American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: Minder on November 25, 2008, 12:20:23 PM
Marino would have played 16 games Juice. 16 Game season was introduced in late 70's (barring strike years obviously)

1978 was the first 16 game season....

Gabriel_Hurl

thejuice

:o No way, A year! My God, it definately doesnt seem half that time.

That was awful. I thought he was a great player, one of the best and feared secondary players in the league and he was only getting started.

RIP Sean
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

MaroonAndWhite

It seems to be a Thanksgiving tradition that the Lions are on Sky Sports.... :'(
The 13 yards punt was particularly comical. If Rod Marinelli is not gone after this, I dunno what else he can do to top this shite!

Seahawks - Cowboys could be a no-contest too.

Hope the late game makes up for it......

thejuice

There is some talented players in Detroit. In Calvin Johnson at least. At least getting rid of Matt Millen was a step in the right direction. They have 3 of the top 33 draft picks next year. They just need to clear the decks of the players who arent good enough and the coaches that just arent cutting it. I'd really like to see the Lions go places, its hard to watch teams get badly beaten so often.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: thejuice on November 27, 2008, 09:25:28 PM
There is some talented players in Detroit. In Calvin Johnson at least. At least getting rid of Matt Millen was a step in the right direction. They have 3 of the top 33 draft picks next year. They just need to clear the decks of the players who arent good enough and the coaches that just arent cutting it. I'd really like to see the Lions go places, its hard to watch teams get badly beaten so often.

They have had the top picks for many years now = not good. The upper management needs to pick lineman, worst O-line in the league. Doesn't matter if you have guys on the outside who run sub 4.4, if no one can protect your QB its over before it starts. Look for a whole new coaching staff for both sides of the ball.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

thejuice

well that was the problem under mllen they kept picking WR's, in the belief that John Kitna would be good once he had targets. But as you say. Getting the O-line right first is what they should have done and now they must do. Albert Hainesworth was walking through them today.

Minder

Calvin Johnson has the potential to be as good as Randy Moss, his numbers are exceptional when you think of the offense he is playing in and the QB's that have been throwing him the ball, Kitna, Stanton, Orholsky & now an overweight Culpepper. I read earlier today that a Tampa Bay personel executive said most NFL teams would swap their two starting WR's for Calvin Johnson.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

MaroonAndWhite

Just give Johnson a 50/50 chance at a ball in the air and he'll do the business. But him apart......... An awful kick in the balls to be the supposed best/most valuable player in college football and end up in a rudderless shambles of an organisation like Detroit though. Hard to know where to statt with the improvements there.....its finger in the dam type stuff

Poor ol' Matt Hasselbeck is spending the night on his ass courtesy of the Cowboys......

Fair pressure on McNabb tonight in Phillie.......maybe given the Cards dislike of traveling east it might be an easier game but kits end of an era if he doesnt pull out a big game tonight

GalwayBayBoy

BURRESS SHOOTS HIMSELF IN THE LEG, ACCIDENTALLY

Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 11:05 a.m. EST

Multiple sources tell us that Giants receiver Plaxico Burress has shot himself in the leg.

Apparently, Burress was carrying a loaded gun.  And the gun went off.

The incident happened on Friday night/Saturday morning.  His condition currently isn't known.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com also is reporting this one, and he'll soon have a story up with additional details.

Though at this point the player's health and well being is the primary concern, what the hell was he doing with a loaded gun?

It also remains to be seen whether he faces charges for carrying the loaded gun, and whether he ultimately encounters scrutiny from the league for violating the Personal Conduct Policy.

UPDATE:  Glazer reports that Burress spent the night in the hospital, and that his injuries are not life threatening.  Per Glazer, the team is still gathering information regarding the incident.

MaroonAndWhite

Me thinks Tom Coughlin wont be aiming for his leg if he gets hold of the gun...... >:(

Even though he's plainly a jackass, if its serious enough to keep him out long term he will be a big loss

thejuice

What a dumbass. Giants passing game will be limited with out him. Why these guys need to be walking around with loaded guns i dont know. Was he out hunting?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: thejuice on November 29, 2008, 07:08:30 PM
What a dumbass. Giants passing game will be limited with out him. Why these guys need to be walking around with loaded guns i dont know. Was he out hunting?

He was in a nightclub apparently.