Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old timers

Quote from: NAG1 on January 08, 2018, 02:37:41 PM
Quote from: old timers on January 06, 2018, 03:30:19 PM
Anyone at the Antrim hurling match today. Think the Antrim management team had a howler today in the McGurk cup.  No respect given to the competition whatsoever IMO.  Players out there that shouldn't have been. So many not even match fit let alone up to any standard.  I'm an Antrim supporter all my life and feel so disheartened after watching that.  Hoped that the Tipperary influence would have brought about some change.  Some strange decisions today but none more so than subbing the sub.  Embarrassing

It is not a competition worth respecting, that being said if the county had not got a decent plan knowing their fixture schedule they should not have entered the competition.

If they only had a panel capable of playing one game a weekend then fair enough but plan and sort your schedule accordingly.

I think the Mcgurk family might beg to differ on it being a competition worth respecting but your entitled to your opinion. All I would say is that surely management (all 4 of them) and then Mr Sheedy should know before they start whether they have enough players. Whether their uni players can't then play for County, and how far the panel can be stretched taking into consideration injuries and those not available. Surely that's the basics of managing an U12 team let alone a "County" squad.  In my day it was known as "common sense" IMO

Milltown Row2

So what's your beef old timer? I was at the Jordanstown game and they played a different team against Tyrone and saved players for the Dublin game.. they used subs as well!  As a manager and a player I'd have much preferred to play competitive games with a combination different squad players in different positions to see who can cut it..

I don't think playing the games they have will impact negatively for the up and coming league, do you?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

i would like to think its a positive that we can field two different team on two days in a row. The fact we can get near 40 lads out playing hurling in the first weekend in January is more of a positive than anything else. Add to that the U21 team that played against UU as well the previous week and its good to see a different mix of lads wanting to play for Antrim.

Yes its a hectic schedule but playing games is of more benefit that training indoors all the time.

The management have done a good job and are 4 very intelligent hurling men. If they wanted this schedule then they clearly knew they would be able to field in it.
hurl like f**k boi!

old timers

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 09, 2018, 08:30:17 AM
i would like to think its a positive that we can field two different team on two days in a row. The fact we can get near 40 lads out playing hurling in the first weekend in January is more of a positive than anything else. Add to that the U21 team that played against UU as well the previous week and its good to see a different mix of lads wanting to play for Antrim.

Yes its a hectic schedule but playing games is of more benefit that training indoors all the time.

The management have done a good job and are 4 very intelligent hurling men. If they wanted this schedule then they clearly knew they would be able to field in it.

Unfortunately DR a lot of those players last Saturday in the McGurk cup I don't think had trained anywhere for Antrim or anyone else and as said others were asked to come back just to play in the match so the numbers weren't there.  As for the "intelligent men". I hope for Antrim hurling that your right.  I still have bad memories of Croke Park and Carlow.  And almost getting beat by Armagh😪😢. Yes promotion was a massive achievement so here's hoping things are on the up

Na Glinntí Glasa

aw im under no illusions that alot of the lads had barely trained but in truth they pulled Antrim out of a hole no doubt.

Ive seen a lot of bad bad days following Antrim esp in Croke Park so im wary of false dawns but im hopefully this management and players can give us some better days. It can only getting better!
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

Was down at Dublin match
Hate to be negative because the lads tried very hard
Same old same old Imm afraid
Full back line real shaky and not attacking the ball
No method in how to create some space up front
And ball coming in to high and slow
Young Maskey did ok but very one sided
Rocky not a CHB
Lots of stuff you could single out but fair dues to the lads for their efforts
Sheedy was there so maybe he can address some things that could be fixed
Gonna be a long haul in 1B
Christy ring our level ATM
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 09, 2018, 07:22:35 PM
Was down at Dublin match
Hate to be negative because the lads tried very hard
Same old same old Imm afraid
Full back line real shaky and not attacking the ball
No method in how to create some space up front
And ball coming in to high and slow
Young Maskey did ok but very one sided
Rocky not a CHB
Lots of stuff you could single out but fair dues to the lads for their efforts
Sheedy was there so maybe he can address some things that could be fixed
Gonna be a long haul in 1B
Christy ring our level ATM

A lot of stuff you have said I've seen day in day out at senior club level between competitive teams..

Given time and space against the weaker teams it looks good, low cross field passes, support play, picking out the runner, and creating goal opportunities! While in defence they get the hooks and blocks in while fielding high balls!

Now take that a notch with your best 25 who are going up against a seasoned Dublin team then that's were the mistakes happen, rushed passes, hurried shots, wrong options, missed hooks and blocks!

Our lads need to be playing at a higher level with every club game, every year, raise our club level and it will bring up our county level and better more options..

Running over old ground and I'm sure the lads know what they are on about but are dealing with the here and now.. the county need to address bigger issues with competitive hurling at a higher level from under 10 up! 

Unfortunately it's clubs like Dunloy Loughgiel and Cushendall who keep the standard high within the clubs, not good enough collectively.. the hardest game Cuala have had this past 2 years has been against other Dublin clubs!

Need to look at the bigger picture instead of making sure our own wee Empire is doing ok
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Last sentence is bang on MR. GAA by its very nature is parochial but there comes a time when being the best in your own area isn't good enough.

old timers

TB and MR you r both correct although unfortunately it's not the only problem
antrim face but it is an age old one.  It is so frustrating when all we want is for Antrim to improve to a level that we can all take a bit of pride in as a County.  Is Sheedy the answer? I don't think he can give the time to make a real impact and the others are just plodding along IMO.  But you never know

Na Glinntí Glasa

Any one go to the game on sat night up at the Dub?

seemed like an entertaining game following it on twitter.
hurl like f**k boi!

old timers

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 15, 2018, 10:41:49 AM
Any one go to the game on sat night up at the Dub?

seemed like an entertaining game following it on twitter.

Didn't get myself but having been at all the other McGurk matches I couldn't understand some of the team selection.? From What was said on this forum the competition wasn't of any real interest/benefit to Antrim hence the drafting in of so many new and some older players.  That taken into account I couldn't understand what happened with young Ed McQuillan (I think his name) He had played the previous matches to get to the final and did well IMO but didn't even get a run out on Saturday nite.  According to reports.  ? ?  Anyone help with that.  Or where Big Carson was or young Murphy who both were scoring well in the competition?   Just wondering

breakingball

anyone in the know have any idea when fixtures will be out for 2018?

let it fly

Any word of possible line ups for first league game?

MoChara

Championship is drew this tuesday haven't heard anything about league yet

ciaran1988

Bookmakers have use as minus 23 underdogs this weekend vs Galway surely we won't get a hammering like that. Galway only just back from a team holiday with not much match practice and will surely name a experimental side. I would be really disappointed if the lads came back home beat my 20 odd points