Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Well as the dust settled on a big win for Ross,will galway have the stomach for the qualifiers.Yesterday's defeat was a huge setback,nothing against rosscomon but after last year's defeat to tipp,they have not learned to underestimate an opponent.it's always easy to get motivated for mayo,but that seems to be our lot.Donegal will be a huge match,don't be surprised if galway take them,so many were not allowed perform yesterday
( rosscommon hunger).I'd safely say there will be a players only meeting  to try and regroup.walsh can't take all the blame.

Maroon Manc

Anyone else think Gough was shocking? never seen so many soft frees he gave especially right in front of the post and lost count of the amount of yellow cards he dished out for what looked like nothing.

Haven't seen what Comer did but he should have got straight red, he's going to have to learn to curb that temper of his.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2017, 12:35:42 PM
Anyone else think Gough was shocking? never seen so many soft frees he gave especially right in front of the post and lost count of the amount of yellow cards he dished out for what looked like nothing.

Haven't seen what Comer did but he should have got straight red, he's going to have to learn to curb that temper of his.

I heard a few Galway supporters take this tact. Gough had a few soft ones in their direction too but honestly nearly ever call was correct - you put the hand on the back, put in a lazy foul or fúck about off the ball you'll be called. He's the best ref in the country by some distance IMHO. The only thing he missed (thanks to the linesman not having the guts to call him over) was Kerin kneeing Diarmuid in the first half, which should have been a card offence, meaning he would have been sent off when he eventually got one for another incident later.

Without trying to dismiss Galway, I'd say if he'd reffed the Mayo match Mayo would have won as he wouldn't have let Galway away with some of the wreckless, macho BS they did get away with. I'd be looking more at Galway's discipline yesterday than I would be at the ref. Trying to intimidate teams will only get you so far because you'll always eventually find one that can take anything you can throw and/or a ref that isn't going to tolerate it.

GalwayBayBoy

The "fouls" he awarded for off the ball contact were ridiculously soft and replays showed there was minimal enough contact between the players beyond the normal jostling for position. You'd see more contact at the national ballet. If you start blowing those up every single time the game would be a farce. No doubt Galway came out on the wrong side of most of those but what can you do. McStay thought he was magnificent and you very rarely hear any manager singing the praises of a ref to that extent.

Although if you say it you'll probably be accused of sour grapes but despite his eccentric performance he wasn't the reason we lost. That was down to the wretched display of the players and management themselves. I doubt we won a 50/50 ball all afternoon and we lost a fair few 70/30 ones in our favour. When that is happening you know the mindset is all wrong.

GaillimhIarthair

He was poor BUT that's not why we lost!  Too many lads just though they had to turn up and collect the Nestor cup and they got what they deserved.  You have to earn the right to play to your own game plan and when your loosing as many 50:50 challenges as we did yesterday, well then you usually get well bet, and we did and should have been bet by more - BIG 2 weeks for that whole setup.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2017, 12:51:56 PM

I heard a few Galway supporters take this tact. Gough had a few soft ones in their direction too but honestly nearly ever call was correct - you put the hand on the back, put in a lazy foul or fúck about off the ball you'll be called. He's the best ref in the country by some distance IMHO. The only thing he missed (thanks to the linesman not having the guts to call him over) was Kerin kneeing Diarmuid in the first half, which should have been a card offence, meaning he would have been sent off when he eventually got one for another incident later.

Without trying to dismiss Galway, I'd say if he'd reffed the Mayo match Mayo would have won as he wouldn't have let Galway away with some of the wreckless, macho BS they did get away with. I'd be looking more at Galway's discipline yesterday than I would be at the ref. Trying to intimidate teams will only get you so far because you'll always eventually find one that can take anything you can throw and/or a ref that isn't going to tolerate it.

I think Gough probably is the best ref out there - certainly best of the young crop. But some of those frees for off-the-ball "push in the back" were ridiculously soft - they were literally blown for a hand touching the player, no push involved.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

galwayman

Just cannot f**king understand how that team could be so passive in any championship game never mind a provincial final.
The Mayo footballers get a lot of stick but they always put in a shift at the very least.
This Galway team yesterday and against Tipp last year didn't.
I will never understand that.
Enda Smith was a colossus yesterday

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Rossfan

Gough is no hero of mine Syfīn ;D
Just think he's a decent ref full stop.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2017, 02:58:27 PM
Anyone else think Gough was shocking?
No -only Galway people so......
I've said it before . i think the Powers that be give referrees brownie points for fouls off the ball, further away the better.the main problem being it leads to huge inconsistency with all the one that are missed
Gough seemed to spend more time watching where the ball was not rather than where it was .
hes A shoo in for the final this year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 10, 2017, 08:22:46 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2017, 08:19:18 AM
Delighted for Roscommon and their supporters on here.
Have always found them a very knowledgeable and fair set of supporters.

McStay played a blnder.

Roscommon are one of the bottom 6 when it comes to playing numbers.
They showed that the lack of numbers argument is rubbish.
Great to see.

Well done to them but I think you're overegging the pudding a bit there.

Roscommon would probably have the third highest playing numbers in Connacht and all they had to was beat a Division 4 side to get to the final in the first place. Great result for them yesterday but it probably said as much about where Galway are at than Roscommon are.
Roscommon have been playing Div one football the last two years and Galway haven't played Div one football since 2011 and it showed in that Connacht final.

Roscommon playing numbers would be similar to Sligos. At least yesterday they proved they weren't "desperate" as you tried to claim before the game but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there as you were only looking for a cheap rise and have little or no knowledge of Roscommon football.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

McStay played a blnder.

Great to see.

Roscommon would probably have the third highest playing numbers in Connacht and all they had to was beat a Division 4 side to get to the final in the first place. Great result for them yesterday but it probably said as much about where Galway are at than Roscommon are.
Roscommon have been playing Div one football the last two years and Galway haven't played Div one football since 2011 and it showed in that Connacht final.

I don't actually think that was a factor at all. Mayo have been in division 1 for donkey's years but Galway beat them twice. Games like these (especially on a dirty day) often come down to attitude, mindset and workrate. One side had all those and the other didn't.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2017, 12:02:57 PM

At least the players get the opportunity to bounce straight back unlike last year, if and its a big if they can win against Donegal it won't have been such a bad year but as we seen with Roscommon last year against Clare you just couldn't fancy Galway at all.

Roscommon had to play that Clare game six day after a Connacht final trimming. Galway have the extra week to recover now plus Donegal aren't exactly flying and look like a team that maxed out during the NFL.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 10, 2017, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

McStay played a blnder.

Great to see.

I don't actually think that was a factor at all. Mayo have been in division 1 for donkey's years but Galway beat them twice. Games like these (especially on a dirty day) often come down to attitude, mindset and workrate. One side had all those and the other didn't.

Like McStay said, people like to draw straight lines between games and events as if they are of huge consequence. Its especially hard to draw those lines when the accepted wisdom has been thrown down a bog hole. A lot of our starters this year weren't even regulars in D1 last year, while some others who statrred weren't even on the panel at all.

I'd be looking at how many tight games these players have played against each other over the years at all grades - there's no fear or inferiority complexes on either side. That sort of mentality means you get results like the last three Connacht finals.