TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

lol. do you know me?! nah not usually my form, thought i could sneak such a pressie in just the once. didnt read like it would be her cup of tea. may just buy it for meself so, ta

gerrykeegan

The first couple of episodes are very violent blood everywhere, my misses wasnt overly impressed, but once we got past that bit she really enjoys it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Hardy

Unfortunately, I couldn't get mine past the second episode. I think she's still a little worried that I think it's the greatest series ever. Yesterday I couldn't find the hatchet.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on December 21, 2012, 02:22:10 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on December 21, 2012, 11:58:36 AM
Quote from: Hardy on December 21, 2012, 11:50:29 AM
Quote from: Minder on December 21, 2012, 10:52:05 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2012, 10:48:50 AM
Has anyone watched Breaking Bad? Want to get a box set for Christmas and just wondering what to get. That, Sons of Anarchary or Prison Break are on the list at the minute as I havent seen any of them but heard decent reviews.

Breaking Bad is as good a show as you will see.

It's the best TV series ever for me.

Really? Better than the Sopranos? If it comes that highly recommended I'll have to give it a gawk. How many series are there and is it finished?

Definitely. The Sopranos had been my No. 1. I haven't seen 24. I saw most of the first season of The Wire and, while I appreciate the reasons for the great reviews, it just didn't quite hit those highs for me. I've seen the first three episodes of Boardwalk Empire and, though I'll stick with it and am assured it improves, I see nothing so far to put it in the same league as the Sopranos or Breaking Bad. In both cases, one thing missing for me (so far) is characters you can identify and empathise with. Both the Sopranos and Breaking bad are brilliant on that score - they make you care about what happens to some awful low-lifes.

The thing that makes Breaking Bad so good, for me, is the imaginative storyline. The situations they set up are just the most inventive and tension-filled I've seen. The old "edge-of-the-seat" cliché applies big time. A number of episodes had me sitting up straight when they finished and just going "wow!" out loud. The only aspect in which it doesn't measure up to the Sopranos is humour. There is one solid gold comic character - Saul Goodman, brilliantly played by Bob Odenkirk - and he on his own is one of the best characters in any series, but overall there is much less humour in BB than in most good series.

There are five seasons. S5, billed as the final one, is halfway through, the final eight episodes coming out next summer.

Force yourself to watch the first two and a half series of the wire. You will be hooked by then with the finest two series of television still to come. You will find yourself going back over the first season again on completion to get a fresh perspective on it.

24 is a poor man's Homeland, chewing gum for the eyes.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ONeill

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 24, 2012, 11:01:56 AM
The first couple of episodes are very violent blood everywhere, my misses wasnt overly impressed, but once we got past that bit she really enjoys it.

The wife was the opposite - she loved it as much as I did.

I think it's the only series I've ever stuck with. I'd disagree about the lack of humour. I found some of the surreal scenarios Walt and Jesse found themselves in fairly funny. Smirkingly funny.

I'm still rooting for Walt.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

S1E1 of Sleeper Cell is starting on CBS Action tonight, any good, anyone recommend or not?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Corrie is getting a bit spicey at the mo lads, Tyrone would be having a bit of a thing with Fizz if his current chick (better looking, but nuts) would stop battering the bejaysus out of him, Kev Websters lezza daughter was having a lick and cuddle with her physio, kev non too pleased, but he can hardly talk as he had  a run at the same daughters shrink, but got knocked back.

Also Nick Tinsley (the third) has had a rattle at Davids chick after getting jilted at the alter by the one with the turn in her eye, who's been suckered in by Peter 'bad boy' Barlow who arrived back with Carla on tow, Carla had a bit of a fight with the one with the turn in her eye and had pissed back off stateside but arrived back unexpectedly and nearly caught Pete out.

And even Gail is getting a bit moist with that suave Nigel Havers lad who's already banged her ma, the rentaghost one and took off with her money.

It's all happening down Weatherfield way.

Canalman

Saw "Celebrity " Come Dine with Me last night...... 1st episode. Only recognized 2 of the "celebrities" Rosanna Davison and the actor Joe Rooney.......... Fr Damo in Father Ted (whom none of the other "celebrities" knew.) As for the other 3 hadn't a breeze.
Easy watching and the part which they played charades after dinner was hilarious. Expect to see it on youtube shortly.

5 Sams

Quote from: johnneycool on January 08, 2013, 04:02:07 PM
Corrie is getting a bit spicey at the mo lads, Tyrone would be having a bit of a thing with Fizz if his current chick (better looking, but nuts) would stop battering the bejaysus out of him, Kev Websters lezza daughter was having a lick and cuddle with her physio, kev non too pleased, but he can hardly talk as he had  a run at the same daughters shrink, but got knocked back.

Also Nick Tinsley (the third) has had a rattle at Davids chick after getting jilted at the alter by the one with the turn in her eye, who's been suckered in by Peter 'bad boy' Barlow who arrived back with Carla on tow, Carla had a bit of a fight with the one with the turn in her eye and had pissed back off stateside but arrived back unexpectedly and nearly caught Pete out.

And even Gail is getting a bit moist with that suave Nigel Havers lad who's already banged her ma, the rentaghost one and took off with her money.

;D ;D ;D Excelleny stuff Johnny....It would nearly make me watch it again. Is thon yoke Rosie Webster still in it??
The Aristocrat Years

johnneycool

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 08, 2013, 04:34:10 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 08, 2013, 04:02:07 PM

;D ;D ;D Excelleny stuff Johnny....It would nearly make me watch it again. Is thon yoke Rosie Webster still in it??

Nah Rosie went down to London to pursue a modelling or TV career, not sure which. Se left behind the dumb lad, jason Grimshaw who's now tipping into the Rovers owner who used to be in East enders, Cyndy AKA Stella.

BennyHarp

On the advice of a few people on here, I've just finished the first series of Breaking Bad. Great stuff altogether! Already ordered series 2 and 3.
That was never a square ball!!

ziggy90

Anyone watch Carnivale? I missed the first episode and was wondering if it's worth catching up.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Minder

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 09, 2013, 09:39:28 PM
On the advice of a few people on here, I've just finished the first series of Breaking Bad. Great stuff altogether! Already ordered series 2 and 3.

Sign up for Netflix, if it suits, series 1-5 on it, they do a free 30 day trial. You could fly though it all in a month.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ballinaman

Just started watching Oz, old HBO series...anyone seen it? Worth sticking with?