Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Quote from: armaghniac on September 07, 2017, 11:55:26 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 07, 2017, 10:56:12 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 07, 2017, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2017, 10:38:25 AM
Danske Bank ATM's dollihttp://gaaboard.com/board/Themes/default/images/bbc/code.gifng out the cash yesterday evening. Near riots at the Springfield road ATM..

They'll just change the colour of the banknotes and render the old ones useless.

A bank  cannot decide to render legal tender useless cause they've fcuked up.   That's why it's called legal tender...they've an obligation to accept it!

Northern Ireland banknotes are not legal tender and they did change the colour of Northern Bank notes after a SF fund raising a decade ago.

It's legal tender in NI - obviously!
They can change the color all they like but the notes spewed out by the ATM remain legal tender and won't be rendered useless as you suggest.  If they are brought to the bank they will be exchanged for the new notes in circulation.

gallsman

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 08, 2017, 09:56:17 AM

I hate to be pedantic, but as you insisted this was "obviously" the case, I will be.

Norn Iron banknotes are not legal tender (a term that has a very specific meaning) anywhere in the UK, including Norn Iron itself.

AZOffaly

This is interesting.

"Are Scottish bank notes legal tender? No, not even in Scotland, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. It simply means most people don't understand what legal tender is (see below). Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales, meaning there are no legal tender notes in Scotland at all.

What is legal tender? It simply means if you have a court order against you for money, the person you owe cannot turn down your settlement if you offer to pay by legal tender.

Trivia time - Is 22p of 2ps legal tender? No, but 18p is. For pub quiz use only, be aware that with coins the amount counts. So you can settle court debts of up to 20p in 1ps and 2ps; up to £5 in 5p's & 10p's, and up to £10 in 20p's & 50p's. However, £1 & £2 coins are legal tender up to any amount - in England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

What if a shop refuses your cash? There's little you can do, shops don't have to sell you goods, whatever you offer for payment.
Let me finish with a quick word to English shopkeepers - please accept Scottish and Northern Irish notes. While not legal tender, they are UK Parliament-approved legal currency, which makes them a perfectly acceptable way to pay."

armaghniac

My comment about changing the colour of the notes was a reference to the Northern Bank robbery, not designed to derail the whole thread. Over the Bar, if you have one of these dodgy withdrawals the notes are OK, they'll just get you from the records and the camera in the atm.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Over the Bar

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2017, 10:23:56 AM

I hate to be pedantic, but as you insisted this was "obviously" the case, I will be.

Norn Iron banknotes are not legal tender (a term that has a very specific meaning) anywhere in the UK, including Norn Iron itself.

In that case tell us which banks in NI would refuse Norn Iron notes currently in circulation as not being legal tender?   

gallsman

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 08, 2017, 11:55:58 AM

In that case tell us which banks in NI would refuse Norn Iron notes currently in circulation as not being legal tender?

Why? I never claimed they would. You simply made a factually incorrect statement and I pointed it out.

Over the Bar

Quote from: armaghniac on September 08, 2017, 10:46:07 AM
My comment about changing the colour of the notes was a reference to the Northern Bank robbery, not designed to derail the whole thread. Over the Bar, if you have one of these dodgy withdrawals the notes are OK, they'll just get you from the records and the camera in the atm.

I brought 3 of old brown northern bank £10 notes my gran had to the bank last year and they exchanged straight away without as much as a 'where did you get them'.

Over the Bar

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2017, 12:09:05 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 08, 2017, 11:55:58 AM

Why? I never claimed they would. You simply made a factually incorrect statement and I pointed it out.

So you accept it is considered legal tender by all banks in Norn Iron then?  I expect there's a pin head somewhere you want to go for a dance on too?   ::)

gallsman

Your continued ignorance is astounding. Acceptance of it as a form of payment does not make it "legal tender".

Over the Bar

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2017, 06:13:21 PM
Your continued ignorance is astounding. Acceptance to  of it as a form of payment  does not make it "legal tender".

Your inability to read a sentence is the only astounding part of this. Banks here are not accepting the notes because they are an acceptable form of payment in society, they accept because the are considered legal tender here.  And to the original point, a bank can't simply decide to make it's notes worthless because an ATM gets robbed or the Northern Bank gets done over. Millions of £ of old Northern Bank notes have made their way back to the bank from all over the world in the years since the robbery and they have had little option but to accept them, not because they offer fantastic customer service, but because the notes are considered legal tender despite whatever completely disregarded quirk in law you are hanging your hat on.  Law might provide for those bestowed with freedom of a city to drive their cattle thru it but can I happen in reality?  No.  Could you attempt to lodge £100 of Norn Iron notes in any bank here and be told sorry we can't accept because by the letter of the law it's worthless paper and not legal tender. Yes.  Could it happen in reality? No, because the notes are considered legal tender by all banks here.

Dougal Maguire

That post seafoid posted on the GAA thread yesterday
Careful now