Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2014, 12:08:33 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 21, 2014, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on July 21, 2014, 08:50:03 AM
P.s if youz culchies really love your game you'll get out and start coaching kids and play your part in getting your county in order and rise to the level of standard Dublin have set rather than moaning about the other team being better on an Internet forum
fair point.

however, Dublin have over 100 paid coaches in clubs? That is a huge issue
Our club wouldn't see a paid coach from one end of the year to the next.

If you knew your facts which you clearly don't you'd know the clubs fork out at least 50 percent of the cost of the club coach. Some of them pay 100 percent if they want a particular coach. That's hard earned members cash by the way.

So come back with the facts the next time.

where does the other 50% of the funding come from? Central GAA.
nothing like that available outside the Pale.
not even if 5 clubs pooled together would something like that be funded.

Zulu

dferg

Half the population of Ireland live in Dublin.  So they will always have a good panel to pick from.  Where a player might make it onto another county teams even though they are half a yard short of pace, a couple of inches short of ideal for a particular position or carrying a few pounds that would never happen in Dublin because they don't have to.  They have players like Dean Rock, Kevin McMenamin, Eamon Fennell et al on the bench most weeks that would be the first names on the team sheet in most other counties.

The money from Vodafone, gate receipts, shirt sales etc. mean they can afford to pay the top coaches, dieticians, sports scientists which is pushing an already formidable team to a level that very few can match over 70 minutes.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: dferg on July 21, 2014, 04:08:47 PM
Half the population of Ireland live in Dublin.  So they will always have a good panel to pick from.  Where a player might make it onto another county teams even though they are half a yard short of pace, a couple of inches short of ideal for a particular position or carrying a few pounds that would never happen in Dublin because they don't have to.  They have players like Dean Rock, Kevin McMenamin, Eamon Fennell et al on the bench most weeks that would be the first names on the team sheet in most other counties.

The money from Vodafone, gate receipts, shirt sales etc. mean they can afford to pay the top coaches, dieticians, sports scientists which is pushing an already formidable team to a level that very few can match over 70 minutes.

2013 wants its post back.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

I'm not getting involved in the tit for tat nonsense but I was told a story by a guy recently that I wanted to check with some of the Dublin lads.

He's not one for bullshitting but he reckoned at least 90% of the Dublin lads are Full Time GAA players. I'd love to see the pen pics from yesterdays programme to see the actual occupations but he reckons the majority are students/teachers and that in the summer months they are full time in NADA where their S&C sessions are logged, all their food/supplements are supplied and all physio/rehab is done during the day and they have their field sessions in the evening.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Don't get me wrong there is a hell of a lot of work done before that to get lads into that position but is there any other county in Ireland that could compete with the above?

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2014, 04:35:11 PM
I'm not getting involved in the tit for tat nonsense but I was told a story by a guy recently that I wanted to check with some of the Dublin lads.

He's not one for bullshitting but he reckoned at least 90% of the Dublin lads are Full Time GAA players. I'd love to see the pen pics from yesterdays programme to see the actual occupations but he reckons the majority are students/teachers and that in the summer months they are full time in NADA where their S&C sessions are logged, all their food/supplements are supplied and all physio/rehab is done during the day and they have their field sessions in the evening.

Don't get me wrong there is a hell of a lot of work done before that to get lads into that position but is there any other county in Ireland that could compete with the above?

I can shed light on it for you. Its not true. All training is done in the evening apart from weekends. Same as people saying there are 100 full time coaches is not true. (there are 35 or so)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on July 21, 2014, 04:46:41 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2014, 04:35:11 PM

I can shed light on it for you. Its not true. All training is done in the evening apart from weekends. Same as people saying there are 100 full time coaches is not true. (there are 35 or so)

According to the Irish Times last month, Jason Sherlock was Dublin's 54th full-time coach.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 21, 2014, 02:17:00 PM
P.s if youz culchies really love your game you'll get out and start coaching kids and play your part in getting your county in order and rise to the level of standard Dublin have set rather than moaning about the other team being better on an Internet forum
fair point.

If you knew your facts which you clearly don't you'd know the clubs fork out at least 50 percent of the cost of the club coach. Some of them pay 100 percent if they want a particular coach. That's hard earned members cash by the way.

It's funded by the county board. It's like anything you get what you put into things. We don't spend a 100k a year on waste of time managers. For his time and effort Gavin gets the sum of zero euros. Can the likes of Kildare and others say the same?

For that hundred k you get 6 full time coaches if the clubs cover half the cost. It's costs a club 18k a year for a coach in Dublin.

I stayed in the ground for 40 mins after the final whistle yesterday because I can remember the years from 1995 to 2002 when we couldn't win a Leinster championship. For the all the talk of money we've won 2 all Ireland's since 1983.

Kilkenny and Kerry never get levelled with the sort of media bile out there.

Just look at mayo people laugh at their record in all Ireland finals but forget that they are currently the closest county to Dublin in terms of ability in my view and I doubt very much they've had millions invested.

So they obviously do something right up there. The best outside footballers to play for our club all came from Mayo and they didn't get paid a cent.

Rossfan

Half the population of Ireland live in Dublin.  .
Approx 6.4 million people now live in Ireland ( all 32 counties of it ). 1.3 m in Dublin = 20% roughly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2014, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 21, 2014, 02:17:00 PM
fair point.

It's funded by the county board. It's like anything you get what you put into things. We don't spend a 100k a year on waste of time managers. For his time and effort Gavin gets the sum of zero euros. Can the likes of Kildare and others say the same?

For that hundred k you get 6 full time coaches if the clubs cover half the cost. It's costs a club 18k a year for a coach in Dublin.

I stayed in the ground for 40 mins after the final whistle yesterday because I can remember the years from 1995 to 2002 when we couldn't win a Leinster championship. For the all the talk of money we've won 2 all Ireland's since 1983.

Kilkenny and Kerry never get levelled with the sort of media bile out there.

Just look at mayo people laugh at their record in all Ireland finals but forget that they are currently the closest county to Dublin in terms of ability in my view and I doubt very much they've had millions invested.

So they obviously do something right up there. The best outside footballers to play for our club all came from Mayo and they didn't get paid a cent.

I don't disagree with anything you say. Yesterday Dublin won their 9th Leinster title in ten years. Dublin have lost just once in their last 29 Leinster outings. Leinster is only just a passive hindrance at the Moment to the Capital on it's way to the QFs. This will not change. 

RadioGAAGAA

Due to a number of factors beyond the GAA's control, Dublin have a number of inherent advantages:

- Greater amount of jobs within the county relative to others enticing people to the city and mitigating against the drain some other counties experience.
- Closer proximity of jobs to the home, shortening travel time from home to work to training - giving players relatively more time to devote to the sport.
- Substantially greater numbers playing the game at all levels, despite participation rates probably being relatively low compared to other areas of the country. This obviously increases the chances of finding enough of those with the required mix of skill and dedication to be county grade players.
- Greater concentration of general sporting facilities allowing players to work out at their leisure.

But against that, they have the issue of a greater level of distractions.

We are seeing in the tougher economic times of the past few years that the country teams have lost out as players, or would be players, are too busy concerning themselves with the small matter of putting food on the table to be able to put in the required amount of training to keep up... or they have to move to get work somewhere else. But it knocks on beyond that. Parents don't have time to run their kids to every session, coaches can't find time to run the sessions as much as they'd like and teenagers are walking out from their leaving certs and heading to the airport in their droves to find work abroad.

The economy turned to crap in 2007. Someone that is 22 now was 15 then. It all cascades.

As to what to do about it... it'll need someone brighter than me to fix it.
i usse an speelchekor

dferg

[quuote author=Rossfan link=topic=23775.msg1378960#msg1378960 date=1405960749]
Approx 6.4 million people now live in Ireland ( all 32 counties of it ). 1.3 m in Dublin = 20% roughly.
[/quote]

1.8 million in greater Dublin area vs 120000 in meath.  60000 in Roscommon.  30000 in leitrim. Combined with all the other factors it is a significant advantage

Johnnybegood

Quote from: dferg on July 21, 2014, 09:04:32 PM
[quuote author=Rossfan link=topic=23775.msg1378960#msg1378960 date=1405960749]

1.8 million in greater Dublin area vs 120000 in meath.  60000 in Roscommon.  30000 in leitrim. Combined with all the other factors it is a significant advantage
[/quote]greater Dublin area includes parts of its bordering counties, you keep telling yourself lies sunshine.
Just imagine how good we'd be of we had natural footballers

The Hill is Blue

The solution is obvious then – give counties the option of amalgamating with neighbouring counties to counter Dublin's supposed population advantage.   
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 21, 2014, 09:26:44 PM

The solution is obvious then – give counties the option of amalgamating with neighbouring counties to counter Dublin's supposed population advantage.

The solution is to divvy up the money better.