Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: jimbo on July 08, 2009, 01:48:48 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2009, 01:22:48 AM
Quoteand most of those he beat have all tested positive for EPO at some stage.

Really? That's quite a lot, and a bit confusing too.

Our society really is riddled with the British tabloid 'let's think the worst of people' attitude. You saw it in Jackson's death, you see it with Armstrong. With no proof, and even when the evidence appears clear-cut, people refuse to accept that some are better than others.

Armstrong is the most tested cyclist out there. Can you not simply put it down to the fact that he perhaps has more ability in that discipline than others. Is Phelps also on drugs? Carl Lewis, Federer, Red Rum...

Did it not come out in the long grass that Carol Lewis failed drug tests?

Edit - posted after I read rest of thread!
Sister of Carl?

There is photographic evidence of Phelps taking drugs ;)

Declan

My recollection on Armstrong is that after the 2005 tour L'Equipe reported that in his first winning Tour de France, in 1999, he had tested positive for EPO. Six separate samples taken during that race revealed positive tests for EPO. Don't know what ever happened after that story came out though-

maddog

Quote from: Declan on July 08, 2009, 02:04:08 PM
My recollection on Armstrong is that after the 2005 tour L'Equipe reported that in his first winning Tour de France, in 1999, he had tested positive for EPO. Six separate samples taken during that race revealed positive tests for EPO. Don't know what ever happened after that story came out though-

Had he tested positive (even afterwards) the race would have been taken off him would it not.

Declan

QuoteHad he tested positive (even afterwards) the race would have been taken off him would it not.

I'm not sure maddog. Don't think they took it off Riise when he subsequently admitted being doped but am not 100% certain of the rules.

gallsman

Quote from: Declan on July 08, 2009, 02:15:57 PM
QuoteHad he tested positive (even afterwards) the race would have been taken off him would it not.

I'm not sure maddog. Don't think they took it off Riise when he subsequently admitted being doped but am not 100% certain of the rules.

Yep, Riis is still recognised as te 1996 champion. Might have something to do with the fact that second, third and fourth in that race (Ullrich, Virenque and Dufaux) also subsequently tested positive in their careers.

ONeill

Quote from: maddog on July 08, 2009, 02:11:16 PM
Quote from: Declan on July 08, 2009, 02:04:08 PM

Had he tested positive (even afterwards) the race would have been taken off him would it not.

As far as I know the process was that flawed that it was thrown out.

From the bible:

On August 23, 2005, L'Équipe, a major French daily sports newspaper, reported on its front page under the headline "le mensonge Armstrong" ("The Armstrong Lie") that 6 urine samples taken from the cyclist during the prologue and five stages of the 1999 Tour de France, frozen and stored since at "Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry" (LNDD), had tested positive for EPO in recent retesting conducted as part of a research project into EPO testing methods.[38][39] For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen carrying red blood cells. The world governing body of cycling, Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001, two years after the samples were taken. This claim was based on an investigation in which they claimed to be able to match samples from the 1999 Tour that were used to hone the EPO test to Armstrong.[40] To establish a link between Armstrong and the samples, the LNDD matched the tracking numbers on the samples with those on Armstrong's record with the UCI during the 1999 Tour. Armstrong immediately replied on his website, saying, "Unfortunately, the witch hunt continues and tomorrow's article is nothing short of tabloid journalism. The paper even admits in its own article that the science in question here is faulty and that I have no way to defend myself. They state: 'There will therefore be no counter-exam nor regulatory prosecutions, in a strict sense, since defendant's rights cannot be respected.' I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance enhancing drugs."[41]
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

maddog

The cross winds were playing havoc again yesterday with the echelons forming across the road and riders getting squeezed out at the back of each group. Very difficult conditions. Long breakaway paid dividends for Thomas Voeckler and a great tactical ride to let the others attack again and again and when the legs were gone and the moment of hesitation was there he put the hammer down and that was it, Stage 5 in the bag. Teams will be trying to do the same today especially with the few climbs throw in, expect long breakaways early in the stage. Cavendish won the bunch sprint for 3rd, he should be a cert for the green jersey. Todays stage wouldnt be necessarily his cup of tea with an uphill finish. Its starting to get interesting and have to say itv4 coverage at 7pm every night is excellent.

Denn Forever

How is Armstrong doing?  Heard he was 2nd?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

maddog

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 09, 2009, 12:37:09 PM

Yeah he's 2nd overall, not even a full second behind. He will probably be in yellow tonight if not tomorrow. Cancellara couldn't climb out of bed.

gerry

That will be some result for lance to get the yellow today.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: maddog on July 09, 2009, 12:50:13 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 09, 2009, 12:37:09 PM

Yeah he's 2nd overall, not even a full second behind. He will probably be in yellow tonight if not tomorrow. Cancellara couldn't climb out of bed.

Don't be so sure, a lot predicting him to still be in yellow after the weekend

Orior

Gallant effort by Millar today.

Anyone hear Cavendish talk? He's from Isle of Man but he sounds Irish.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2009, 09:39:52 PM
Gallant effort by Miller today.

thought he had it won with 2 miles to go

gerry

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 09, 2009, 09:43:46 PM

he nearly done it but it cost him overall by dropping 10 positions on the general classification.

good ride by nicholas roche  with a 12th place stage finish

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: gerry on July 10, 2009, 12:42:52 AM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 09, 2009, 09:43:46 PM

he nearly done it but it cost him overall by dropping 10 positions on the general classification.

good ride by nicholas roche  with a 12th place stage finish

He did well today, think he finished 8th the other day as well (stage 4?)