Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

On that topic, anyone that thinks the current Down team would beat the 94 team is taking the piss, where would you start in comparing the players, I know the game has changed a lot but the quality of players on view onTG4 today is simply not in the county now, one of the best of many days following Down

thebar

Quote from: Nanderson on April 26, 2020, 05:04:47 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 26, 2020, 04:59:30 PM
Nanderson you are crazy.
The game has evolved massively but so to would that team
Crazy statement
I never said that the 90's team would have evolved. Its if the two teams stayed in the era that they are currently in. I would fancy Darren O'Hagan to do a job on Linden and nullify their main threat up front.
Nanderson you gave me a laugh if nothing else  ;D

Ambrose

I've been following Down since the early to mid 70s, my first memory of a Down game was circa 1974. That particular game in Celtic Park in 1994 was the greatest game of football I ever attended. If Down had lost that game by a point or two we really couldn't have had any complaints, it was that close. Derry had some amazing footballers. Brolly ran the show until Paul Higgins put manners on him.Tohill and McGilligan at midfield were without equal, Tohill was and is the complete footballer. McKeever and Scullion were two of the greatest corner backs in the game. Henry Downey was magnificent, not just on the day, but over a two or three tear period and he deservedly got to lift Sam in 1993. For me Brian McCormack was one of the most under rated footballers of his generation. And they had the mecurial Eamon Coleman as manager.
BUT, they hurt us in Newry on a wet day in the Marshes the year before and we owed them one AND their All Ireland title was on the line.
Where do you start with the Down team on that day. Collins was magnificent, that save from Tohill alone should have earned him an All Star. Paul Higgins changed the game when he was introduced, he didn't allow Brolly a second. DJ commanded the half back line, he played like a man possessed. Our midfield shaded the battle with Tohill and McGilligan. Greg McCartan in particular had an excellent game, possibly his best game in a Down shirt and definetly his best celabration at the final whistle.
The star of the show, the star of that team ran the game from centre half forward. Blaney was just ahead of the game, he made decisons before anyone else knew what he was even thinking about, no solo, no bounce just a straight, quick ball into the corners. Linden in particular made hay in the Celtic Park sunshine. Wee James, probably scored the point of the year when he seemed to carry the ball for an age, bit for me his best score was in the first half, when he won his own ball and banged it over the bar. Similar to Heaneys snap shot in the second half.

Fergal P McCusker scored a fortuitous goal, which swung the game in Derrys favour and wee Pete introduced Ciaran McCabe for Gerard Deegan and the rest, as they say is history. Greg McCartan added another point from a free, but for me, I knew Derry were beat when McGilligan went down in the 70th minute. Wee James and Blaney were concocting an injury to run down the clock, but McGilligan was down, he had given his all and Derry were vanquished.

Tommy Sugrue blew the final whistle, but we had to wait until September for Sam. Neil Collins saved a penalty in an otherwise, unremarkable season. Whatever about our victory that day and our subsequent victories on the road to Sam, Derry lost the best the manager they ever had through sheer short sightedness and despite managing Cavan, his heart was always in Derry.

For anyone to suggest that anyone from the current panel would do a job on any of the players in that game in '94 is lunacy.

RIP to the two Eamons from 94 and anyone else who has may no longer be with us.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

ardtole

I'm probably 10 years younger than you Ambrose and would have to agree with your post. Ohagan and possibly a fit Ohanlon and Mooney would make the 90s squad from the present teams.

Blaney was outstanding in that game v Derry and he had Henry Downey marking him, what a player he was. I listened to a podcast recently with Tony Scullion, probably the best interview I ever listened to, sheer enthusiasm and pure respect for every team mate and opponent he ever faced. That was a serious Derry team, who looked like they had Downs number before McCabes goal. There probably isn't a player in the country (nevermind down) who would take the scores Wee James did that day, and with such nonchalance.

Mickey Linden is Mickey Linden, very fortunate to be 19 year of age back then, great team. Best Down performance I've seen was the semi final that year v Cork, won by 7 , I think, but it was a complete performance, never looked in trouble.

Ambrose

Do you have a link to the podcat with Tony Scullion?

The Trap

I happened to watch Down v Kerry in 2010 today. Down were absolutely awesome and had some magnificent individual displays.
Was just looking about after watching the 1994 match.........

Godsown

Irrespective of the football wee Marty was useless as a commentator and hasn't aged well

marty34

Quote from: Ambrose on April 26, 2020, 11:33:23 PM
Do you have a link to the podcat with Tony Scullion?

Just google Shane Stapleton Our Game. Should be on there  down the list a bit Ambrose.

He's currently doing interviews with past stars - good enjoyable listening. He's talking to ex-footballers and hurlers.

befair

The real shame is how our game has deteriorated since then; no massed defence (thanks Donegal), no faking injury to get opponents sent off (thanks Tyrone), no short kick-outs.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Ambrose

supersub

Quote from: befair on April 27, 2020, 03:10:01 PM
The real shame is how our game has deteriorated since then; no massed defence (thanks Donegal), no faking injury to get opponents sent off (thanks Tyrone), no short kick-outs.

Has it deteriorated though?

Or is that just a common rhetoric used by those who remember a different style when they grew up and perhaps played?

Mourne Red

Obviously it's a big if at the minute - But clubs been given the go ahead to start training again 20th July, what do we reckon will happen? Will it just be championship played or will they do something with the leagues as well?

Downtothewire

I would think it will just be Championship, the format is anyone's guess as it would need to be meaningful enough for clubs make the effort yet would need to be completed before inter country championship in October. Light is going to be a problem

Dubh driocht

http://www.downgaa.net/news/virtualsong
Comghairdeas to Paula and all involved; absolutely brilliant