Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Talk about getting your excuses in early if true. Not much wonder we are performing at the level we are if players and indeed 'supporters' are apparently giving up in the womb.

In truth I suspect there are many who are prepared to weight right in behind the regime and it is just the crying baby that is being heard here.

bannside

I have a fair old finger on the pulse MR2 and no one is having a pop at Lenny or doubting his credentials. He is worthy of being on the shortlist and for what it's worth I would ask any players sitting on the fence to give Lenny their backing.

The players in particular are seeking a professional set up and a good backroom team, and are unsettled because there is a distinct lack of information about the latter. With respect I think they are entitled to both, and if this gets sorted out then it's all systems go. I'd be more worried about the players if they were happy to settle for anything less than that, plus its essential that they are on a level playing field in their preparation to play inter county football.

My own opinion is this is essential, particularly in light of an exceptionally strong backroom set up that was presented by JMK and presumably by AOR too.

So that's Lennys priority now that his club championship season is over.

Hectic

Thats fair enough BS but why are people jumping to conclusions at this stage? Or is there more info that we are not hearing?

bannside

Spike

Its easy to criticize players when you havent been  modern county footballer and been exposed to the sheer level of commitment needed not to bluff but do it right.  Its easy to shout from the ditch 'do it for pride / the county' etc etc but if you went through it for a few years, didnt agree with the process and then hear the new manager is of the same criteria as the old you'd need to be  onvinced yourself.   

Thats Lennys biggest task.  Convincing the weary doubters. Antrim dont have the numbers of talent for him to be losing good men to apathy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 29, 2017, 10:16:57 PM
I have a fair old finger on the pulse MR2 and no one is having a pop at Lenny or doubting his credentials. He is worthy of being on the shortlist and for what it's worth I would ask any players sitting on the fence to give Lenny their backing.

The players in particular are seeking a professional set up and a good backroom team, and are unsettled because there is a distinct lack of information about the latter. With respect I think they are entitled to both, and if this gets sorted out then it's all systems go. I'd be more worried about the players if they were happy to settle for anything less than that, plus its essential that they are on a level playing field in their preparation to play inter county football.

My own opinion is this is essential, particularly in light of an exceptionally strong backroom set up that was presented by JMK and presumably by AOR too.

So that's Lennys priority now that his club championship season is over.

Not having a pop but think JMK would have a more professional approach based on what? A team in Derry getting beat in an All Ireland final? And O'Roukes main professional approach is what? Not getting why others  approach is better here? It sounds like hearsay at the minute to be honest or sour grapes... If Lenny is to make Antrim competitive then he needs everyone who claims they what antrim to be successful to work with him. Standing aside and hoping it falls apart it a rotten approach, should Any player no matter what club (mine included) do that needs to feck off and do one

You talked about preparation for county is essential, why wouldn't it be for all the candidates? Why would one be less of an approach to having the best prep?

This professional approach thing is all well and good (the pampered approach) but ya got up have balls, grit, determination, pride and a will to win.... waiting to see a back room team before committing or because a clubman hasn't got the job (think he's at least 5 years too early if I'm honest) is childish... county players (Antrim) in my view need to catch themselves on, it's not a democracy, manager appointed this is my plan this is how i want you to do it.. we stand and fall by our decisions.

We don't always get what we want in life, but I can't wait to hear the SW lads stick the knives into the management team when they head back to their clubs complaining about the poor food after training or how it wasn't salty enough, or their socks didn't fit!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

MR2 this may sound like you are sticking up for Lenny and I am sticking up for John, because they are clubmen of our own.

But listen, the difference here is I could write a book about this, but that would only add fuel to the fire, and would be seen as attempting to undermine Lenny, which is strictly not true, and for that reason I won't go down that road.

So I will keep this really simple and point out that the main gripe that nearly ALL the players on the panel are having is that they know McKeevers backroom team, how credible they were, because they were top notch and top calibre, and that in contrast to a lack of anything remotely resembling this coming from Lennys camp has caused strong ripples of discontent amongst the squad.

Regarding a professional approach, knowhow, delivery etc I would expect Lenny to be competent, and I haven't heard anyone offering a different view. So be clear, no one is anti Lenny.

I think the majority of readers here will find this entirely logical, and back to my previous comment, if Lenny gets this important aspect sorted, then there is no excuse for any player who fails to commit.

What is this team in Derry getting beat in an All Ireland final thing about?

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on September 30, 2017, 07:03:48 AM
MR2 this may sound like you are sticking up for Lenny and I am sticking up for John, because they are clubmen of our own.

But listen, the difference here is I could write a book about this, but that would only add fuel to the fire, and would be seen as attempting to undermine Lenny, which is strictly not true, and for that reason I won't go down that road.

So I will keep this really simple and point out that the main gripe that nearly ALL the players on the panel are having is that they know McKeevers backroom team, how credible they were, because they were top notch and top calibre, and that in contrast to a lack of anything remotely resembling this coming from Lennys camp has caused strong ripples of discontent amongst the squad.

Regarding a professional approach, knowhow, delivery etc I would expect Lenny to be competent, and I haven't heard anyone offering a different view. So be clear, no one is anti Lenny.

I think the majority of readers here will find this entirely logical, and back to my previous comment, if Lenny gets this important aspect sorted, then there is no excuse for any player who fails to commit.

BS from time to time you do post some sh!te but that post is hard for anybody to argue with. The triumphalism of some posters on here is embarrassing. Our players aren't stupid & they'll know through time if the set up is decent.

Milltown Row2

Derry teams get to Croke park more often than Antrim teams, better club players in Derry than Antrim also.. my point is simple, taking a Antrim club team to Croke park never mind winning Ulster titles but to win an All Ireland title is something the other lad hasnt managed! He could be a wonderful lad and I remember him playing against us many a time, so I'm not knocking him just asking

Who was this backroom team anyways ? And why are his more credible and Lennys not? Like I said earlier it's a lot of hearsay without the facts..

. I managed our seniors to Croke park albeit at intermediate level and were beat convincingly on he night, I know that the backroom team I had was just right, great coach who arranged all the drills and training sessions, id a trusted assistant, which I played on the team with for many years and was his assistant when he was a manager, also we'd other lads that came in at various points of the year that assisted us, so I get how important a backroom team is I understand that getting the balance is important and how getting the respect of the players is crucial...

So my point is let's see, stop this sniping from the sides, clubman or not I said it when Fitzy and Adams took over, the same snipers giving it then .. I've had plenty issues with the county over the years and voiced not just here but through my club, so if I've a gripe I'll post it, like yourself I don't hide behind an alias as such, anything I say here I've no problem saying it personally
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 30, 2017, 07:57:13 AM

BS from time to time you do post some sh!te but that post is hard for anybody to argue with. The triumphalism of some posters on here is embarrassing. Our players aren't stupid & they'll know through time if the set up is decent.

What posters are being that? And players aren't stupid? another great observation.. again plenty negative stuff and sour grapes for some reason... while nothing is won or achieved by anything written on here it does give you an insight to people's views and stance... for the record I don't care if the manager of either our senior teams are from Antrim Down Derry or Kerry for that matter, as long as the players, cause it seems they aren't getting any flack here at all and they are the ones on the pitch, put the effort in, instead of gurning to others for their points to be put on here a public forum, no different to the Irish news by the way

bannside

MR, now come on. You're asking me to put Johns backroom team out there? I'm only after giving you the exact reason why it mightnt be in some people's best interest if I did that.

"To win an All - Ireland title is something the other lad hasn't managed"  is a comment that is grossly untrue and comes across as a condescending response to some wee fella from the country sticks. You see thats thd exact kind of this king that grates the hundreds of football people in the SW.

For you information, at the age of 33 John managed Fr Rocks in Cookstown to win Tyrone Ulster and All Ireland intermediate title.

For God's sake keep up, please.

Hectic

Quote from: bannside on September 29, 2017, 10:45:03 PM
What conclusions exactly?

People here and saying cheap option, same old failings, players will not play etc. Personally I wpuld like to see everyone start on a clean slate and judge as we go.

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 30, 2017, 07:57:13 AM

More a general question but where does pandering get you? Have you worked in a situation before where the tail wags the dog and if so what was the level of success?

I am not saying we should not aim to have the best facilities, backroom setup etc but I am wary of players apparetnly showing apathy before all detail is in place at the very least.

If you had ever worked with todays generation of footballers you would know that some are too quick to find excuses.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 30, 2017, 08:32:31 AM
MR, now come on. You're asking me to put Johns backroom team out there? I'm only after giving you the exact reason why it mightnt be in some people's best interest if I did that.

"To win an All - Ireland title is something the other lad hasn't managed"  is a comment that is grossly untrue and comes across as a condescending response to some wee fella from the country sticks. You see thats thd exact kind of this king that grates the hundreds of football people in the SW.

For you information, at the age of 33 John managed Fr Rocks in Cookstown to win Tyrone Ulster and All Ireland intermediate title.

For God's sake keep up, please.

Im talking Antrim and I'm talking senior... you keep up

Hectic

I hope JMK maintains an ambition to manage Antrim. While no doubt he would have had a vision to get is moving fast perhaps the timing might be much better a few years down the line. There is still a fair bit of sorting out to be done from top to bottom at this stage so maybe the best time for him to walk in will be when things are at a good level and he can take them even higher. I certainly do not doubt his pedigree.