American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Yeah the more I thought about it, it made sense, a blocked punt would have been a disaster, but having said that, Imagine if that hail mary was caught. I was hoping the saints would win but I was cheering for a Chargers comeback in the last quater and we got one,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

As I said, the concept is sound, but the execution was dodgy. You need to be careful about putting points on the board for the opposition, and also be aware of the time.

magpie seanie

I don't know how much more time he could have burned off. Poor blocking meant they were really closing in on him when he tossed it away. Another second or two at best.

AZOffaly

Another second or two would have meant no Hail Mary play. At that stage every second counts, literally.

thejuice

By the way, what happened with the intro. Big mess up of it with the siants coming out at midfield. Not that it mattered but it was one of those moments that made you wonder about the organsiation of the event. Also was Joss Stone boo-ed before she sang GSTQ?

I did my best to join in on Star Spangled Banner but Ne-Yo ( :P ) was doing his best to over-sing it. And I didnt know all the words either. So I just hummed loudly in parts. I'll throw a few photos up when I can.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

By the way, Titans going 7-0, good going. Colts look like they wont threaten, they just arent connecting. The Pats are top their division and people were starting to say it on the tube going to Wembley, the Patriots are picking up momentum and are probably going to win the whole thing like we were afraid they would, only without Tom Brady.

Minder

You always got the feeling the teams dont want to be in London due to the travelling, logistics, giving up a home game etc.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c09adc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Fair play to him for being honest. Probably not what Roger Goodell wanted to hear. It is a raw deal for both teams and considering the large operation that is NFL football teams its quite an achievement to move them over and back across the Atlantic.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Minder on October 29, 2008, 11:17:30 AM
You always got the feeling the teams dont want to be in London due to the travelling, logistics, giving up a home game etc.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c09adc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

He's right about the pitch anyway but the pitch has been a disgrace ever since they finished the new Wembley and not just for NFL. They haven't managed to get a consistent surface down on it yet. It keeps cutting up.

In comparison those boys would probably kneel down and kiss the Croke Park turf if they ever get to play on it.

bombidal

Brees mis managed the clock a couple of times on their last possesion. Was a bit shocked to see him do it to be honest. I for one wasnt running out to get a good seat in the pub ! As I said on another thread quality weekend. Who do we want to see next year ? Colts v the packers or patriots would be great.
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

The Claw

Was Wembley full? Would it have been possible to pick up tickets on the day?

magickingdom

over 83k at it - dont know if thats full or not

bombidal

all the tickets were sold but I did see a few hundred spare seats
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

AZOffaly

Arizona Cardinals 5-3, every one else in the Division (Worst in football maybe) is 2-6.

3 game lead with 8 games to go. Only the Cardinals could screw this up. Oh.. wait.

magpie seanie

Da Bears limped to a very unimpressive win against whipping boys the Lions and will need to up it several notches for next week against the Titans who look impressive. Sadly Orton's injury means its likely Grossman will lost the game on his own next week. People might raise eyebrows at that statement given he threw for a TD and ran one in himself in the second half but this was against the Lions and he was chronic besides. Matt Forte got the job done. Mike Brown's injury again depletes a Bears secondary that's had a wild amount of injuries. The defense just isn't the same as it was. Still 5-3 and heading the Division is not bad.