?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Quote from: Franko on May 23, 2017, 09:20:29 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 08, 2017, 11:40:58 PM
Fearing makes stupid statements and ignores anyone who contradicts them. I'm going back to ignoring him

How you getting on with this tonto?  ::)

I know. Sometimes I cant help myself. Nice to see youre still checking up on me tho

Denn Forever

Will Celtic and Liverpool be at the same stage in CL i.e. will they have the same number of Qualifying games to play to get to the group stages of the CL?

Will be interesting to see who progresses furthest.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ned

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 23, 2017, 12:51:02 PM
Will Celtic and Liverpool be at the same stage in CL i.e. will they have the same number of Qualifying games to play to get to the group stages of the CL?

No. Different side to the draw. As it should be, Liverpool will have more difficult ties largely as they are not champions of their country. Until the big four leagues have all their representatives parachuted straight into the groups as is planned.

foxcommander

Quote from: ned on May 23, 2017, 01:37:47 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on May 23, 2017, 12:51:02 PM

No. Different side to the draw. As it should be, Liverpool will have more difficult ties largely as they are not champions of their country. Until the big four leagues have all their representatives parachuted straight into the groups as is planned.

Just take the top 6 from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France directly and be done with the charade of champions league. Add in a couple of token teams from a 10 round qualifier to make up the rest.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

ashman

Irishmen and indeed Irish women  following British soccer teams are pathetic . 

It is really noticeable that there is no thread on this site on either Irish pro soccer league. 

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on May 20, 2017, 09:08:06 PM
How am I not a true fan? Honouring the Lions and paying a substantial sum for two tickets with all profits going to the Celtic Foundation who do magnificent work?
Look, by the time you've guzzled up every scrap of food about the place, you fat Cnut, there'll be little profit left for any foundation.
Careful now

Hectic

Quote from: ashman on May 23, 2017, 11:51:20 PM

It is really noticeable that there is no thread on this site on either Irish pro soccer league.

I think it is pathetic that what people do in their spare time appears to irk you so much. Would the same go for watching non Irish tv shows, non Irish movies, eating non Irish foods? Get a life FFS.

general_lee

Quote from: ashman on May 23, 2017, 11:51:20 PM

Are you really that insular? There's big Irish communities in cities across Britain so it is only natural that people will follow the teams. I don't think there's anything pathetic about that.

Hectic

I wonder where Ashman stands on the idea of uniting the two states on the island of Ireland to once again create an Irish Nation and an official Ireland.

That for me would be higher up the priority list than worrying about recreational preferences. That said if he is so staunch about sport it is probably pretty obvious he is at the forefront of promoting Irish unity.

ashman

Quote from: Hectic on May 24, 2017, 08:48:58 AM
I wonder where Ashman stands on the idea of uniting the two states on the island of Ireland to once again create an Irish Nation and an official Ireland.

That for me would be higher up the priority list than worrying about recreational preferences. That said if he is so staunch about sport it is probably pretty obvious he is at the forefront of promoting Irish unity.

Not overly concerned about a UI to be honest .  My support for Irish sport is largely about community. I support my local LOI team and would be a fan of the league in general .  Can't understand Irish people referring to British soccer clubs as "we" . These clubs are big money grabbing corporations.

Hectic

Quote from: ashman on May 24, 2017, 09:29:39 AM

Not overly concerned about a UI to be honest .  My support for Irish sport is largely about community. I support my local LOI team and would be a fan of the league in general .  Can't understand Irish people referring to British soccer clubs as "we" . These clubs are big money grabbing corporations.

I am very active in my community as is my wife.  We have an active role in coaching kids and in family groups, always support local businesses, have watered the local hanging baskets and painted at the local GAA club FFS but it is not one or the other when it comes to supporting Glasgow Celtic, a corporation yes but much much more than that and indeed a club like few others.  Being a Celtic supporter is about being part of a community also and in the case of my supporters club a local one at that.

ned

Quote from: ashman on May 24, 2017, 09:29:39 AM

What if my local soccer club would be a very unwelcome environment for me or someone from my background? Celtic are an all inclusive club with very strong Irish links as you are well aware. Sports fans the world over refer to their team as 'we'. Not sure why you post in here because your tune never changes nor do you offer any insight, just popping up now and again to reiterate the same point. Celtic are a british football club in that they play in UK but more precisely they are a Scottish club with a massive Irish influence. So to that end I have much more in common with the club and my fellow supporters than I have even with the GAA club I represented as a youngster. The gaa can be a bit insular at times.

T Fearon

You can identify with a sports team in another country for numerous valid reasons.For me,it is the Irish roots of Celtic,Pat Jennings is the reason I've supported Spurs for decades.I would also follow,not actively in terms of attending games,both the Irish and Airtricty Leagues and used to travel regularly to Dundalk games during the Jimmy Mc Laughlin era.

But to get back to the point,overpraising what are,in context,modest achievements in the face of no opposition whatsoever, will not improve our club,particularly on the European stage.

tonto1888

My local team at home are glenavon. My father got a hiding watching them for the fact he was a catholic. Why on earth would I follow them

T Fearon

I was clearing out my late father's house last night and came across his Glenavon season ticket from the sixties.He and his Uncle were huge Glenavon fans,on account of Jimmy Jones and Johnny Denver joining them after Belfast Celtic's demise.

I remember seeing Martin O'Neill score two goals to help Distillery beat Glenavon in the Irish Cup quarter final in 1971 in Lurgan.