycey

Jaysis Milltown have ya read the whole background to it or are ya just commenting on the titbits in the media...

I'd have been uneasy with the witch-hunt on the people Rafiq named even before the revelation today but whether Rafiq)Vaughan/Bumble/Ballance or even the lad with the dog are racist doesn't excuse Yorkshire in any shape or form

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 18, 2021, 11:53:28 AM
Wasnt prince Harry fond of the p word amongst others when he was in the army yet the glipe seems to want to accuse the rest of his family as being racist.

Doesn't that give it more credence though? I would imagine most people's views are heavily influenced by the environment they grew up in. It's only when they start to branch out in the world, that a lot of people get the chance to grow their understanding of 'others'. I would imagine Harry would have had a very sheltered experience growing up and if he was using language like that as an adolescent, it's because
- He was accustomed to hearing similar
- It was never called out

Not following this cricket story in detail, however similar systemic issues have been called out at Collingwood AFL club, starting with former player Heritier Lumumba which led to an independent report being carried out in the entire club.
Sometimes racism is explicit, more often it is vague, slight references that when called out individually don't seem like much. But often these comments reveal the true thoughts.
Sometimes a big deal needs to be made to get real change. I don't think we need to hang all the people named, but understand that when true giants of a club/team/organisation are acting in this manner, that is where the change needs to start. It shouldn't be about - "well this guy also said something wrong" or "which one was worse"

As with the Collingwood case, I'm sure if any of the other cricket teams / AFL teams / soccer clubs had a genuine look they would find genuine areas to improve. The problem is, that to admit that would lead to a pile on from people that want blood (usually headlines)
Hasta la victoria siempre