RTE's continuing agitation of Northern Nationalists

Started by T Fearon, October 11, 2017, 07:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

I think he has family connections in Ardoyne.

He came out very strongly against northern nationalists playing for the 26 County team.

His co commentary on Today FM is brutal

weareros

Quote from: T Fearon on October 11, 2017, 10:14:20 AM
Has Dunphy liked any Irish manager after Eoin Hand's tenure?

No, and would say he disliked Charlton, Tappatoni and Mick McCarthy more. His dislike for McCarthy was fairly vicious when he was a player, apparently going back to a time when he was taking Dave O' Leary's place on  team, much to Eamon's chagrin, and Dunphy challenged him to a race to prove Mick had no pace.

JPGJOHNNYG

Dunphys comment was a joke. He has a pretty nationalist outlook and is very supportive of the northern boys playing for Ireland.
Brian Kerr was a great youth coach but didnt do it for the first team he didnt beat a single team ranked higher than 80 (EIGHTY FFS) in a competitive match. He reckons he didnt get a fair go at it but he did! Euro 2004 he took over after 2 defeats fair enough but he was in charge for the whole 2006 campaign which included 2 draws against Israel were we literally just threw away the points and then the big must win game against Switzerland I dont even think we had one single shot. He was rightfully given the boot but should have been replaced by a proper manager not Staunton (what were they thinking of???????????)

The Subbie

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 11, 2017, 11:49:06 AM
Dunphys comment was a joke. He has a pretty nationalist outlook and is very supportive of the northern boys playing for Ireland.
Brian Kerr was a great youth coach but didnt do it for the first team he didnt beat a single team ranked higher than 80 (EIGHTY FFS) in a competitive match. He reckons he didnt get a fair go at it but he did! Euro 2004 he took over after 2 defeats fair enough but he was in charge for the whole 2006 campaign which included 2 draws against Israel were we literally just threw away the points and then the big must win game against Switzerland I dont even think we had one single shot. He was rightfully given the boot but should have been replaced by a proper manager not Staunton (what were they thinking of???????????)

Correct.

Brian Kerr was the bargain basement choice after Mick McCarthy was sacked.
All that's wrong with Brian ever since is that the FAI have moved away from the incesteous Dublin soccer circuit when looking for new national and underage managers.
The Dutch fella who is technical director now has ruffled a few feathers amongst the Dublin based football intelligentsia- The hardcore DSL & LSL crew who think that north of balbriggan & south of Kilternan there be dragons.

Kerr is a fellow traveler with that mob and unless you are cut from a the same cloth you are an inferior being when it comes to Irish football as those boys see it.

If Martin O'Neill was from Monaghan or Mayo it wouldn't make a difference to Kerr & co

laoislad

Quote from: The Subbie on October 11, 2017, 12:09:58 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 11, 2017, 11:49:06 AM

Correct.

Brian Kerr was the bargain basement choice after Mick McCarthy was sacked.
All that's wrong with Brian ever since is that the FAI have moved away from the incesteous Dublin soccer circuit when looking for new national and underage managers.
The Dutch fella who is technical director now has ruffled a few feathers amongst the Dublin based football intelligentsia- The hardcore DSL & LSL crew who think that north of balbriggan & south of Kilternan there be dragons.

Kerr is a fellow traveler with that mob and unless you are cut from a the same cloth you are an inferior being when it comes to Irish football as those boys see it.

If Martin O'Neill was from Monaghan or Mayo it wouldn't make a difference to Kerr & co
Ah no it's definitely because he is from the North. Sure what other reason could it be.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WeeDonns

Quote from: Orior on October 11, 2017, 10:42:45 AM
The blocking of certain programmes is particularly distasteful. For example, why would they block Ireland soccer matches, but allow Rugby or Gaelic?

On freeview they block shows on RTE 2 standard definition, but if you move on up the channel list to RTE 2 HD it isn't blocked  ;)

yellowcard

Anyone taking the Dunphy comments seriously need to have a good look at themselves.

armaghniac

The blocking of certain programmes is particularly distasteful. For example, why would they block Ireland soccer matches, but allow Rugby or Gaelic?

If they don't have the rights, what can they do? You might say that they should buy the rights, but if Sky or someone buys the UK rights how can RTÉ reasonably stop them. In rugby there is an all Ireland team, but soccer is partitionist.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Dunphy is an ejit but I wouldn't pay too much attention to these comments

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 11, 2017, 01:31:22 PM

This is all there is to it for sure. Every one knows a clown like that
Usually gets lamped now and again and you try and avoid him cause you don't need the hassle
RTE coverage of Irish soccer is very poor with not a intelligent anylist in the building
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

ashman

Quote from: laoislad on October 11, 2017, 10:24:09 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2017, 09:49:09 AM
Sorry yeah, Kerr was commentating on radio v Moldova, so it probably was him. He doesn't like O'Neill, you can tell by the little remarks he makes even when something goes well.
Kerr only dislikes O'Neill because he is from the North.

Kerr's father is from Belfast .

ashman

Quote from: T Fearon on October 11, 2017, 07:03:43 AM
Following on from the map controversy on the Late Late Show,this week we have had Sean O'Rourke laughing on air at Liam Cosgrave's suggestion that water was too good for the hunger strikers and Eamon Dunphy thanking God on air for "Londonderry" (referencing the contribution of Martin O'Neill,Mc Clean and Duffy in Cardiff).

This has caused a howl of protests up North,but no adverse reaction at all in the South.Are we too sensitive up here? I must say I did laugh at Dunphy's comment,which I interpreted at the time as being tongue in cheek

Sky have the rights for showing ROI games in the UK .  The FAI did that deal .  RTE are blameless here to be fair .

ashman

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 11, 2017, 02:16:57 PM

This is all there is to it for sure. Every one knows a clown like that
Usually gets lamped now and again and you try and avoid him cause you don't need the hassle
RTE coverage of Irish soccer is very poor with not a intelligent anylist in the building

RTE didn't show the FAI Cup semi replay last night . An utter disgrace .

Orior

So is Trump. And look where he is now.

Sometimes it is better to call out the idiot before the unthinkable happens.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians