American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

ONeill

Caught this:

QuoteA player is stopped when his knees touch the ground either because he was tackled by a defensive player or because he fell.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: ONeill on January 07, 2008, 12:32:15 AM
Caught this:

QuoteA player is stopped when his knees touch the ground either because he was tackled by a defensive player or because he fell.
Thats that then!

Puckoon

I think they awarded it for the second reach, after he had been stopped. In the play before, where he was brought down at the 1 yard line, was I the only person that noticed the titans coach physically alluding to his players that the player with the visor (i.e.LT) was going to be the receiver?! ???

ONeill

Also this though:
A down ends, and the ball becomes dead, after any of the following:

* The player with the ball is forced to the ground (tackled) or has his forward progress halted by members of the other team (as determined by an official).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

Found this

What is the NFL rule on forward motion?
How does the ref decide where to spot the ball when the player is stopped standing up and driven backwards before his knee touches the ground?

What is the forward motion rule, and when is it invoked?

By rule, the linesmen (and there are two of them) is looking at the ball and will place it at it's furthest point forward on the carry. Now if the player is standing straight up carrying the ball or leaning it does not matter. So if he is standing like you mentioned, his progress is stopped and he is being pushed back. At this time his forward movement is stopped and the play is whistled dead. The ball will be brought to it's most forward position.

So forward movement being stopped and knee on the ground can equal the same thing in spotting the ball.

Easiest question to ever answer on here they place the ball as far as the player goes, so if he carries for ten yards then is pushed back they mark him to the furthest point he achieved Report It

Wherever he stopped going forward, or whenever he started getting pushed back. The rule is that if a player has been forced backwards, they give him the ball wherever he or she stopped going FORWARD.
Forward progress is a judgment call.

As such, it varies from game to game, and ref to ref. Basically, he gives the runner as much yardage as where he is stopped. I'd imagine it takes years to develop the skills to watch these guys run, then decide where on the field they stopped.

David McKeown

Grr Im annoyed at that one, much rather have seen the Titans win it
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GalwayBayBoy

Next weekend

AFC

Jaguars @ Patriots

Chargers @ Colts

NFC

Seahawks @ Packers

Giants @ Cowboys

GY Joe

Quote from: Puckoon on January 05, 2008, 06:19:39 AM
You are absolutely right gabriel, he is, but he also wants to be one and plays it up a little lot.

I think he meant why do you think he is an awful arsehole.

BTW, the lakers are kicking ass and taking names at the minute. Going to be interesting later in the season. Big game tomorrow for Boston and Detroit.

you are right puck he plays it up. The players respect him and want to play for him, proven day in day out. You cant be a complete arsehole if you are so consistently getting the best from your team. Gabriel Im afraid you are talking thru green tinted glasses..

Speakng of green, check out the NBA article. The rebirth of Boston Celtic basketball is a tide that is lifting all boats... Boston 92 Detroit 85
http://www.nba.com/global/traffic_records_071213.html
Please God, send us a Celtics v Lakers Finals in June!!

Puckoon

Anyone watching the 60 minutes interview with Roger Clemence - the man looks as guilty as sin.

thejuice

Quote from: Puckoon on January 07, 2008, 12:35:17 AM
was I the only person that noticed the titans coach physically alluding to his players that the player with the visor (i.e.LT) was going to be the receiver?! ???

Yeah, it took me a sec to cop on as to what that meant, but it seems the titans didnt. So does anyone reckon the Giants can beat the Cowboys. They figured out the Bucs easily enough, but whether they can stop the Dallas offense is the big question. The Giants just arent as explosive as the Cowboys and that for me might be the difference. That said the Cowboys had a dip in form in the last few weeks, but that was after their play-off berth was assured.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Minder

Quote from: Minder on January 04, 2008, 09:35:23 PM
Selections for weekend in bold -

Washington Redskins at Seattle Seahawks - Redskins Redskins are playing their best football at the right time.
Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers -  Jaguars Doubt if Steelers can stop Taylor & Jones- Drew

New York Giants at Tampa Bay Buccanneers - Giants If Manning plays smart they should win.
Tennessee Titans at San Diego Chargers - Chargers Too many weapons, no offense for Titans.

3 outta 4 aint bad.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 04, 2008, 09:40:57 PM
Seahawks - are 7 and 1 at home this season
I think the Jags as well - too much running

Giants - are 7 and 1 on the road this season
Chargers - just cos

4/4 is better 8) 8)

Puckoon

Boys, picking is childs play! Hit the spreads, ill post next weeks and see how we all get on. :o

Tyrones own

Quote from: Puckoon on January 07, 2008, 03:56:25 AM
Anyone watching the 60 minutes interview with Roger Clemence - the man looks as guilty as sin.

He nearly shit himself with the mention of the lie detector test :D
His trainer has absolutley nothing to gain by lying and everything to gain
by telling the truth imo.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann