Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 22, 2014, 11:38:54 PM

Clubhouses and the like can be financed by the millons of euro we'll save by splitting Dubl$n, we wont have to pay for you to win All Irelands anymore. Plus we'll divide out your aig money. Good times.
What's the problem anyway? Don't you want to win stuff fairly or are you happy to be bought success?

The way forward is to amalgamate weaker counties – it's bound to happen. In such a scenario which county(ies) would be willing to join up with Laois?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Johnnybegood

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 23, 2014, 09:15:09 AM

Clubhouses and the like can be financed by the millons of euro we'll save by splitting Dubl$n, we wont have to pay for you to win All Irelands anymore. Plus we'll divide out your aig money. Good times.
What's the problem anyway? Don't you want to win stuff fairly or are you happy to be bought success?

The way forward is to amalgamate weaker counties – it's bound to happen. In such a scenario which county(ies) would be willing to join up with Laois?
no it's not the way forward IMO , county identity and sporting tribalism is fundament heartbeat of the games at inter county level, striping these would be like removing the bottom bricks of the whole structure. If you advocate counties amalgamating you also advocate splitting Dublin. A fair system of spreading the money evenly is required. And that doesn't mean giving a county money to blow on an outside manager for a quick fix. Bottom line, county boards in meath Kildare etc have been lazy in their administration and are now paying he price.

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on July 23, 2014, 09:07:32 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2014, 08:28:05 AM
Ha! Flynn and MDMA have been practicality full time athletes the last 5 years at least, Flynn now works for a Dublin Sponsor. Everyone knows Bernard Brogan's profile. It's a reality that the money around Dublin GAA allows these guys to be the best they can be. Other counties do this as well so it's by no means a Dublin thing but the history of sport shows us the co-relationship between finance and success. Think Dublin/Man United Kildare/Leeds Donegal/Chelsea.

Flynn spent most of the last five years doing a college course. Like most intercounty teams, there's a lot of full time students in the squad and a good few teachers. These people tend to have the most spare time to devote to training, no matter what county you are in.

Before setting up his new consultancy firm, Bernard Brogan spent years working in an accountancy practice, while studying at night on his accountancy course while fitting in training with the Dubs (and even Plunketts occassionally!). Being a Dub intercounty star doesn't help one iota when it comes to sitting chartered accountancy exams.

My club stumps up 50% of the cash required for a full-time PRO like most clubs in Dublin. We've no all weather facilities and need more pitches for training, but the committee decided that funding the PRO is higher priority. The PRO spends most of him time going to the 3 or 4 primary schools in the area taking sessions with every class in each school. A big driver in this is the battle v soccer an rubgy.

Our PRO only trains one team at the club - a girl's team. He takes one or two sessions a year with most of the other teams in the club and will give the coaches a session once or twice a year. But the vast bulk of the work done in training the young lads and girls at the club is by Dads and Mums who take the teams.

And of course PROs can be hit and miss. The previous PRO we had was good with lads between 15s to minors, but had absolutely no interest in young kids whatsover. The new lad is a bit better, but is perhaps a bit "old school" in terms of discipline, which some like and some don't.

Jaysus... I'm our Club's PRO and I wouldn't be putting in that kind of effort... also where they fcuk is my cash!!! ;)

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on July 23, 2014, 09:48:36 AM

Jaysus... I'm our Club's PRO and I wouldn't be putting in that kind of effort... also where they fcuk is my cash!!! ;)
Frickin TLAs  >:(
(fixed now)

manfromdelmonte

Full time students? With access to all the training facilities and living close to home.
How many third level colleges in eg Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford or Offaly?

Having a full time GPO takes a HUGE burden off the volunteers in the clubs.
Recruitment of players with a school-club link
Providing structured basic coaching to kids before the come to the club
Ability to organise games and blitzes in conjunction with other club GPOs

The point is that there is no equivalent 50% funding for clubs down the country to even think about hiring a GPO. You try and amalgamate 3/4 clubs together and they still wouldn't get funding.

INDIANA

Ha! Flynn and MDMA have been practicality full time athletes the last 5 years at least, Flynn now works for a Dublin Sponsor. Everyone knows Bernard Brogan's profile. It's a reality that the money around Dublin GAA allows these guys to be the best they can be. Other counties do this as well so it's by no means a Dublin thing but the history of sport shows us the co-relationship between finance and success. Think Dublin/Man United Kildare/Leeds Donegal/Chelsea.

What do Daniel Flynn, Sean Hurley, Niall Kelly, Paul Cribbin work at Dinny? And that's just the start. I could add ten more to that.

I am very well connected in Kildare and I know for a fact the vast majority of your players are exactly the same.

Think before you post maybe. Students and teachers .

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 23, 2014, 10:12:50 AM
Full time students? With access to all the training facilities and living close to home.
How many third level colleges in eg Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford or Offaly?

Having a full time GPO takes a HUGE burden off the volunteers in the clubs.
Recruitment of players with a school-club link
Providing structured basic coaching to kids before the come to the club
Ability to organise games and blitzes in conjunction with other club GPOs

The point is that there is no equivalent 50% funding for clubs down the country to even think about hiring a GPO. You try and amalgamate 3/4 clubs together and they still wouldn't get funding.

Our GPO doesn't train our adult teams or have any input into them

He specifically helps out in the local schools and our juvenile teams.

It's up to your county board to ask for the Funding. If they are readily giving it to Laois hurling there shouldn't be a problem

thejuice

I remember before 2011 people often said to me, I hope Dublin won't win an All Ireland as they probably won't shut up about it. Funnily enough it's been rather muted from the capital. It's just the rest of the country won't f**king shut up about Dublin winning.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on July 23, 2014, 07:48:48 AM
Don't matter in answer to your question about winning fair, why don't you debate fair in a constructive manner. Can you name 5 players that played for Dublin on Sunday that came through this money structure your talking about?

Debate what? You received millions to set up successful underage structures and you now have successful underage structures. There's no debating with fact.
O'Carroll, McCarthy, McCaffery, O'Sullivan, McManamon would be 5 names but there's loads more in the squad.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dinny Breen

Quote from: INDIANA on July 23, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

What do Daniel Flynn, Sean Hurley, Niall Kelly, Paul Cribbin work at Dinny? And that's just the start. I could add ten more to that.

I am very well connected in Kildare and I know for a fact the vast majority of your players are exactly the same.

Think before you post maybe. Students and teachers .

Quote Other counties do this as well

What part of that do you not understand?

Also Daniel Flynn is in Adelaide, we don't have the ability to do with him what Dublin did with Ciaran Kilkenny. Niall Kelly is 20, Hurley (probably gone in the autumn to Oz) and Cribben 22 not exactly comparing like to like are we?

I don't know why Dublin supporter are so obtuse over this, you have a financial advantage among other things over every other county is the country. This is not Dublin's issue, this is a wider issue and if not addressed will not only kill the Leinster Championship but probably the All-Ireland as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on July 23, 2014, 08:01:42 AM
Or let's talk about the ones who didn't.

Paul Flynn - 3 Allstars never played  minor for Dublin. Didn't make the u21 team either- was part of the extended squad. A poor u21 team it must be said. His club is intermediate by the way.

MDMA- best midfielder in Ireland at present. Played one year minor on the bench- never played u21.

Bernard Brogan- never played minor for Dublin and only made the dublin 21's in his final year.

Three of Dublin's best players. People keep talking about the development teams- its the clubs that have done most of the work. Same as it was 50 years ago. None of the above had any access to the money and structures people keep going on about.

The Brogans, Cluxton, Connolly and Flynn were around when Dubl$n were getting destroyed, it's the underage machine that has created a team able to compete for All Irelands.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Why should weaker counties get punished for Dubl$ns cheating?
Peter Quinn

LeoMc

Quote from: Johnnybegood on July 22, 2014, 04:23:47 PM
One certain consequence of a Dublin split - no more big Dublin support in Croker. Inter county football would return to the sixties! Bye bye clubhouse, bye bye new pitch, bye bye Roscommon bus!

Think of the crowd for the derbies. :D

LeoMc

Quote from: Johnnybegood on July 23, 2014, 09:28:07 AM

no it's not the way forward IMO , county identity and sporting tribalism is fundament heartbeat of the games at inter county level, striping these would be like removing the bottom bricks of the whole structure. If you advocate counties amalgamating you also advocate splitting Dublin. A fair system of spreading the money evenly is required. And that doesn't mean giving a county money to blow on an outside manager for a quick fix. Bottom line, county boards in meath Kildare etc have been lazy in their administration and are now paying he price.

Maybe we should go the whole hog and split the Country up along electoral boundaries then every team has the same potential pick. :P
Counties are only an English thing anyway.

Johnnybegood

Jack mc cafferey James Mc Carthy Kevin Mcmenoamon all have one thing in common, their fathers played for Dublin,they are steeped in GAA,  they where coming down the line anyway. Cormac costelloe being another. Your argument about underage structures has already Ben destroyed in previous debate and all you can resort to now is calling Dublin cheats. Says more about you than anyone else.
Your own county spent a fortune on outside managers yet not a word from you. You should look to your own county board and endure they are proactive but alas that would be to easy, better to take the hard road and slag off Dublin posters round here claiming we are all junkies.
Silly silly man.