TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: paco on February 04, 2011, 12:46:42 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2011, 12:44:50 PM
I watched Treme last week, 10 episodes drama set in New Orleans, a few months after hurricane Katrina.
Co-written by the Wire /Homicide lad, David Simon.
Usual suspects as the main actors, Bunk and Lester from the Wire, Kay from Homicide and even a drop-in part for Prez.

Excellant stuff, along with a pulsating soundtrack.

Is that the one with John Goodman in it? Seen it advertised on Sky HD, looked good but I forgot when it's on  :-\

has treme started yet on sky atlantic?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

Saw an ad briefly in the Herald last night advertising a show based on Trailer Park Boys shortly in Dublin. Will have to look into it better later as hopefully Bubbles, Julian, Lahy and Co are coming to town.

Finishing up season 2 of Sons of Anarchy and really enjoying it. Dexter season 4 lined up to watch afterwords.

Celt_Man

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 10, 2011, 11:19:40 AM
Quote from: paco on February 04, 2011, 12:46:42 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2011, 12:44:50 PM
I watched Treme last week, 10 episodes drama set in New Orleans, a few months after hurricane Katrina.
Co-written by the Wire /Homicide lad, David Simon.
Usual suspects as the main actors, Bunk and Lester from the Wire, Kay from Homicide and even a drop-in part for Prez.

Excellant stuff, along with a pulsating soundtrack.

Is that the one with John Goodman in it? Seen it advertised on Sky HD, looked good but I forgot when it's on  :-\

has treme started yet on sky atlantic?

Nope, its starting on Friday the 18th
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 10, 2011, 10:33:31 AM
Am watching a Danish Crime series called Forbrydelsen (translates as The Killing) at the moment; very highly recommended. 

I think it's showing on BBC3 or 4 on Saturday nights too.  For those who don't like subtitles it's being remade by AMC in the US at present too - they're the folk who make Mad Men.  The (relatively) good news is that AMC have also decided that the great US tv-watching public will be able to handle a series set in a foreign land that isn't about US-folk saving the world - the series will be set in Denmark with Danish characters.  I think they've changed the name of the lead detective from Sarah Lund to Sarah Linden - who decides these things?
By chance I saw the 3rd episode on BBC4, stopped watching after 5 minutes, downloaded the whole series and watched it from the beginning over a few days
The rule of thumb is, the original subtitled drama is the real McCoy.
It is an excellent contrived smoke and mirrors investigation, 20 episodes for the 20 days of the investigation.

The Real Laoislad

Blue Bloods is excellent,have watched 14 episodes of it over the past few days.
Hopefully it will be something that runs for a number of seasons.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

paco

Not really sure where else to post this, what website would be most recommended for downloading films/TV shows? A friend recommended piratebay.org, is it any use?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: paco on February 13, 2011, 12:52:51 PM
Not really sure where else to post this, what website would be most recommended for downloading films/TV shows? A friend recommended piratebay.org, is it any use?

Its the only site I use for downloading.
Remember you have to also have software such as uTorrent to download the content from piratebay.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bloodybreakball

really laoisLad? i liked the second episode on sky atlantic more than the first episode but i thought that it was a wee bit like a cross between law and order (which is very, very good) and brothers and sisters (which is very very bad) in the way that they all sit around the table talking shit. i think your man donnie whalberg is good but im not sure abt all this secret service stuff tht the rookie brother is involved in,.

paco

Cheers LL, in the process of downloading that uTorrent thing here now. I really liked Blue Bloods as well, although I agree that the dinner table scenes are a bit unnecessary. Only seen the first 2 episodes but you get the impression that it's gonna be a part of every episode for the rest of the series.

bennydorano

Having watched the first 2 episodes of blue bloods I get the feeling it's cliched, cheesy shite.  I'm willing to give it another episode or two before I pull the plug thou.

trileacman

The accents in boardwalk empire are cat.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on February 13, 2011, 03:56:15 PM
Having watched the first 2 episodes of blue bloods I get the feeling it's cliched, cheesy shite.  I'm willing to give it another episode or two before I pull the plug thou.
Don't bother.
Do the dishes instead.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2011, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 10, 2011, 10:33:31 AM
Am watching a Danish Crime series called Forbrydelsen (translates as The Killing) at the moment; very highly recommended. 

I think it's showing on BBC3 or 4 on Saturday nights too.  For those who don't like subtitles it's being remade by AMC in the US at present too - they're the folk who make Mad Men.  The (relatively) good news is that AMC have also decided that the great US tv-watching public will be able to handle a series set in a foreign land that isn't about US-folk saving the world - the series will be set in Denmark with Danish characters.  I think they've changed the name of the lead detective from Sarah Lund to Sarah Linden - who decides these things?
By chance I saw the 3rd episode on BBC4, stopped watching after 5 minutes, downloaded the whole series and watched it from the beginning over a few days
The rule of thumb is, the original subtitled drama is the real McCoy.
It is an excellent contrived smoke and mirrors investigation, 20 episodes for the 20 days of the investigation.

I'm only on Day-8; the good news is there's a second series - if you need rapidshare links, drop me a PM.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Canalman

1st season of Breaking Bad on sale at HMV now for E15. Bought it at weekend and really looking forward to it. Has had great reviews.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Canalman on February 14, 2011, 11:53:36 AM
1st season of Breaking Bad on sale at HMV now for E15. Bought it at weekend and really looking forward to it. Has had great reviews.
yeah first series is great, realy dark comedy, must get around to the second series
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either